996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

C6Z06 Intake and Tune compared to 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:15 AM
DRMitchell is infamous around these parts
"Why would you compare a modern ZO6 to an old 996tt. if you take stock cars from the same years, the 996 turbo from 2001 to 2003 spanks the ZO6 of the same year in every magazine road test. The ZO6 had a hard time making it into the high 12's, it was a solid low 13 in the 1/4. All of the mags at the time had the 996 Turbo running the 1/4 in about 12.2 to 12.6 at 116 mph. So the 996 was .5 seconds faster. It isn't until 2005 that the ZO6 gets faster than the 996 turbo. "

The magazine times might have been due to runflats.

My stock 2002 z06 felt a lot faster than my stock 02TT. Haven't taken the TT to the strip yet, and it is no longer stock, but the 02 Z06 with Kuhmos instead of runflats felt a LOT faster. First time ever down (any drag strip) I ran 12.6 at SDR. Out of six runs, I hit 12.6x three times.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
+1, these were my first thoughts as well... the same year range 996tt is definitely quicker than a Z06 and would absolutely decimate the Z06 in real world conditions such as a wet road. I also agree that I would take a Supra TT over a Z06 but not a 996tt.

Why are we talking about a bowtie in a Porsche forum anyway?

Originally Posted by FaFaSupra
Why would you compare a modern ZO6 to an old 996tt. if you take stock cars from the same years, the 996 turbo from 2001 to 2003 spanks the ZO6 of the same year in every magazine road test. The ZO6 had a hard time making it into the high 12's, it was a solid low 13 in the 1/4. All of the mags at the time had the 996 Turbo running the 1/4 in about 12.2 to 12.6 at 116 mph. So the 996 was .5 seconds faster. It isn't until 2005 that the ZO6 gets faster than the 996 turbo.

I have been watching 996TT's and have been thinking about getting an 01. I have seen 01's going for about $45k average these days. I can K24/18 kit in it for 10k plus suspension and clutch for another 5k and I am at 60k. It will walk a new ZO6 and would give the ZR1 a run for it's money at nearly half the price.

Besides I thought supras handled kinda bad in stock form, hell, a ZO6 only corners well on perfectly smooth roads. Get it on any kind of bad road and it hops around and gets scary. I would not sell my supra for a ZO6, but I have considered selling it to get a 996 turbo.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:27 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DRMitchell
"Why would you compare a modern ZO6 to an old 996tt. if you take stock cars from the same years, the 996 turbo from 2001 to 2003 spanks the ZO6 of the same year in every magazine road test. The ZO6 had a hard time making it into the high 12's, it was a solid low 13 in the 1/4. All of the mags at the time had the 996 Turbo running the 1/4 in about 12.2 to 12.6 at 116 mph. So the 996 was .5 seconds faster. It isn't until 2005 that the ZO6 gets faster than the 996 turbo. "

The magazine times might have been due to runflats.

My stock 2002 z06 felt a lot faster than my stock 02TT. Haven't taken the TT to the strip yet, and it is no longer stock, but the 02 Z06 with Kuhmos instead of runflats felt a LOT faster. First time ever down (any drag strip) I ran 12.6 at SDR. Out of six runs, I hit 12.6x three times.
If by SDR you mean silver dollar I've went to the strip with a stock 996 TT cab that went 12.4 @115. The 996 TT is faster than the C5 Z06 from what I've seen. I dont know if there is an ET as fast as the Z06's, but there are far less 996 TT's than C5Z's and even less guys in those TT's that have 100's of passes like Ranger.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 PM
DRMitchell is infamous around these parts
yep, SDR. Could be the TT is faster. That said I have a total of about 10 passes down a drag strip. Have been waiting for you to get the crew together for a trip, so I can get some coaching.

From a roll, my current, "Stage 1" set up is about dead even with C6 Z51 car. The C6 Z51 is almost exactly at about the same HP/TQ as the C5 z06.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
No it's bravado because like I said, you act like just any Z06 can go to MIR and trap 130 mph on runflats. I can assure you that you aren't the only person capable of getting the maximum trap speed from a Z06, and that you aren't the only Z06 that drives at your tracks. Yet you're still much faster than all the rest. So unless we can find that ONE GT2 that's faster than all the rest of them then there is no need comparing it to the fastest Z06 there is. Unless of course you have run those times in someone elses car as well.

