996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evolution of my 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
Jumping in late, wanted to say awesome project and thanks for all the attached pics!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Update, the car is at our body shop getting the fenders rolled. We installed our new suspension system on the car and want to get the most out of the ride height. We are planning on getting the car back tomorrow so we can get the corner balance and suspension set up for the mile. More to come.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Evolution MotorSports
Update, the car is at our body shop getting the fenders rolled. We installed our new suspension system on the car and want to get the most out of the ride height. We are planning on getting the car back tomorrow so we can get the corner balance and suspension set up for the mile. More to come.
Todd, how come you guys are rolling the fenders? Are you going to put wider rubber on it? If so, wouldn't that cause more drag making it counter productive at those speeds? Kinda like the Bonnieville cars that use skinny tires to attain maximum velocity? Or are you keeping the same widths, but putting the rubber pushed out to the corners as far as possible for extra stability?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:11 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Thanks for sharing your great project!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Todd, how come you guys are rolling the fenders? Are you going to put wider rubber on it? If so, wouldn't that cause more drag making it counter productive at those speeds? Kinda like the Bonnieville cars that use skinny tires to attain maximum velocity? Or are you keeping the same widths, but putting the rubber pushed out to the corners as far as possible for extra stability?
For the standing mile you need traction, and even the rear engine layout
will be fighting the runway for traction.
The Supra's spin beyond 160 mph when pushed to the boost limits and therfore limit thier boost until top 1 (or maybe 2 gears), I am sure
Joe, and the TT Vipes do the same.

Going to be great to watch !!!

MK

Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
For the standing mile you need traction, and even the rear engine layout
will be fighting the runway for traction.
The Supra's spin beyond 160 mph when pushed to the boost limits and therfore limit thier boost until top 1 (or maybe 2 gears), I am sure
Joe, and the TT Vipes do the same.

Going to be great to watch !!!

MK
Wow Joe must be putting down quite a bit more power than he was previously! I read, I think in Popular Mechanics, (I don't remember the exact figures so I'm not even going to try to repeat them) years ago that for every square inch extra of additional surface, the additional power needed to achieve the same velocity at speeds above 200mph are extraordinary and it is exponential as the speeds get higher. Considering that Joe hit 230+ last time, if he adds an inch on each tire, that equates to quite a bit of extra power to achieve the same 230+, now I'm assuming that he's planning on breaking his own record, the additional power to do so must be awesome! I can't wait to see the Dyno numbers!!!

Edit: I forgot to preface that obviously, aerodynamics can lessen the additional power needed to propel the vehicle, but what I was posted was assuming that all aerodynamics stay the same with the addition of added surface and not bettering the aero in any way.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Wow Joe must be putting down quite a bit more power than he was previously! I read, I think in Popular Mechanics, (I don't remember the exact figures so I'm not even going to try to repeat them) years ago that for every square inch extra of additional surface, the additional power needed to achieve the same velocity at speeds above 200mph are extraordinary and it is exponential as the speeds get higher. Considering that Joe hit 230+ last time, if he adds an inch on each tire, that equates to quite a bit of extra power to achieve the same 230+, now I'm assuming that he's planning on breaking his own record, the additional power to do so must be awesome! I can't wait to see the Dyno numbers!!!

Edit: I forgot to preface that obviously, aerodynamics can lessen the additional power needed to propel the vehicle, but what I was posted was assuming that all aerodynamics stay the same with the addition of added surface and not bettering the aero in any way.
Part of the fender rolling process is due to the ride height of the car. Last event, the car was only 25mm lower than stock. This event, we are trying to get the car as low as possible and though there is no clearance issue with the tires / fenders now, we are rolling the fenders as a precaution. When the tire expands at these very high speeds, we want to allow enough clearance for this expansion to prevent the any contact with the body.

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds
Old 10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
EChris is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Any heros out there? Come and drive my car on DRs at 16 psi and you will change 3 lanes on the highway.... heck, Todd almost wrecked my car when he was doing 60 to 130s a few years ago( evident by the flat front tire.).... that is when he said enough is enough...
This is not a joke.. I am first to admit that running my car on DRs at high boost is very scary... it takes someone very experienced to feel comfortable enough to drive a RWD P car with 1000+ hp on DRs...
Be safe guys,
mark
Having the backend of your car come out from behind you at 70 is enough to make your ***** shrink... I can't imagine at 130 or higher.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Yo Joe, I heard something...Call me

Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Project911 is infamous around these parts
Freakin insane!! You just made our 996tt look like crap, at least mine. i can't wait to see the actual numbers.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Joe, the car was on a ramp truck... is everything OK?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:46 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Can anybody confirm or deny the rumor that there is a family of squirrels living inside Joe's car?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:49 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG

Did you check if the engine was in it? those squirrels can do some damage

Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
KPG My official response regarding this matter is ................No comment!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
Can anybody confirm or deny the rumor that there is a family of squirrels living inside Joe's car?
Luis , I know you think you are a funny guy but just back off a bit please. Whether Joe has gerbils or squirrels in nobodys business but his own. I think you need a time out....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evolution of my 996 Turbo