996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1.6 bar in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 07:24 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Tyson,
Todd does good work, however Garrett has over 13 years doing this and has direct ties with Bosch. It is also a common known fact that Todd has gotten help from Garrett on more than one occasion whether publicly denied or not. Several in the industry got their start from Garrett. No offense meant here, but Todd can't remove the 1.3 TBC which show a hole in the understanding of 7.8 Garrett can even remove the PSM and or adjust. There are half a dozen ways to hack into a 7.8 brain, there is one proper way to tune it. Sounds funny I know, but there are ways to patch the code and move things and there is a way to rewrite from a clean sheet the program. This is what only a few people in the industry can do. Also FWIW Motec can be reliable, I do it every day with many EFI systems. The difference is the install and the tuner. On average it takes me 30+ hours to tune an aftermarket ECU to act like a daily driver. The only issue that remains is where the factory ECU is adaptive the Motec range is not. It will control trim, but the system does not have the ability to hold several maps and switch without a data upload. It was great meeting you and Wilber. We talk all day up here, but to finally put a name with a face is great!

Old 09-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Stephen, with all due respect, it is also common knowledge that Garrett has also gotten help from Todd. If you don't believe me, why don't you ask Garrett?

Todd has been tuning Porsches exclusively for way longer than Garrett, and you know that. Only recently has GIAC spent a lot of time and energy on Porsche, before they were doing a lot of the Japanese cars. I am not saying that Garrett is not a great programmer, because he is. But I don't think it is fair nor accurate to say that GIAC is more experienced in Porsche ECU tuning than Protomotive.

Only time will tell if the GIAC program is superior or not.

By the way, I believe Todd will be able to fix the 1.3 TBC problem. He just hasn't run up on this issue before, but I have the same problem and we hope to solve it soon.

It was great to meet you at AutoFest too! Look forward to seeing you guys at this Shootout, whenever that is...

Old 09-15-2003, 02:14 PM
MattLA is infamous around these partsMattLA is infamous around these parts
Yo Tyson, ask Wilbur how fast the car is. I've driven your car before, it's not that great. I had it out at California Speedway a few months ago with Wilbur, I was not that impressed.

Old 09-15-2003, 02:17 PM
deanger is infamous around these parts
'Dems fightin' words!

Old 09-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Not trying to start a fight, just speaking the truth. Wilbur will even admit it himself.

Old 09-15-2003, 02:32 PM
deanger is infamous around these parts
I got five bucks says Wilber says his old car will smoke yours...

Old 09-15-2003, 03:13 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I'll take your five bucks and throw down another 10 large (that's a whole ten bucks) to see you show up at Sacramento drag strip to line up with me Sound good?

Old 09-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Porsche Fiend
Matt, that's a crock of **** and you know it. You NEVER, EVER drove my car at any point in time except in your wildest dreams, so stop lying. Wilber has never let anyone drive the car except for his mechanic, myself, and Watt.

I never had anything against you, but now you're making this personal. You bone out on your buddy Michael at By Design, and now you think you're a hot tuner?

The fact is you got a RIDE in the car with Wilber driving, and not even at full throttle I am told, since it was for a Parade lap at the Festival of Speed. So get your facts straight or else everyone will assume this is the type of integrity we can expect from Meridian.

I really think you should be the last person to talk considering how shoddy your tuning is.

Don't forget that we embarrassed Bobby's supposed 540hp FVD 996TT that you put together at By Design.

Might I also remind you that we use the same dealership to service our cars? While my car has had no major problems, your previous car that you put together at By Design with the GIAC 100 octane program had race gas mixed in with the OIL!!! I feel sorry for whoever bought your car.

Should I even get into what real Porsche tuners think of your setups?

Why don't you ask OUR mechanic whose car is faster, since you obviously don't know how to drive properly? You couldn't even lose me up Latigo Canyon back when I was driving a 740i, so don't even start to tell me how fast your car is.