Good stuff there, Heavy.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DRMitchell
yep, SDR. Could be the TT is faster. That said I have a total of about 10 passes down a drag strip. Have been waiting for you to get the crew together for a trip, so I can get some coaching.

From a roll, my current, "Stage 1" set up is about dead even with C6 Z51 car. The C6 Z51 is almost exactly at about the same HP/TQ as the C5 z06.
Some guys are going tommorrow if you want to go, I wont be making this trip though I'd like to get back out to the strip for an annual test to see how my car is running.

The 08 436 hp car? The C5's do seem to make better use of the power than the C6's for some reason. Makes me wonder what would happen with a factory 427 in a C5Z.

What was your trap at SDR? You can wheel a car if you ran a 12.6 your first time ever at the strip, good stuff!!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Duh, we know that, but annihilate is a bit of a strong word. And you jump on the defensive every time someone here mentions beating a Z06 as if the driver couldnt drive when there is more likely a chance that your Z06 is not so "stock" unless of course you've trapped 130 and ran 10's in MORE THAN ONE "STOCK" Z06.

Z06 will not annihilate a 996 GT2 on any road course, that I can promise you.

No it's bravado because like I said, you act like just any Z06 can go to MIR and trap 130 mph on runflats. I can assure you that you aren't the only person capable of getting the maximum trap speed from a Z06, and that you aren't the only Z06 that drives at your tracks. Yet you're still much faster than all the rest. So unless we can find that ONE GT2 that's faster than all the rest of them then there is no need comparing it to the fastest Z06 there is. Unless of course you have run those times in someone elses car as well.

hmmmmmmmm..................

No one is arguing that the Z06 isnt the faster car, it should be with more power and less weight. But your Z06 heroism is getting old.
Whats getting old is your Porsche Worship! Why would I want to build up a Z06 if it wasn't true? And I believe any Z06 is just as capable as my car with the right driver, and never claimed different. The biggest difference is I am realist and even though my GT2 cost 200k new and my Z06 was only 68k I am not going to pretend it is something its not, the GT2 is a great car and I love it, it is better quality than the Z and it ought to be for 3 times the cost, I also like driving the GT2 better because it feels smaller and I like smaller, but its not better looking than the Z IMO and its not faster, not even close stock to stock accelleration wise. Thats all I have ever said about the Z, but it gets old listening to all these POSERS with Porsches running the Z down when in reality the Z would kick the sh*t out of them, and that includes 997 versions who ever posted a couple posts back about comparing 996 to the Z. I just feel a person should tell it like it is, not how you want it to be and if you call that Bravdo I guess I am guilty?

Last edited by jamie furman; 01-30-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXGold
Good stuff there, Heavy.
Whats so good about it?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FaFaSupra
Why would you compare a modern ZO6 to an old 996tt. if you take stock cars from the same years, the 996 turbo from 2001 to 2003 spanks the ZO6 of the same year in every magazine road test. The ZO6 had a hard time making it into the high 12's, it was a solid low 13 in the 1/4. All of the mags at the time had the 996 Turbo running the 1/4 in about 12.2 to 12.6 at 116 mph. So the 996 was .5 seconds faster. It isn't until 2005 that the ZO6 gets faster than the 996 turbo.
I strongly disagree.
Quite a few bone stock 2002-2004 Z06's have made it into the high 11's at 116-118mph, it all comes down to the driver.
Even some of the car mags had the 2004 Z06 at 12.4 @ 116.
It is a tough car to launch consistently, but with practice can be very quick.

The biggest issue with the C5 Z06 is the very stiff suspension, which has a tendency to skip a bit over mid-corner bumps, but a good aftermarket set of shocks, or better yet, coilovers, takes care of that.

