996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Moton Tripples, more negative camber - finally, a chance to use them!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:16 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
motons leaking? no! I can't believe this.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Yea, the oil probably came from my over-oiling the 3 upper suspension attachment nuts to keep them from rusting during the wet event we had recently. It's the trickle-down theory. I also suspect my new Moton canister gauge is faulty. :-)

Old 12-19-2008, 04:00 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
check your lines from the cannister to the strut. mainly the fittings at the base of the strut. don't get me started on moton leaks...

Old 12-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Everything is fine in the strut zone. The canister leaks are in both rear units.

I guess the plus for me is the Moton USA distributor is 35 minutes away and I can easily plop this deal into the "lap of Lex" (as opposed to luxury).

Last edited by Al Norton; 12-19-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:40 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Oh, that's really too bad about your new Motons! I was hoping the problems with new parts leaking was limited to the run from which Oak's clubsports had come. Oh well, I guess this is the price for sublime adjustability. PSS10s would generally run years w/o leaking. =)

Lex is going to try his hand at the 2nd rebuild on mine, Christmas eve! He's a good guy.

As for tuning guides, I've been using 3 different things to come up with ideas on how to adjust setup. I have a few books on chassis engineering mechanics and design, with lots of equations, graphs and the like. I like anything with equations when I want real info, no opinions. I have a few books on general chassis design and tuning theory, with general advice and opinions on how to design and adjust for different situations. Lastly, I've been spending a lot of time just thinking about how the dampers should affect force transfer, along with chassis geometry, alignment, and springs - then going out and trying things. I change 1 damper setting on the car every few days and just drive it - good or bad. So I can experience it in a variety of turns, surface conditions, etc.

All that aside, I have found at least 2 good tables that well illustrate the range of high/low speed rebound/compression adjustments that can be made, depending on the dynamic condition you're attempting to fix. It's a lot to memorize, so it's good to take the time to understand why the adjustments work the way they do. I'll see if I can dig them up and post...

Oh, by the way, how did you diagnose your PSM failure? I take the CEL had a relavant code? After experiancing (and subsequently fixing) my poor engine running condition, I just bought the Durometric software. Had I known 4 cylinders were misfiring, and camshaft adjusters were complaining, I probably would have pulled off track sooner! Hope your PSM and Motons are better soon!

Originally Posted by Al Norton
Hi P,

Glad to see you're getting some useful data for tuning the shocks. I haven't been so fortunate. I've had 2 more track events since my PSM control unit failure; one was too wet and the other too cold to get any meaningful data. Don't feel too bad about the leaks and rebuilds. Mine are new and I have 2 canisters that won't hold a charge for very long as well as one body that has a slight leak. I know there have been others with similar problems on new ones.

What knowldge base are you using to make your adjustments? Have you found an in-depth guide for setup and tuning the shocks? What Moton provides is woefully inadequate. Wish I could find something like the old Carroll Smith pocket reference that told you what the problem was if the car was doing X.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:44 PM
itacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the roughitacud is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by oak
check your lines from the cannister to the strut. mainly the fittings at the base of the strut. don't get me started on moton leaks...
Hah hah... (laughter of sadness). How many leaks did you have Oak? I'm hoping this 2nd leak is my last!

Old 12-19-2008, 05:52 PM
oak
you know it's taken pretty much this whole year to have all leak issues settled. it burnt me out. I haven't even driven my car since I got it back and havent' checked to see if they are leaking from the last install. I went through 13 struts so far and havn't even driven my last install so...

Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Took the car to a place with a PWIS scanner and they diagnosed the failure of the PSM control unit. There were some voltages that were not correct, or something. Everything seems OK now. I don't remember all the codes my Durametric was giving.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, my car will spend the holidays sitting on a lift! Moton is going to stick the strut on a shock dyno and cycle it for a couple of days, after rebuilding... so hopefully this time they'll uncover any potential problems before the strut is reinstalled.

Oak, has Moton been handling your problem directly? They seem so helpful... I'm surprised that you've gone through 13 struts! I'd be out of patience long before that point. I hope you get to drive the car soon!