996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

C6Z06 Intake and Tune compared to 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:09 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vrybad
So with traps like that, and the car being a turbo, which as we all know, tend to pull hard on the top end, I can see the highway race working out that way.
E.T is too driver dependent.
That i agree.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
ONE SENTENCE your refer to when you've challenged everyone in here that says they've beaten a Z06? That's pretty funny. I do not have an anti Z06 agenda. I like them alot, I just don't believe they have the durability of a Porsche or else I would have one, and still may get one but too worried about it breaking to mod it. I've had a corvette that breaks all the time once already. Not even getting close to that again.

As for the times, like I said, travel outside of your drag paradise bubble and go race some other places and see of you don't end up trapping a 122-124 like some of the other people you claim cant drive. The point I made was that K24 cars are trapping 125 all over the place low elevation, high elevation, good conditions, bad ones. But there sure aren't many Z06's trapping 126 mph + and NONE trapping 128-130 outside of that area.

I don't think there is any person in here that argued that any Porsche short of a CGT or 997 GT2 is as fast in a straight line as a Z06. But what you cant seem to comprehend is that it isnt hard to make the 996 TT fast enough to do so. Go read back through your posts so you can refresh your memory. YOU are the one saying that the GT700 packages etc arent fast enough. My only points are that K16 car with lots of other crap done to it can beat a Z06 on rare occasions and that a K24/exhaust car will beat a Stock Z on average.
Heavy I give up! you just don't get it! I do have one last question for you though, did you ever think of changing your signature to something more appropriate like CHEVY HATER or PORSCHE WORSHIP? Just a thought!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
sideview has a spectacular aura aboutsideview has a spectacular aura aboutsideview has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I just don't believe they have the durability of a Porsche or else I would have one, and still may get one but too worried about it breaking to mod it. I've had a corvette that breaks all the time once already. Not even getting close to that again.
Tell that to the Cayman owners who had defective pistons. New motor in 20,000 miles? The Corvette isn't a Corolla but neither is a Porsche.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:43 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sideview
Tell that to the Cayman owners who had defective pistons. New motor in 20,000 miles? The Corvette isn't a Corolla but neither is a Porsche.
Ok let me rephrase. It doesn't have the durability of a GT1 based porsche engine. And from what I've seen Porsche is much better about replacing things under warranty. How about the Z06 guys that have had stock motors go at the track and been denied warranty??? Not a chance I'm willing to take after rebuilding a C5R motor 3 times.

But then there are the roofs, drivetrains, rear end shafts, brakes and tires too.

But whose counting?

Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yea, And I know of atleast ONE brand new 2008 ZO6 who'se motor took a crap at 1100 miles... #7 cylinder liner let loose and made a nice milkshake in the crankcase, at the track.

For the record, this particular owner also owns a GT3 and said flat out that the build quality is not on par with the Porsche. But hey, everyone will believe what they want...

I know my own vette was constantly broke and requiring repairs, and left me stranded at VIR on two weekends back to back! First time, Rod #3 window'ed the block. Second time? The torque tube rubber coupler tore and let go.

For me, there's been no comparison!

Mike

Old 02-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sideview
You have an engine hanging out past the rear axle and strut suspension in front like a Corolla and you knock the Corvette for engineering?

Anyway, really the leaf spring isn't what you are envisioning. You are thinking of a Hotchkiss leaf spring setup. The idea of suspending a rigid axle on two longitudinal leaf springs has been used since the stage coach days. But, the Corvette doesn't use that setup. The last Corvette with the setup you are thinking of was the 1961 model. Since 1962 the rear suspension has been independent. Since 1984 the car has used a fiberglass spring which is more advanced than the coil springs used on most cars.

The problems with "leaf spring" suspension are related to friction between the leaves of the spring (the Corvette's mono-leaf doesn't have this issue) and asking something as inherently flexible as a spring to locate your axle (the Corvette doesn't do that either).

The Corvette uses A-arms. The leaf spring just applies a force to the arms. The leaf also happens to be lighter than coil springs. It also happens to act as an anti-roll bar.

Carroll Smith said it was a great design even before GM used it. Hard to argue with Smith.

Incidentally, everyone seems to complain about the "rear leaf spring". What about the "front leaf spring". Since 1984 both ends of the Corvette are supported by leaf springs.

PS: Don't take that first paragraph seriously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_leaf_spring
....Been around since Medievil times......the first paragraph says it all..jk Seriously, the vette has taken the leaf spring and done ok with it, but the only track the vette handles well on is perfectly smooth road. Get it on uneven surfaces, rough road etc, and it bounces all over the place and that is it's downfall. The vette doesn't seem to be able to beat the less powerful Porsche GT3 in the LeMans GT2/GT3 class, where stock chassis is required. GT/GT1 is the Vette dumping ground since there they can have a vette skin over a race chassis that has nothing to do with anything. Funny how it usually comes down to Porsche and Ferrari in the gt2 class. I am sure it isn't just suspension, but a combination of things.

as for times, so from 2000-2004 the vette posts almost the identical numbers as the 996TT in the quarter according to vrybads data. Far from the spanking that one would give the other. Seems to me like the difference between these two cars in the quarter is the driver in stock form.

vbmw, if you just get a tune and exhaust it appears you will have the advantage from the data on both cars in stock form. However, if you plan to go to K16/24's or higher, you will definitely beat a ZO6 on tune, no one will argue that. hybrid turbo 996's can put out tremendous power.