Speaking of which, Wilber took a ride with Todd in your new Stage 4GT with the 1.6bar boost. Talk about UNDERWHELMING-- your car at 1.5bar pulls like my car 0.7 bar or when my headers were cracked and leaking boost, literally.

I think you should really invest the extra dollars into Stage 5.

If you think your car is such hot ****, come to the Shootout. If you'd like, we can go to the track and go one on one.

There is no way in hell you boys at Meridian can play in our league. Instead you rely on EVO and then screw it all up by turning up the boost.

I must say, you might win the stereo competition, however.

By the way, I like the Gemballa GTR bodykit, fits your and Meridian's image nicely Can you say, ICE ICE BABY...

Old 09-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Porsche Fiend
Oh, just for reference, Matt's previous car was a 996TT with TechArt type 2 bodykit, whose idea of a "tuning package" was to run only 100 octane and run 1.3 bar of boost. That was the extent of his R&D.

Sense a common theme going on here?

I guess the rest of us must be stupid or something. I mean, why spend all the extra dollars in engineering a turbo swap and custom plumbing if all you have to do is turn up the boost?

Old 09-15-2003, 04:21 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Yeah.....you can't beat that.

JamE55 is infamous around these parts
Wow!

Why don't you guys settle this at the California Speedway's for 1/4mi? I'll be more than happy to video tape it for you guys.

Porsche Fiend
Originally posted by sharkster
I'll take your five bucks and throw down another 10 large (that's a whole ten bucks) to see you show up at Sacramento drag strip to line up with me Sound good?
Sounds good. I'll race ya.

Then you can come down to Willow Springs and I'll run laps with you too.

I'll match your bet.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Gosh Tyson, you sure did take that personally. But really, I did drive Wilbur's car on the straightaway at Cal. Speedway just as you exit the raceway.
As for the 740 in the canyons, I had to wait for you and everyone else that didn't know the canyons, I didn't want to see any wipeouts which we did, remember the yellow cab.
As far as tuning goes, Wilbur and Todd did all of the R&D. You had nothing to do with it. You pretty much inhereted the car.
And as for the shoot, I'll be there.
You should't take things so personally, it's just a car bro.
By the way in regards to McKenna, any mechanic there will vouch for the shotty work done on your car. It was there like every week.
Chill out bro.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
Sounds good. I'll race ya.

Then you can come down to Willow Springs and I'll run laps with you too.

I'll match your bet.
Hehe you're on in Sac then.

But I think you meant to say "I'll run laps around you" at Willow Springs I've only tracked it a couple of times at Buttonwillow. I don't have any fancy suspension other than H&R sways....

Old 09-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hey Matt,

Wanna get Dan or Stanley @ McKenna on the phone? Let's do a conference call this week and settle this once and for all. I can tell you for a fact that there have been ZERO problems with the engine, unlike your car. My service history is clean, I've already checked. Unlike your cars which have a notoriously bad reputation, McKenna's techs have said the Protomotive setup is one of the cleanest and high quality they have ever seen, and it has been trouble free.

Wilber once again confirms that you NEVER drove the car.

Matt, if you think your really faster than me, then let's race and get it out of the way. You'd better leave your PSM on, because you will literally wipe out the way you drive. Don't think for a second your a better driver than me, because you are not, and I know that for a fact.

Yes I inherited the car. Did you tune your Stage 4GT, with the exception of turning up the boost to 1.6bar? NO. You rely on EVO because your shop has no R&D ability of their own. And thank god Todd Zuccone seems to know what he's doing. So that puts us in the same boat, doesn't it?

And don't worry, the car will go through another round of tuning soon, and it DOESN'T involve cranking up the boost to 1.6bar.

I have nothing against you per se, but I don't appreciate you spreading lies about my car. I understand that your business is slow, but no need to get dirty. I would even send you customers if you guys didn't resort to lying.

You had a friend in wilber, but I think you've just burned that bridge. I feel bad for you guys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: 1.6 bar in 3rd gear