996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

C6Z06 Intake and Tune compared to 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bluecuda
You guys are making me sad. All I can do is sit inside and watch snow, and I can't drive my Z06 or my 996TT. All this discussion makes me want to cancel my order for a ZR-1 and mod my Z06!!
I feel your pain - it is friggin' cold here in MN. I took my Z up to DRM on Tuesday for it winter track maintance and it was about 10 degrees outside. No traction in any gear at any speed. It was good to hear the V8 rumble though - it will have to get me through until the trip to TX2K9 at the end of March.

Originally Posted by jamie furman

ATOMIC Z, no offense but stock vs stock is not a drivers race, the Z06 wins easy! And yes my GT2 does run similar times but it has a tune and exhaust and waste gate acuators that allow it to pull an extra .2 bar of boost, not to mention with drag radials my best 60' in the Z is 1.70 and in the GT2 my best is 1.54 so it gets a big advantage on the holeshot. Both cars best et is 10.83 at 130 with drag radials and the best with stock tires for the Z is 10.98 at 129 and for the GT2 its 11.13 at 127 so they are very close but the Z is bonestock!
No offense taken. I did not know the GT2 was modded. Good times in both cars. I ran my Z06 stock at the strip once and was only able to consistantly trap 122-124 mph with horrible 60' times.

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Good call, bro. I think the ZR1 is an awesome car, but the honest truth is I would rather have a properly modifed Z06. It weighs less, looks better (IMO) and can be purchased and modifed for considerably less than the price of a ZR1 considering the current markup.

That said, my personal opinion from owning both cars (996TT and Z06) and also driving 996 GT2s, a 997TT and 997 GT2, is that Porsches are far better cars all-around.

But when talking about bang for the buck, the Z06 is very, very hard to beat.
Agreed - Bang for the buck the Z06 is hard to beat. As far as an overall car - the Porsche wins that battle - but you do pay considerably more $$ to get it.

Originally Posted by Shotcaller
Even tweety gt2 ON PUMP GAS ran neck2neck until 5th against Dennis cammed C6Z
Modded vs Modded ........ but I do like tweety and the walnut.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:22 AM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I've seen your posts on the Viper forums and trust me I may just be a kettle but I'm sure you here the whistling of freshly brewed tea on a regular basis.

Just face it that the Z06 can lose, and has lost, to many a person on this forum, in many forms of comparisons. So unless you're going to arrange rematches for every time it's happened your going to have to suck it up.

And like I said, let's see more of those 10's and 130 mph traps in some other cars before we act like it's consistent enough to be claimed by the factory.

Your right! I am sure there are plenty of modified TT's that can put the Z on the trailer as I stated earlier in this thread, or did you choose not to read that sentence? I know you have an anti Z06 agenda, but I have to say though I don't understand where you get this 10's at 130 stuff you keep calling common place? Who ever said it was common place, YOU? It was done a couple times by me on some of the best passes I ever made in some of the best weather I have ever run in, all I did was post what was possible in a Z with a perfect pass in perfect conditions. I would say the average for the Z with a good driver in average conditions is 11.3 to 11.5 average at 126 to 128 mph IMO based on actual track experience, and of course in perfect conditions with a perfect pass much better et and mph as I have done and others have as well. And if you go on the Viper Forums I know you are aware they are in Denial over there as well! But I am also sure you must know I have the fastest run ever by a bone stock Viper, my ACR ran an 11.07 at 130mph at a 6speed rental a couple months ago with a paper tag and 120 miles on the odometer my first time out in a Viper in 3 years.
So maybe I am just LUCKY!

My GT2 best et is 10.83 at 130 mph with tune, tires and exhaust, which I think is the fastest pass ever for a GT2 with stock turbo's and no engine work? My Viper ACR best et is 11.07 at 130 mph bone stock which is the fastest pass ever by a stock Viper, My best et in my Ford GT is 10.68 at 136mph with pulley and tune and stock tires, My best et in my Z06 is 10.83 at 130 mph with drag radials which is the fastest pass ever in a stock Z. So Heavy let me ask you with these 4 awesome cars what is my motivation to talk up the Z if it wasn't true? Why wouldn't I just post I had a Z and it isn't all that fast so I sold it because all my others cars are awesome? I think it all boils down to bias for what you own and unfortunately most people are biased to whatever they own and don't want to hear something is better or faster than what they own, in my case I can be unbiased and I am, because I own them all.

