996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

C6Z06 Intake and Tune compared to 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Interesting read... eight pages comparing modified Porsches with substitute turbos and God knows what else, to a stock Z06.

Then Y'all are arguing about what a "modified" Porsche is !!! Is it a TT's tweeked K16's, or 18g's, maybe even K22's ? What additional mods are included?

The fairest comparision would be to look at the modified Porsches with an equally modified Z06... what would the expected performance increases be? You can make it fairly even, equal dollars to modify the Porsche vs. Vette.

Best example here is the Corvette Forum thead post #15 for an indication of the gains made on the Z06 with forced induction.

When you start trying to compare modified cars... all bets are off. Where do the modifications end, and how can you level the playing field?

This thread is Great for Bench Racing... for real results, take em to the track.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper
All good points. My intent when i started this thread was not to bash a C6 Z06. Its for my own knowledge ..just wanted to hear others view points and data to confirm. We all know Z06 is one of the best performance cars out there ...for the money and more. I have a lot of respect for this car, in fact I will be glad if I can match/exceed the 60-130 of a tuned C6Z06 for a few grand over a stock 996tt. That will make me faster than just about most cars around here..

Last edited by vbmw335; 12-24-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:04 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
" The fairest comparision would be to look at the modified Porsches with an equally modified Z06... what would the expected performance increases be? You can make it fairly even, equal dollars to modify the Porsche vs. Vette."

1st of all, as I understand it, the OP wanted to know if a "modified" Porsche can keep up with a z06 with mods. That to me, is a given, that a stock one can't.

"Fair" means the same power, right?

"We" have to extensively modify our cars to make them as fast as a stock z06. How do you modify 2 cars the exact same way when they aren't the same to start with?

Not to state the obvious, but do you think a 6 cylinder that makes 330 to the wheels is a formidable challenge for a V8 car that makes 450-460 to the wheels stock? OH and the AWD on these cars doesn't mean squat.

Oh and BTW, I'm very sure there are modified 911 turbos out there that will wipe the earth with a modified z06, unfortunately mine isn't one of them!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
" The fairest comparision would be to look at the modified Porsches with an equally modified Z06... what would the expected performance increases be? You can make it fairly even, equal dollars to modify the Porsche vs. Vette."

1st of all, as I understand it, the OP wanted to know if a "modified" Porsche can keep up with a z06 with mods. That to me, is a given, that a stock one can't.

"Fair" means the same power, right?

"We" have to extensively modify our cars to make them as fast as a stock z06. How do you modify 2 cars the exact same way when they aren't the same to start with?

Not to state the obvious, but do you think a 6 cylinder that makes 330 to the wheels is a formidable challenge for a V8 car that makes 450-460 to the wheels stock? OH and the AWD on these cars doesn't mean squat.

Oh and BTW, I'm very sure there are modified 911 turbos out there that will wipe the earth with a modified z06, unfortunately mine isn't one of them!!!

Merry Christmas!!!
Actually, you don't have to extensively mod a turbo to keep up with a ZO6. A tune will do it. Nothing else is needed. If you want to spank one then you need hybrids.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:54 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Actually, you don't have to extensively mod a turbo to keep up with a ZO6. A tune will do it. Nothing else is needed. If you want to spank one then you need hybrids.

I think a stock Z06 and a flashed TT would be a good race. Flashed TT has less HP, more TQ and Z06 has less TQ and more HP. TQ takes the lead, HP wins later, maybe making it even?
I'm gonna have to scour utube for this

Old 12-25-2008, 08:34 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
I think a stock Z06 and a flashed TT would be a good race. Flashed TT has less HP, more TQ and Z06 has less TQ and more HP. TQ takes the lead, HP wins later, maybe making it even?
Dont forget the Z06 weighs only ~3100 lbs. That would be a big factor along with the aerodynamics at the high end. If its just flashed K16 turbo then you are comparing a ~430 whp turbo vs a ~445 whp z06 which weighs almost 400 lbs lighter.

Off topic ....I did race a tune only 335i with my fully stock k16 turbo...i was dead even with him till 130mph. That makes me want to go and get a k24 kit sooner than i planned for. This race results makes sense because both the cars weigh pretty much within 40lbs..and put out about 360-380 whp and the results show.

I dont have the videos to prove , but have driven a GIAC flash only turbo and a stock Z06 back to back. I feel the Z06 is much faster and will pull on the p car by a couple or more car lengths.

