996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wastegate actuator discussion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
I'm pretty sure that boost pressure helps to keep the wastegate closed as well. Hence the explanation of a 1 BAR wastegate spring holding more than 1 BAR. 1 BAR spring + boost pressure is helping keep the wastegate closed.

The point being made here is that the only thing we are really controlling by tightening or loosening the rod is the response time of the wastegate actuation and hence overshooting or undershooting the desired result. The effect being boost spikes (opening too late) or weak boost buildup (opening too soon) like the factory springs when running above 1 BAR.

I think Markski is right (as usual) in that aftermarket "fuzzy logic" boost controllers can "learn" to compensate for the reaction time of the wastegates. I'm hesitant to run one though because it's one less safety measure we're taking away from the ECU.

While we're on the topic. If you have K24s (or anything that is expected to maintain more than 1 BAR of boost) definitely get upgraded WG springs or wastegates. The difference in mid range torque and high end HP is eye opening.
No, the spring works directly against the boost- otherwise that puppy would never open. And you don't effect response time by changing the length of the rod. IMHO.

There is more to it that "1 Bar" springs- springs are not linear, boost pressure at the intake, and the effect of bleeding pressure at the wastegate are also not one to one.

But I agree that a vastly overlooked mod for people with K24s (X50) is the wastegate mod!

Old 12-14-2008, 02:44 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
I cranked them down this afternoon and my car is running so much stronger and much more responsive it shoots right to 1.2 bar and SHOOTS very quickly my car just feels much quicker than it was before I tightened them down. I'm definitely doing an upgrade!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I'm no expert like some of these guys on this forum...but from a layman's point of view, the wastegate upgrade was one of the best and least expensive performance enhancing modifications that I could have made.....it sure beats the helll out of the somewhat baseless claims about the HP gains from cool air intakes and other expensive mods....at least as it relates to the X50.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:05 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FASTLANE
I cranked them down this afternoon and my car is running so much stronger and much more responsive it shoots right to 1.2 bar and SHOOTS very quickly my car just feels much quicker than it was before I tightened them down. I'm definitely doing an upgrade!
I told you this a month or so ago in one of your threads!! You were figuring out your exhaust and flash, and I said to not forget the wastegates since you have K24s....

I think it is the best 'total package without new turbos' for an X50 car: WG, flash, diverters, exhaust.

A

Old 12-14-2008, 05:10 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ard
I told you this a month or so ago in one of your threads!! You were figuring out your exhaust and flash, and I said to not forget the wastegates since you have K24s....

I think it is the best 'total package without new turbos' for an X50 car: WG, flash, diverters, exhaust.

A
I know but I haven't done anything to my car since then. Now that it's winter I'm back into mod mode!! I'm going to the shop this week. Thanks Ard.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM
ard
Glad we could talk you off the 'sell it' ledge there...

now go jump off that mod cliff.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by ard
Glad we could talk you off the 'sell it' ledge there...

now go jump off that mod cliff.
I know it's been a long strange trip with this car but I absolutely love it! I am doing the WG's and the DV's and then I don't know what I'll be doing? Possibly some cosmetic mods like wheels and I would really like some different seats. I will be visiting my shop this week to go over a plan of attack.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM
benguss is infamous around these parts
I been trying to resolve my wastegate overboost prob for over a year. Markski gave me some pointers and now I run a manual boost **** this really helps in adjusting the wastegates without getting under the car. Mine with PSM on overide any adjustment I made at a certain point above stock, by accident I turned off PSM at the track and behold the electronic function didn't override my adjustment and it was purely my mechanical adjustment. I live in Germany so with the much cooler weather my wastegate opened like on/off switch. Of course every car will have their variables. This set up works for me so it's not to say that it will work for others.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I agree 100%!

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I'm no expert like some of these guys on this forum...but from a layman's point of view, the wastegate upgrade was one of the best and least expensive performance enhancing modifications that I could have made.....it sure beats the helll out of the somewhat baseless claims about the HP gains from cool air intakes and other expensive mods....at least as it relates to the X50.