Last edited by jamie furman; 01-31-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 AM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Whats getting old is your Porsche Worship! Why would I want to build up a Z06 if it wasn't true? And I believe any Z06 is just as capable as my car with the right driver, and never claimed different. The biggest difference is I am realist and even though my GT2 cost 200k new and my Z06 was only 68k I am not going to pretend it is something its not, the GT2 is a great car and I love it, it is better quality than the Z and it ought to be for 3 times the cost, I also like driving the GT2 better because it feels smaller and I like smaller, but its not better looking than the Z IMO and its not faster, not even close stock to stock accelleration wise. Thats all I have ever said about the Z, but it gets old listening to all these POSERS with Porsches running the Z down when in reality the Z would kick the sh*t out of them, and that includes 997 versions who ever posted a couple posts back about comparing 996 to the Z. I just feel a person should tell it like it is, not how you want it to be and if you call that Bravdo I guess I am guilty?
Both this post and the one above... Nicely written !!!

Props to you & Tony (Nine Ball) for posting facts, backed up by your many years of "hands-on" experience.

Quite refreshing really.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper

Last edited by trumperZ06; 01-31-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:24 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Guys,

I am the original poster of this thread. This thread has definitely digressed off a lot... my intention was not to knock the Z06. In fact its an awesome car by all standards...I am referring to a C6Z06, not much respect for the c5's. IMHO C6Z06 is the best bone stock performance car. Its defintely not in the same quality level as a p car but the price of the p car is also twice when purchased new.

The only question i had was ...what does it take for my 996tt to beat a tune+intake c6Z06?? The c6z06 is my benchmark to beat.I have my answer now , to clearly put some car lengths on it I need atleast a K24/18G and 5 bar FPR.

That's it .

I have already tried to race my friends c6z06 with just a tune etc...there is no way in hell you will even keep up with a stock C6Z06 with just a tune on a 996tt. YOU HAVE TO GET upgraded turbos to keep up or pass it.

Simple math will tell us ...Z06 is 3200lbs and puts about 490 rwhp with a tune and about 440 rwhp stock. A tt is about 3400 lbs and puts a max of 450 whp with a tune, exhaust etc. so its simple z06 will pull ahead easy.

But with about 520 whp + and 540 tq+on the 996tt its a different story.

Great information so far.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
11.79 @ 116.3 – Titannero / Stock 996TT
11.86 @ 119.9 - Motor Trend / Stock 996TT X50
11.9x @ 116.1 - Motor Trend / Stock 996TT
12.27 @ 115.9 - Mr.Blonde / Stock 996TT
12.32 @ 118.7 - Gtr / Stock 996TT X50

Here are some averages for 996TT's. good luck trying to get a stock ZO6 from the 2000-2003 period to run these numbers on street tires.

Acting like every ZO6 runs 10's is just laughable. One runs 10's with drag radials. Very good. Good luck getting the rest to run that. Plenty of proof to show that in 01-03 the TT was faster, like it or not. And it isn't far behind the latest version, obviously. I would venture to say that the 997TT if driven by the right person could equal a ZO6 or be very close in the 1/4 mile.

At Denver's elevation, ZO6's suck. I went to Bandimere and the vette guys there told me that they have a hard time breaking into the 13's.

So in the end I will settle for 4/10's of a second less with 10 times the quality, no joke there

Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
vbmw, all it takes is either K24's or K16 hybrids with a tune/exhaust and you will be hard to beat, it all comes down to driver skill. Tunes don't add much to NA engine power. Tunes add tons to turbo power.

Take Ferman for example. There is a reason why he has the fastest ZO6, the fastest mostly stock GT2, etc. It's the driver, he is obviously a good driver and uses the cars to their max.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Prche951
vbmw, all it takes is either K24's or K16 hybrids with a tune/exhaust and you will be hard to beat, it all comes down to driver skill. Tunes don't add much to NA engine power. Tunes add tons to turbo power.

Take Ferman for example. There is a reason why he has the fastest ZO6, the fastest mostly stock GT2, etc. It's the driver, he is obviously a good driver and uses the cars to their max.
I agree. But to have a clear adavantage i was thinking more like a k24/18g where it will become no contest to either a stock or a tuned Z.

Also ...yes 996TT was way ahead of its game during 2001 - 2005...compared to any C5 Z of those times. I have to agree that 996tt is still a great car and will be for the next decade with mods etc.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 AM
sideview has a spectacular aura aboutsideview has a spectacular aura aboutsideview has a spectacular aura about
At sea level a ZO6 is faster in acceleration. At 6k ft, no.