I will have some videos made with my friends car soon as the weather gets better. But a hybrid turbo vs a tuned Z06 ...is a different story...i think a turbo has a good chance of pulling ahead. My friends car dynoed 500 whp with a tune and intake. So its possible for a 550-590 whp K24 hybrid turbo car to make up for the extra weight and pull on a Z06.

Last edited by vbmw335; 12-25-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:43 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
" OH and the AWD on these cars doesn't mean squat.

Well, I'd add AWD any day to my car if it were possible.
Yes, you do get some tire spin in the very cold weather with an 18g TT, but you can forget about ANY traction with even a stock Z06 in the same weather.

Front engine/RWD is super tough to hook, especially with a modded Z06, C5 or C6 model.
Ask me how I know!
That goes for warmer weather, too, especially on stock tires.
Can you say rolling burnouts at 60-70mph?
I use a Kumho V710 RR tire to get ANY traction.

Regarding modded TT vs modded C6 Z06, I am also sure there are modded C6 Z06's that could wreak the same havoc on even the quickest TT's on this forum.

Some of the most recent builds are capable of driving to the track, and trapping in the low to mid 150's, and there is still more in them.
One guy has run just under 160 trap!

It all comes down to level of mods, and desire by the builder.

I agree it takes some tweaking to put a stock TT in the same ballpark as a stock C6 Z06, let's say, 60-130(what a great test parameter, btw).
Big cubes and light weight will do that.

Considering Scott(divexxtreme) was able to put a stock Z06 into the 7.86sec 60-130 area, what kind of mods will it take for a 996TT to do the same, starting from stock?

I think that was the point being made by vbmw335.

I know a couple of guys here have reached that level by RWD mod, and flash, DV's, etc.

The C6 Z06 and 996TT are both great cars.
Just wish I could have both my current car and a 996TT in my garage together right now!!
Maybe next year!

Old 12-25-2008, 08:47 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vbmw335
Dont forget the Z06 weighs only ~3100 lbs. That would be a big factor along with the aerodynamics at the high end. If its just flashed K16 turbo then you are comparing a ~430 whp turbo vs a ~445 whp z06 which weighs almost 400 lbs lighter.

Off topic ....I did race a tune only 335i with my fully stock k16 turbo...i was dead even with him till 130mph. That makes me want to go and get a k24 kit sooner than i planned for. This race results makes sense because both the cars weigh pretty much within 40lbs..and put out about 360-380 whp and the results show.

I dont have the videos to prove , but have driven a GIAC flash only turbo and a stock Z06 back to back. I feel the Z06 is much faster and will pull on the p car by a couple or more car lengths.

I will have some videos made with my friends car soon as the weather gets better. But a hybrid turbo vs a tuned Z06 ...is a different story...i think a turbo has a good chance of pulling ahead. My friends car dynoed 500 whp with a tune and intake. So its possible for a 550-590 whp K24 hybrid turbo car to make up for the extra weight and pull on a Z06.

Yes, it would definitely need more whp to make up for the weight.
Just how much is the question!

I think the 996TT is also geared better for 60-130 pulls, or overall highway work.
Just a personal observation based on times run by moderately modded 996 and 997TT's.

Last edited by vrybad; 12-25-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Maybe I mis-spoke there, I was't really trying to insinuate that AWD is useless, after all I bought my car because it was AWD. I'm just not impressed with the Porsche AWD system as a whole. I've spent most of my life in front engined rwd cars and I understand the issues at hand. My single turbo C5 Vette was useless with anything other than drag radials and was my TT Camaro and Supra. My AWD 18G car spins 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in this colder weather (yeah I need tires too). I am very anxiuous to get some 60-130's soon, although I need some good drive time first to put some heat in the tires. I have mad respect for the Z06, modded or not. I love to race them and don't mind losing, cuz if I lose I can use the old "yeah, you beat my little 6 cylinder with your big V8.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

There are videos on youtube of 996tt versus ZO6 of the same year and the TT won. Really, the ZO6 of the last 4 years are the fastest.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:35 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Interesting read... eight pages comparing modified Porsches with substitute turbos and God knows what else, to a stock Z06.

Then Y'all are arguing about what a "modified" Porsche is !!! Is it a TT's tweeked K16's, or 18g's, maybe even K22's ? What additional mods are included?

The fairest comparision would be to look at the modified Porsches with an equally modified Z06... what would the expected performance increases be? You can make it fairly even, equal dollars to modify the Porsche vs. Vette.

Best example here is the Corvette Forum thead post #15 for an indication of the gains made on the Z06 with forced induction.

When you start trying to compare modified cars... all bets are off. Where do the modifications end, and how can you level the playing field?

