996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evolution of my 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:35 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Hey Joe, who the port/polish work on those heads?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
It probably wouldn't be appropriate for me to mention who Evoms uses for their work.If they want I am sure they will chime in.I hope you understand.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:59 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
No,you guys ain't getting rid of me that easy..I am already looking for a 997 tt and Evoms is researching 9000rpms :8000 rpms is so 5 minutes ago....
Joe,

You guys successfully get above 9100 rpm's with the dynamics of the boxer motor for any period of time ......... then you will make history.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Joe,

I'm a little late coming to this thread. It looks like your intake plenum is a modified World Cup plenum. Is it? EVO did one for me and that is why I asked. I thought they gave up on it ........ I liked it.

Last edited by cjv; 07-12-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:12 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Joe,

You guys successfully get above 9100 rpm's with the dynamics of the boxer motor for any period of time ......... then you will make history.
I will take that as a bit of advice from someone who I know has been down that road

Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 AM
cjv
I will take that as a bit of advice from someone who I know has been down that road

Not to say it can't be done. I tried and gave up. The boxer motor is extremely smooth to 7000 rpm's. Above that and the design slowly becomes less smooth to about 9100 rpm's. Above that and the opposing forces start becoming exponential and the motor literally starts to tear itself apart.

Last edited by cjv; 07-12-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by cjv
Joe,

I'm a little late coming to this thread. It looks like your intake plenum is a modified World Cup plenum. Is it? EVO did one for me and that is why I asked. I thought they gave up on it ........ I liked it.
I was waiting for you to pick that out,because I know you have one.It is highly modded on the inside......I am not using nitrous like you so i can not reap the benefits of that "giant mixing chamber" ......so Evoms changed it to their specs which they felt were better suited to my motor and required some tedious fab work.John told me the reason for the change was after his calculations with the new heads and other bits we still needed to flow about 250cfm more are through the intake.Here's a question for ya Chad....Do you have any idea as to what mph a stock bodied 996 will take flight?I think we are geting closeand I know you are definetly gonna be there when your done....stock bodied or not.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:57 AM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Joe,
It will be great if EVOMS can come in and chime in to tell us something regarding the specs of the head work. It is a small community here and we all learn new things every day. Todd Z is a very knowledgable guy and respected among his peers. I always appreciate his wisdom when I've talked to him and he makes himself available at all times unlike other vendors I know. Thanks for posting the pics of the heads and new Y-pipe design. Hope you guys break through more innovations and research. Cheers, Art.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by art4iza
Joe,
It will be great if EVOMS can come in and chime in to tell us something regarding the specs of the head work.
what specs are you looking for ?They are a cnc'd turbo casting.The valve sizing is the same as the GT3 heads i had previously on the car.You can compare the difference in size to the stock valves compared to the new valves in the pic below.They outflow the GT3 heads i had previously on the car by about 15%.Do you want specific flow numbers?I hadn't seen yours posted so I would need to know at what spec they were flowed at in order to compare.Without that it would be like comparing two cars on different dynos on different days and you know how that goes.

Attached Images  

Last edited by joetwint; 07-12-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:40 PM
The work looks great and thanks for all the answers. You have PM.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Joe, this is such an amazing car and I love how it's constantly evolving, pushing the envelope of what can be done with these cars as well as keeping you from getting bored lol Not to mention, I'm sure the diet your wallet has been put on, ensures that it'll fit into the pockets of even your tightest fitting jeans. Quick question, where is the Air Filter(s) being relocated to? Are they fabricating a new custom air-box or are they doing something similar to the Proto filters?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
. Quick question, where is the Air Filter(s) being relocated to? Are they fabricating a new custom air-box or are they doing something similar to the Proto filters?
Thanks for the kind words,ScottThe filters are right on the turbos as of right now.Evoms has not decided on a final location but are experimenting with a few scenarios

Old 07-12-2009, 03:27 PM
cjv
what specs are you looking for ?They are a cnc'd turbo casting.The valve sizing is the same as the GT3 heads i had previously on the car.You can compare the difference in size to the stock valves compared to the new valves in the pic below.They outflow the GT3 heads i had previously on the car by about 15%.Do you want specific flow numbers?I hadn't seen yours posted so I would need to know at what spec they were flowed at in order to compare.Without that it would be like comparing two cars on different dynos on different days and you know how that goes.
Joe,

I would be interested in knowing how your flows compare to mine. I have had mine posted for some time in my thread, but here they are for those who have any interest.

You say GT3 valve ...... Street, Cup or RSR. Taking a gander from the pics they look to be Cup size.

Flowed at 25” water. Inlet bell and Exhaust outlet used. I'm showing the flow for intake and exhaust at the corresponding valve lift.

lift 0.050”, intake 52.3 cfm, exhaust 40.9 cfm
lift 0.100", intake 97.5 cfm, exhaust 92.2 cfm
lift 0.150", intake 144.0 cfm, exhaust 144.7 cfm
lift 0.200", intake 194.0 cfm, exhaust 179.2 cfm
lift 0.250", intake 237.6 cfm, exhaust 204.8 cfm
lift 0.300", intake 272.8 cfm, exhaust 225.3 cfm
lift 0.350", intake 297.3 cfm, exhaust 238.7 cfm
lift 0.400", intake 310.7 cfm, exhaust 250.9 cfm
lift 0.450", intake 320.9 cfm, exhaust 259.2 cfm
lift 0.500", intake 324.5 cfm, exhaust 266.2 cfm
lift 0.550", intake 327.2 cfm, exhaust 272.0 cfm

Last edited by cjv; 07-12-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:10 PM
cjv
I was waiting for you to pick that out,because I know you have one.It is highly modded on the inside......I am not using nitrous like you so i can not reap the benefits of that "giant mixing chamber" ......so Evoms changed it to their specs which they felt were better suited to my motor and required some tedious fab work.John told me the reason for the change was after his calculations with the new heads and other bits we still needed to flow about 250cfm more are through the intake.Here's a question for ya Chad....Do you have any idea as to what mph a stock bodied 996 will take flight?I think we are geting closeand I know you are definetly gonna be there when your done....stock bodied or not.
I guessed something was done on the inside judging from the welded up "window" that I observed.

I have been in a 996tt in Germany at 236 mph. I have been told these cars can develop lift issues anywhere above 225 depending on the road and wind conditions. I was also told 242 is really looking for trouble in good conditions.

Last edited by cjv; 07-12-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:36 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Hey Joe i was looking at this picture but i could sware that Todd from Protomotive came out with this set up years back, i actually have it installed on my car and i am sure there are many others out there that have it as well, minus the fancy name plate, and i have not intalled the BOV on the tubes but its generally the same set up unless you say diffrent.. Correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evolution of my 996 Turbo