996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1.6 bar in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 07:34 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Chad,

What is the Motec M800?

Old 09-14-2003, 07:46 AM
PN-
PN- is infamous around these parts
Buddy,

Motec is an Australian made ECU which has a lot of tuning capabilities. Known and used worldwide www.motec.com.au for more info..

PN

Old 09-14-2003, 07:46 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
buddy,

It is an ECU system. I believe from Australia. It cannot function with PSM but it will handle awd traction control. I am going to lose my PSM. The abitity to control ALL the cars engine functions is vastly superior to anything a modded OBDII ECU can even begin to dream about. It easily handles larger and double injectors, CO2 systems, N2O systems, etc. It has the ability to control just about anything you care to install on your car. The ability to finely tune your car is vastly greater. The downside is the cost. The upside is changes to the program are easy and you are not at the mercy of most individual tuners/programmers "Top Secret BS."

Last edited by cjv; 09-14-2003 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:01 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
M800 is a product that we use on a regular bases and it is without a doubt the best aftermarket ECU available. Unfortunately most of the "tuners" forget that there is life after WOT and drivability is a problem. Many systems are not set properly and things such as cold starts (I mean in real cold weather) and on off around town drivability is not as smooth as the factory ECU. This is not a function of the ECU rather a function of the attention to detail when tuning. When tuned properly the systems can react and drive like any factory ECU setup.

The M800 carries controls for traction control and enough GPOs to handle cam solenoids and anything else you can imagine. The system can be even be used with egas without issue. True sequential firing will allow you to run the large injectors I often mention we run. Cost is not as much as an issue when you consider what the advantages are in the long run and the abilities of the ECU. The system will not allow the PSM to remain in tact. Additional ABS systems will be needed to replace the original PSM/ABS system. The good news is the system is far better braking then the original ABS system in the car now, even without ABS.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:38 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Stephen,

The real good part about the system is you don't have anyone putting a lock out on your ECU so you can't get into it and make changes or even learn what they did to your car. If you want to make a change that is not part of their canned program you can get someone to handle it in a reasonable amount of time. Finally, no one at Motec feels threatened by you when you ask them to perform a simple change to a program.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I am not refering to you, but to a company you have to work with for programming. You know what I am talking about. I know if you had your choice, you would not operate that way. Most of all, you don't feel threaten by someone who is competitive because you understand what you do in the past or today does not keep you competitive tomorrow.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:13 AM
deanger is infamous around these parts
Re: 1.6 bar in 3rd gear

Originally posted by MattLA
After installing stage 4GT with a 100 octane program, the car is officially nuts. I was driving the car pretty hard last night in 68 degree weather and hit 1.6 bar in 3rd gear.
With aplogies to Dave from Ferrarichat, I must use his standard reply to such pieces of news...

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2003, 11:28 AM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by cjv
the upside is changes to the program are easy and you are not at the mercy of most individual tuners/programmers "Top Secret BS."
LOL!

What is the cost for this?

Old 09-14-2003, 11:37 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
How much is this Motec ECU?? What modification to the ABS would be necessary to make it work?? This is sounding interesting....

Last edited by msindi; 09-14-2003 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:24 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by PorschePhD
When tuned properly the systems can react and drive like any factory ECU setup.

I think this was something I was trying to say when haven ridden in different "chipped" cars. I've always liked the GIAC boost maps (rode regularily with my pal's GIAC 993TT and 996TT) but it seems smooth at all ranges, which is great for different kinds of driving. My upsolute was great at WOT but I really like doing canyon/mountain drives and GIAC's software seems to focus on that kind of element, which is neat. Just makes driving at anytime more than that it used to be be over stock. Oh and the AFRs are conservative enough to be almost at factory level. I'm not looking to eke out every last HP. I want something fast but I'll loose 30hp for a few more miles on my motor

Now that tranny.. is another thing!

Old 09-14-2003, 08:32 PM
cjv
BCS996tt,

Actually, Jerry West in San Jose can take care of any modifications quickly and efficiently. Go to the Motec website and there are dozens of shops that can work on Motec.

The reason I decided to change was I was having some problems with my throttle body shutting down when I pushed past 1.3 bar. I inquired with two GIAC reps to see if they could correct this problem. The reply from both was Garrett at GIAC claims he could could but would not do it until after the little shootout with the Stage V.

Hmmmm, sounds like Garrett at GIAC is more than a little concerned about the cjv/ s car go. I guess now he should be.

Last edited by cjv; 09-14-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
cjv,

Do you really believe Garrett Lim is a better programmer than Todd Knighton? You could be right, but I am not convinced yet.

I had some friends look at my ECU program, and they tell me that Todd's work is pretty top notch. He is able to hack into the ECU code encryption way more than almost anyone. Put it this way, what he did is way way way more sophisticated and extensive than the GIAC programs my friends have seen...

I can't wait til this little shootout occurs. To say the least it will be interesting. I met Todd @ EVO and he is a great guy.

I hope EVO does well at the Shootout. His setup is really CLEAN!

Garrett Lim has plenty to worry about with the cjv/s-car-go. I just hope to be the little dark horse.

Oh one last thing, let me know if you ever get Motec to work properly and as reliably as the stock ECU This is not a trivial thing on our cars... but best of luck.

In the meanwhile, Wilber has some ideas on how to tune ECUs in the future. I'll give you a hint, it's Japanese

Just remember, there is something to be said for simplicity.

BTW Sharky, I hope you have your car ready soon, because my little blue car is getting hungry...

Old 09-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by MattLA
Yo Tyson, the car has a high compression headliner right?
Hey Matt, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so...

I think we need to run some canyons sometime... let's see what your 1.6bar can do.

Saw your car this weekend at AutoFest, car looks great!

Now all you need is Stage 5.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:55 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
BTW Sharky, I hope you have your car ready soon, because my little blue car is getting hungry...
Hehe working on it man. Looking promising thus far. Going to do a few tweaks here and there and some tests and then when you come up for that shootout, I'll be at Sac and run you From a stop I think it'll be interesting

PS I'll have to take the spinners off though, otherwise people will think I'm spinng out on the line.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:01 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Sharkster,

What engine mods are you doing to your car?

Old 09-15-2003, 07:15 AM
cjv
Hamann,

I really don't know about Todd/Protomotive versus Garrett/GIAC. I do know, to date, Todd has not been able to solve the 1.3 bar throttle body shutdown problem. He wants me to bring the car down to his facility now. I may do this to give him one last try before I go with the Motec.

Regarding Garrett, I don't want his grid programming. I have a 1.3 bar problem relating to the throttle body. He "claims" to have an answer, but who "really" knows. By his actions, he is obviously concerned about the "Stage V" meeting "cjv/ s car go". I just can't believe his mentality. He thinks this will kept me from obtaining my answers? What it really does is make me more determined than ever to find the answer without his assistance, and I will.

And then.....

Last edited by cjv; 09-15-2003 at 07:20 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1.6 bar in 3rd gear