This thread is Great for Bench Racing... for real results, take em to the track.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper
So we should compare a modified 996 TT (first year 2000) to an equally modded C6 Z06 (first year 2005)????

No, not really. Maybe C5 vs 996 TT is a better matchup, stock v stock and mod v mod. But when comparing an older generation of two different models, you'll hardly ever be able to compare them mod for mod. And being NA vs Turbo, the mods are completely different anyways.

Even more why compare a car that starts with 415 hp mod for mod with one that starts with 500 hp? Why compare a car that starts with 3500 lbs weight vs 31xx, especially when the prior also has less power? We compare them because the matchups happen on a regular basis and we are trying to draw a conclusion based on the criteria given what is the neccessary adjustment to the obviously slower car to make the battle more even. Just so happens it doesnt take all that much on the 996 TT to make that happen.

Chevy made much bigger strides with the C6Z in performance than did Porsche with the 997 TT. Two completely different objectives. But if you're going to compare mod for mod, do that, but not with a 996 TT.

But this is simply trying to see what a very potent mod happy car like the 996 TT could do to keep up with a stock C6Z. The same threads have popped up for the 996 TT vs the 997 Turbo, and various other new generations of fast cars. Same as goes on everywhere else. And the comparison is perfectly legit.

Last edited by heavychevy; 12-25-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:50 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Maybe I mis-spoke there, I was't really trying to insinuate that AWD is useless, after all I bought my car because it was AWD. I'm just not impressed with the Porsche AWD system as a whole. I've spent most of my life in front engined rwd cars and I understand the issues at hand. My single turbo C5 Vette was useless with anything other than drag radials and was my TT Camaro and Supra. My AWD 18G car spins 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in this colder weather (yeah I need tires too). I am very anxiuous to get some 60-130's soon, although I need some good drive time first to put some heat in the tires. I have mad respect for the Z06, modded or not. I love to race them and don't mind losing, cuz if I lose I can use the old "yeah, you beat my little 6 cylinder with your big V8.
A little six with twin turbos running over 1 bar of boost.

It is amazing how many of these threads pop up on different forums trying to compare stock vs modded or stock vs stock of different cars. A modded TT is a very formidable opponent for any car.

Trying to compare modded cars is almost impossible. Too many variables involved for people to agree to a level playing field.

As a Z06 owner I am glad to see that a stock Z06 is used as the measuring stick by so many to gauge if their car is fast or not.

There is always a car out there that is faster.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
A little six with twin turbos running over 1 bar of boost.

It is amazing how many of these threads pop up on different forums trying to compare stock vs modded or stock vs stock of different cars. A modded TT is a very formidable opponent for any car.

Trying to compare modded cars is almost impossible. Too many variables involved for people to agree to a level playing field.

As a Z06 owner I am glad to see that a stock Z06 is used as the measuring stick by so many to gauge if their car is fast or not.

There is always a car out there that is faster.

I agree that the 996tt should not be underestimated in anything other than stock condition (as I leave NOTHING stock). Like the Z06, it ALSO is used as a benchmark for many comparos.
As a matter of fact, when I am ready to add another car to the stable, it likely WILL be a C6 Z06 as I am now seeing a trend that (like TT's) these cars are monsters will minimal modding.
I agree that all of these comparisons are silly, albeit fun. Anything can be faster than anyhting else if you just spend enough money!!!

Old 12-25-2008, 02:19 PM
.....oh and that little excuse about a little 6 getting beat by a V8, was geared towards "vrybad" and that TT Vette of his!!!

Old 12-25-2008, 03:02 PM
trumperZ06 is infamous around these partstrumperZ06 is infamous around these parts
Don't get me wrong... I luv bench racing !!! Great that this discussion's back on track.

When you start talking Mods... all bets are off...

IMO... Dyno numbers are a good way to measure the improvements as you mod a car, not necessarily good for comparing one car vs. another. Too many differences in Dyno's & tuners.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper

Old 12-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Don't get me wrong... I luv bench racing !!! Great that this discussion's back on track.

When you start talking Mods... all bets are off...

IMO... Dyno numbers are a good way to measure the improvements as you mod a car, not necessarily good for comparing one car vs. another. Too many differences in Dyno's & tuners.

Cya @ the track,

Trumper

Exactly right. the best and only comparison is on the blacktop, and a higher HP car is not necessarily the fastest car all the time!!!

While I am a dragracer and can appreciate an impressive ET, there are too many variables. It seems the 60 to 130 is the true test and the best measuring stick for all high HP cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C6Z06 Intake and Tune compared to 996tt