996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evolution of my 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
it only happens when I cross 220mph....
I guess we know what happened in your car last spring!!

I would be incontinent way before 220mph...

Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
While you are there get me a pack. Just thinking about it causes wetness

Same here,we still have some work to do,and some things to test out.I am with you though about working up to speed because i will be doing the same thing.I haven't run a car with a chute and will need to check its operation and make sure it tracks straight and everything is cool before going all out.Will probably spend the first day working up to speed and getting used to the chute and the car again.It is making some 200 whp more above 7200 rpm than it was in March so it will be like driving a totally different car.I think I am going to go to the store and get an extra pair of diapers.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:48 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Art trying them on we see..

Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
ROLMFAO.I have to say I am embarrassed for whoever it really is in that pic.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:01 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Baby Huey! Nice.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Joe if you break into 240 I'll take an a-shower....

Old 08-29-2009, 03:57 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Joey G better come with something more than a parachute, I here some of the boy's put a bulls-eye on your back ...It's OK bro, you know & I know It ain't that easy . Bye the way, Great job Evoms!!! looks really clean...

Tom

Old 08-29-2009, 04:06 PM
besiktas is infamous around these partsbesiktas is infamous around these parts
is this car still an AWD? If so, how the front diff holding up

Old 08-29-2009, 04:52 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by besiktas
is this car still an AWD? If so, how the front diff holding up
it is RWD

Old 08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Its on like Donkey Kong! Pilot's license next
Congrats on the monster car. I was showing my brother Tym this post today and he was very impressed. He did want to make a comment about making sure that the C/G points had been calculated correctly on the chute… he feels that it would be very easy with the Porsche’s design architecture to make the chute pull the front wheels off the ground and allow air to get underneath the car causing the car to be unmanageable at 200 plus. If that’s all been done properly then you’re looking good for some awesome runs. Congrats to everyone involved on that car! No one knows how much work these sort of projects take until you’ve done them.

Tym would have posted more discussion info about the chute and such… but he was banned once we stopped being a sponsor unfortunately… but I thought I would throw in his 2 cents.

Keep up the great work Joe!

Neil

Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Congrats on the monster car. I was showing my brother Tym this post today and he was very impressed. He did want to make a comment about making sure that the C/G points had been calculated correctly on the chute… he feels that it would be very easy with the Porsche’s design architecture to make the chute pull the front wheels off the ground and allow air to get underneath the car causing the car to be unmanageable at 200 plus. If that’s all been done properly then you’re looking good for some awesome runs. Congrats to everyone involved on that car! No one knows how much work these sort of projects take until you’ve done them.

Tym would have posted more discussion info about the chute and such… but he was banned once we stopped being a sponsor unfortunately… but I thought I would throw in his 2 cents.

Keep up the great work Joe!

Neil
Hey Neil,
Thanks to you and Tim for the kind words and appreciate Tim's consern and insight.Evoms did calculate the center of gravity.For Everyone else Tims concern is if that the chute mount is not at the "cg" and the chute hits hard or has too short a tether it could lift the rear wheels unsettling the suspension or pull the rear of the car down causing the front end to be light.Ithink Evoms has this part under control but we are still working on finding the right chute to use.Everyone seems to want to sell me a two chute setup.A chute only understands weight and mph and going by the chute calculation formula shows my car needs 2 chutes.Only problem is that this is in a drag strip setting where shutdown is about a 1/4 mile.I don't want or need the chute to hit that hard (1.5 g or better)and would probably be OK with the brakes alone rather I want it as just a help to scrub off some speed early in the shutdown phase.Everyone seems to want to put me through the windshield or just don't know.So I figured call the supposed best chute maker and speak to the owner.So i called Stroud Safety and spoke to Bob Stroud today and after eplaining whatI was looking for and asked what he would recommend basically all he could tell me was that he didn't like the Texas Mile or the Maxton mile and referred me to some chassis shop in Delaware.Huh?This is supposed to be the countries foremost authority on chutes and that's all he could tell me?I guess he didn't like the whole Porsche thing?Funny thing is I was ready to buy two chutes right then and there but he lost me as a customer.I don't get some people.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
what? did he explain why he dislikes the Mile events in general?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
what? did he explain why he dislikes the Mile events in general?
Nope....he sounded a little grouchy....Maybe he has a ZO6 or a GTR? I dunno

Old 08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
frog1 is infamous around these parts
serious stuff...impressive.
one question: would it be possible to adapt VTG turbos to a 996 ?... if yes, I guess it would mean a change in ECU as well...

Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
he probably thought you were driving a beetle You know what's funny dude? Most of the drag cars that trap these sorts of speeds have the world's ****tiest non-existent brakes etc... You actually have world-class 996TT brakes:P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evolution of my 996 Turbo