996/997 are certainly nice cars, but price of admission is a factor for some.
It's nice to be able to enjoy a fast, great handling car without breaking the bank.
Plus, when mods are brought into the picture, all bets are off, and the C5 Z06 is one of the better platforms to tweak.
Tough to beat a TT V8 engine on pump gas in a 3200lb car!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vrybad
I strongly disagree.
Quite a few bone stock 2002-2004 Z06's have made it into the high 11's at 116-118mph, it all comes down to the driver.
Even some of the car mags had the 2004 Z06 at 12.4 @ 116.
It is a tough car to launch consistently, but with practice can be very quick.

The biggest issue with the C5 Z06 is the very stiff suspension, which has a tendency to skip a bit over mid-corner bumps, but a good aftermarket set of shocks, or better yet, coilovers, takes care of that.

996/997 are certainly nice cars, but price of admission is a factor for some.
It's nice to be able to enjoy a fast, great handling car without breaking the bank.
Plus, when mods are brought into the picture, all bets are off, and the C5 Z06 is one of the better platforms to tweak.
Tough to beat a TT V8 engine on pump gas in a 3200lb car!

I had a friend with a 2002 Z06 go 12.00 @ 119 at Englishtown with a bone stock car on runcraps. NEVER would have believed it if I didn't see it for myself.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jamie furman
Whats getting old is your Porsche Worship! Why would I want to build up a Z06 if it wasn't true? And I believe any Z06 is just as capable as my car with the right driver, and never claimed different. The biggest difference is I am realist and even though my GT2 cost 200k new and my Z06 was only 68k I am not going to pretend it is something its not, the GT2 is a great car and I love it, it is better quality than the Z and it ought to be for 3 times the cost, I also like driving the GT2 better because it feels smaller and I like smaller, but its not better looking than the Z IMO and its not faster, not even close stock to stock accelleration wise. Thats all I have ever said about the Z, but it gets old listening to all these POSERS with Porsches running the Z down when in reality the Z would kick the sh*t out of them, and that includes 997 versions who ever posted a couple posts back about comparing 996 to the Z. I just feel a person should tell it like it is, not how you want it to be and if you call that Bravdo I guess I am guilty?

You know, I got to say "props" to you, Jamie.
You're a car guy through and through, and you appreciate many makes/models, just as many others do here.
Keep telling it like it is.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
You know, I got to say "props" to you, Jamie.
You're a car guy through and through, and you appreciate many makes/models, just as many others do here.
Keep telling it like it is.

I love my turbo, but sometimes the truth hurts!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 07:52 PM
^^
For some reason, my quote function works sporadically, so I can't quote you, Mike!

It's all good, just a bunch of car fanatics choosing our poison!
I agree about build quality concerns with the GM models, but the vettes are above average in their domestic environment.
I've had absolutely no reliability issues with mine, and I'm running decent boost on a 10.5:1 compression engine.
I'm thinking sooner or later something is going to give.
With a Porsche TT, you get what you pay for.
Certainly great quality, nice materials and fit and finish.
Can't beat that with a stick!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by jamie furman
I've seen your posts on the Viper forums and trust me I may just be a kettle but I'm sure you here the whistling of freshly brewed tea on a regular basis.

Just face it that the Z06 can lose, and has lost, to many a person on this forum, in many forms of comparisons. So unless you're going to arrange rematches for every time it's happened your going to have to suck it up.

And like I said, let's see more of those 10's and 130 mph traps in some other cars before we act like it's consistent enough to be claimed by the factory.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-31-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 PM
^^
For some reason, my quote function works sporadically, so I can't quote you, Mike!

It's all good, just a bunch of car fanatics choosing our poison!
I agree about build quality concerns with the GM models, but the vettes are above average in their domestic environment.
I've had absolutely no reliability issues with mine, and I'm running decent boost on a 10.5:1 compression engine.
I'm thinking sooner or later something is going to give.
With a Porsche TT, you get what you pay for.
Certainly great quality, nice materials and fit and finish.
Can't beat that with a stick!

I've had 4 Corvettes, 1 stock, 1 twin turbo, 1 procharged, and 1 single turbo. If I ever get another one, it will likely be a C6 Z06. Not sure If I can own a vehicle that sucks air in on its own? Mad respect for these new Corvettes, I hope I get to run one soon, but not a twin turbo one

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C6Z06 Intake and Tune compared to 996tt