However as Jamie said you can make a pinto fast, and of the two cars the vette's quality is closest to the pinto. The rear suspension came from an 1860's Stage Coach ( leaf spring belongs on a truck not a sports car). Plain and simple, I could have easily purchased a ZO6 when I got my 996. Jamie you are right, there is more to it than just acceleration, hence why I got the TT. Way better car overall. Exudes quality, and everybody and their brother isn't driving one. I see 10-20 newer vettes every day driving to and from work. I might see one TT in a couple of weeks if I am lucky.

I love the ZO6 and have driven one plenty. arguably the second best vette ever behind the new monster. Still no comparison to a 996TT or 997TT for that matter.
You have an engine hanging out past the rear axle and strut suspension in front like a Corolla and you knock the Corvette for engineering?

Anyway, really the leaf spring isn't what you are envisioning. You are thinking of a Hotchkiss leaf spring setup. The idea of suspending a rigid axle on two longitudinal leaf springs has been used since the stage coach days. But, the Corvette doesn't use that setup. The last Corvette with the setup you are thinking of was the 1961 model. Since 1962 the rear suspension has been independent. Since 1984 the car has used a fiberglass spring which is more advanced than the coil springs used on most cars.

The problems with "leaf spring" suspension are related to friction between the leaves of the spring (the Corvette's mono-leaf doesn't have this issue) and asking something as inherently flexible as a spring to locate your axle (the Corvette doesn't do that either).

The Corvette uses A-arms. The leaf spring just applies a force to the arms. The leaf also happens to be lighter than coil springs. It also happens to act as an anti-roll bar.

Carroll Smith said it was a great design even before GM used it. Hard to argue with Smith.

Incidentally, everyone seems to complain about the "rear leaf spring". What about the "front leaf spring". Since 1984 both ends of the Corvette are supported by leaf springs.

PS: Don't take that first paragraph seriously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_leaf_spring

Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vbmw335
I agree. But to have a clear adavantage i was thinking more like a k24/18g where it will become no contest to either a stock or a tuned Z.

Also ...yes 996TT was way ahead of its game during 2001 - 2005...compared to any C5 Z of those times. I have to agree that 996tt is still a great car and will be for the next decade with mods etc.
CLEAR advantage over a tuned/intake Z06 and yes you'll likely need hybrids. Or maybe a K24 with RWD.

To match one you need a GOOD K24/Tune/ Exhast/DV setup. Somewhere in the 530 whp range.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:38 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Your right! I am sure there are plenty of modified TT's that can put the Z on the trailer as I stated earlier in this thread, or did you choose not to read that sentence? I know you have an anti Z06 agenda, but I have to say though I don't understand where you get this 10's at 130 stuff you keep calling common place? Who ever said it was common place, YOU? It was done a couple times by me on some of the best passes I ever made in some of the best weather I have ever run in, all I did was post what was possible in a Z with a perfect pass in perfect conditions. I would say the average for the Z with a good driver in average conditions is 11.3 to 11.5 average at 126 to 128 mph IMO based on actual track experience, and of course in perfect conditions with a perfect pass much better et and mph as I have done and others have as well. And if you go on the Viper Forums I know you are aware they are in Denial over there as well! But I am also sure you must know I have the fastest run ever by a bone stock Viper, my ACR ran an 11.07 at 130mph at a 6speed rental a couple months ago with a paper tag and 120 miles on the odometer my first time out in a Viper in 3 years.
So maybe I am just LUCKY!

My GT2 best et is 10.83 at 130 mph with tune, tires and exhaust, which I think is the fastest pass ever for a GT2 with stock turbo's and no engine work? My Viper ACR best et is 11.07 at 130 mph bone stock which is the fastest pass ever by a stock Viper, My best et in my Ford GT is 10.68 at 136mph with pulley and tune and stock tires, My best et in my Z06 is 10.83 at 130 mph with drag radials which is the fastest pass ever in a stock Z. So Heavy let me ask you with these 4 awesome cars what is my motivation to talk up the Z if it wasn't true? Why wouldn't I just post I had a Z and it isn't all that fast so I sold it because all my others cars are awesome? I think it all boils down to bias for what you own and unfortunately most people are biased to whatever they own and don't want to hear something is better or faster than what they own, in my case I can be unbiased and I am, because I own them all.

ONE SENTENCE your refer to when you've challenged everyone in here that says they've beaten a Z06? That's pretty funny. I do not have an anti Z06 agenda. I like them alot, I just don't believe they have the durability of a Porsche or else I would have one, and still may get one but too worried about it breaking to mod it. I've had a corvette that breaks all the time once already. Not even getting close to that again.