If it was just about going fast and not caring about anything else, I would not pick either. I'd buy an old supra or an Evo7 or above and mod them to the tune of about 50k total and you'd run 10's all day long.

But it's not. I think it comes down to what you like the most. you have really two great cars. Arguably the best corvette ever made, the ZO6(ok the ZR1 will take the title), or the porsche 996tt/997tt platform which is the most solid 911 platform ever made. Pick the brand you like.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Heavy,

Why is it so hard to think a stock Z at 3100lbs and 440 to the wheels wouldn't run high 120 trap speeds. Even at 1000 to 2000 DA and the numbers still say 126 to 128 all day every day.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
^^^^

That is not so tough to believe, but Jamie who obviously is an outstanding drag racer
(who has several unofficial records to his credit), uses his very hard to repeat for other peoples times to compare to others and it can be frustrating. In this part of the country we are not seeing any high 120's (128+) in Z06's. Jamie,
do you have a video of your 10 second GT2 run?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:47 AM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
^^^^

That is not so tough to believe, but Jamie who obviously is an outstanding drag racer
(who has several unofficial records to his credit), uses his very hard to repeat for other peoples times to compare to others and it can be frustrating. In this part of the country we are not seeing any high 120's (128+) in Z06's. Jamie,
do you have a video of your 10 second GT2 run?
I actually made several 10 sec runs in my GT2 that day, the 10.83 being the best. I actually think there was a .70 in it because my 60' was off about a .10 on the .83 run. There might be a video of it as it was a 6speed rental so maybe someone reading this thread can post if they have it. There have been some 128mph plus runs posted in Fla this past week in stock 09 Z06's.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 AM
FaFaSupra is a splendid one to beholdFaFaSupra is a splendid one to beholdFaFaSupra is a splendid one to beholdFaFaSupra is a splendid one to beholdFaFaSupra is a splendid one to beholdFaFaSupra is a splendid one to beholdFaFaSupra is a splendid one to behold
so you ran a 10.83 with a GT2 on just a tune? Dude, you are good. Not knocking the GT2, but that is impressive from a 6 speed car. you are definitely a great driver. You could probably set records for most cars. Forget the gt2 video, I'd like to see an inside video of you launching and shifting. props...

Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 AM
blackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of lightblackbenzz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by FaFaSupra
so you ran a 10.83 with a GT2 on just a tune? Dude, you are good. Not knocking the GT2, but that is impressive from a 6 speed car. you are definitely a great driver. You could probably set records for most cars. Forget the gt2 video, I'd like to see an inside video of you launching and shifting. props...
Yea he is a great driver!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Get the launch down and a person that can roll gears can do such.

I will also vouch for Jamie and if it helps I also own a few records amongst the 03/04 Cobra community.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Yeah, but have you ever heard of coil over leaf springs? I didnt think so :-)

My great great great granparents had a stage coach with leaf springs, of course there wasnt roads back then either but... :-)

Originally Posted by jamie furman
Whats getting old is your Porsche Worship! Why would I want to build up a Z06 if it wasn't true? And I believe any Z06 is just as capable as my car with the right driver, and never claimed different. The biggest difference is I am realist and even though my GT2 cost 200k new and my Z06 was only 68k I am not going to pretend it is something its not, the GT2 is a great car and I love it, it is better quality than the Z and it ought to be for 3 times the cost, I also like driving the GT2 better because it feels smaller and I like smaller, but its not better looking than the Z IMO and its not faster, not even close stock to stock accelleration wise. Thats all I have ever said about the Z, but it gets old listening to all these POSERS with Porsches running the Z down when in reality the Z would kick the sh*t out of them, and that includes 997 versions who ever posted a couple posts back about comparing 996 to the Z. I just feel a person should tell it like it is, not how you want it to be and if you call that Bravdo I guess I am guilty?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:27 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Almo
Heavy,

Why is it so hard to think a stock Z at 3100lbs and 440 to the wheels wouldn't run high 120 trap speeds. Even at 1000 to 2000 DA and the numbers still say 126 to 128 all day every day.

Simply because they arent and there are a lot of guys that can drag a corvette. And remember trap speed is not as driver dependent as ET.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
sideview has a spectacular aura aboutsideview has a spectacular aura aboutsideview has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
Yeah, but have you ever heard of coil over leaf springs? I didnt think so :-)

My great great great granparents had a stage coach with leaf springs, of course there wasnt roads back then either but... :-)
Those who bash the leaf spring as used in the Corvette say more about what they don't understand than anything else. Carroll Smith says it would be a great idea. Are you saying the man who wrote Engineer to Win is wrong?

Incidentally, F1 doesn't use coil overs either. Ferrari must be dumb because they use torsion bars... like an old Porsche

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C6Z06 Intake and Tune compared to 996tt