As for the times, like I said, travel outside of your drag paradise bubble and go race some other places and see of you don't end up trapping a 122-124 like some of the other people you claim cant drive. The point I made was that K24 cars are trapping 125 all over the place low elevation, high elevation, good conditions, bad ones. But there sure aren't many Z06's trapping 126 mph + and NONE trapping 128-130 outside of that area.

I don't think there is any person in here that argued that any Porsche short of a CGT or 997 GT2 is as fast in a straight line as a Z06. But what you cant seem to comprehend is that it isnt hard to make the 996 TT fast enough to do so. Go read back through your posts so you can refresh your memory. YOU are the one saying that the GT700 packages etc arent fast enough. My only points are that K16 car with lots of other crap done to it can beat a Z06 on rare occasions and that a K24/exhaust car will beat a Stock Z on average.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:42 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
11.79 @ 116.3 – Titannero / Stock 996TT
11.86 @ 119.9 - Motor Trend / Stock 996TT X50
11.9x @ 116.1 - Motor Trend / Stock 996TT
12.27 @ 115.9 - Mr.Blonde / Stock 996TT
12.32 @ 118.7 - Gtr / Stock 996TT X50

Here are some averages for 996TT's. good luck trying to get a stock ZO6 from the 2000-2003 period to run these numbers on street tires.
C5 Z06 Bone-Stock Times

1--11.783 @ 116.90--1.818--J-Rod---------'02
2--11.818 @ 117.26--1.783--Ranger--------'02 11/03 Slip
3--11.844 @ 117.91--1.761--Gary2004Z06--'04 11/07 Post 229, Slip
4--11.93x @ 119.xx--1.xxx --Esoteric-------'0x
5--11.97x @ 118.80--1.90x--GMHTP--------'04 03/04
6--11.99x @ 117.61--1.xxx --02Z06Racer---'02
7--12.048 @ 115.92--1.866--pwrshfd-------'02 12/03
8--12.08x @ 115.95--1.83x--Pray ----------'02 01/06 Slip
9--12.09x @ xxx.xx --1.79x--UVETTA -------'03
10-12.205 @ 117.96--1.91x--Nat04Z06 -----'04

Taken from the CorvetteForum C5 Z06 Fast list.
That wasn't so hard.
Listen, the cars are closer in performance than you might want to acknowledge.
The difference lies in the way the cars are built, and there you get what you pay for.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM
I am very surprised by these numbers..I pulled on my friends C5Z06 several times with my tuned BMW 335i . Yes the BMW had about 390 whp and C5z06 was bone stock. That made me think the z would run low 12's like the bmw.

Originally Posted by vrybad
C5 Z06 Bone-Stock Times

1--11.783 @ 116.90--1.818--J-Rod---------'02
2--11.818 @ 117.26--1.783--Ranger--------'02 11/03 Slip
3--11.844 @ 117.91--1.761--Gary2004Z06--'04 11/07 Post 229, Slip
4--11.93x @ 119.xx--1.xxx --Esoteric-------'0x
5--11.97x @ 118.80--1.90x--GMHTP--------'04 03/04
6--11.99x @ 117.61--1.xxx --02Z06Racer---'02
7--12.048 @ 115.92--1.866--pwrshfd-------'02 12/03
8--12.08x @ 115.95--1.83x--Pray ----------'02 01/06 Slip
9--12.09x @ xxx.xx --1.79x--UVETTA -------'03
10-12.205 @ 117.96--1.91x--Nat04Z06 -----'04

Taken from the CorvetteForum C5 Z06 Fast list.
That wasn't so hard.
Listen, the cars are closer in performance than you might want to acknowledge.
The difference lies in the way the cars are built, and there you get what you pay for.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:46 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vbmw335
I am very surprised by these numbers..I pulled on my friends C5Z06 several times with my tuned BMW 335i . Yes the BMW had about 390 whp and C5z06 was bone stock. That made me think the z would run low 12's like the bmw.
Well, the times do exist.
What mph will the Bmw trap?
That would tell the story in that regard.
Also may be driver related.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by vrybad
Well, the times do exist.
What mph will the Bmw trap?
That would tell the story in that regard.
Also may be driver related.
335i with Vishnu tunes trap anywhere between 116 and 118 . Btw we were doing 60 -130 pulls all the time.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:07 PM
So with traps like that, and the car being a turbo, which as we all know, tend to pull hard on the top end, I can see the highway race working out that way.
E.T is too driver dependent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C6Z06 Intake and Tune compared to 996tt