996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evolution of my 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:38 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
I believe that is what Protomotive did with Scott's car. Not sure if t as a GT3 exhaust and modified turbo intake. Two modified turbo cams may have been used. Not sure if Scott knows or not. I believe Web Cam did the vario cam weld and regrind.

This is really a tricky area because the type metal must be a match with the Porsche tappets metal otherwise premature wear is a big risk. Either that or you have to build both the tappets and cams from billet. Our cams utilitized billet cams and tappets.
Correct,i know i don't need to tell you how tricky this area is on the 996 turbo motor.I believe Proto is using GT3 code though to get around the variocam.I am not sure (maybe Scott will correct me)but i don't believe he was using variocam.It will definately work that way but we were trying to keep Variocam.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:44 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Correct,i know i don't need to tell you how tricky this area is on the 996 turbo motor.I believe Proto is using GT3 code though to get around the variocam.I am not sure (maybe Scott will correct me)but i don't believe he was using variocam.It will definately work that way but we were trying to keep Variocam.
Maybe scott will chime in. You might be right. I vaguely remember something about the vario cam being used without using the lower lobes on the cam and the upper lobes being re profiled. The lower lobes may have been ground off ....... not sure. I know my setup uses a 996tt ecu with the 996tt software being removed and replaced with the GT3 software. I wasn't concerned about the lower end loss because of the stroker crank's torque makes up for any loss in the low end.

Sounds like you are using a new approach.

Last edited by cjv; 12-27-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Great to hear she's near completion Joe. Good to see what is possible at EVO now that they are doing their own programming. Thanks for trail blazing for the rest of us. Your car is going to be a beast.

Mike

Old 12-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
I believe that is what Protomotive did with Scott's car. Not sure if it was a GT3 exhaust and modified turbo intake. Two modified turbo cams may have been used. Not sure if Scott knows or not. I believe Web Cam did the vario cam weld and regrind.
Chad,

My car used modified turbo cams for both the intake and exhaust.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
Good to see what is possible at EVO now that they are doing their own programming.

Mike
Yeah,they are more in control now which is a good thing for their customers.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Just wanted to give everyone an update on what is going on with this project.As some of you know already if you have read this thread we made 820 AWHP with the previous setup and we were tearing it down to install a custom grind set of intake and exhaust cams in an effort to make a little more power.As some of you guys already know modding is contagious,so while Evoms was developing the camshafts,Todd Zuccone and John Brey of Evoms went to work on develop a larger head stud to enable us to run more boost reliably.Now we were in for a lot more powerThese studs are the Holy Grail.After thorough testing (these studs were tested in just about every configuration and thread contour until the best combo was achieved)these studs have nearly double the clamping force of the stock studs.Just to give you guys an idea of the difference these studs have made, Evoms is able to now torque the heads to 80 lb ft as compared to 42-45 lb ft with the stock or A.R.P. studs with out any crankase distortion.This is serious.Anyone thinking of doing a motor build needs these.Evoms feels there will be no problem running 30lbs of boost or more reliably!It will probably see more in testing.Gone are the days of running 1.5 bar.

Some other additions below are the GT3RS crank and intermediate shaft along with the bigger rods.We did this because of where this car is headed power wise and rpm wise.In order to compliment the addition of the new camshafts operating range we felt that this was a must in order to sleep at night.8000+rpm here we come!Everything has been balanced, machined,and prepped.It is in the assembly phase and we should have some good dyno numbers for you guys next week at this time.

I would just like to publically thank Todd Z ,John Brey and all the Evoms guys for all the effort they have put into my car trying to make it the baddest 996 turbo on the planet.

Attached Images      
Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Looking good Joe. Some interesting developments and ideas coming into the reality now. Quite a few solutions on offer as well.Keep us posted on progress.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
Joe, you are setting the new standard! This will be a beast! The studs should be a must on an engine build....very nice! Good for Evoms!

Tom

Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
wowzers!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
My man Joe - congrats and lets see some numbers

Jag

Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Torquing the heads up to 80lbs is a huge improvement. What have you done as far as drive shafts and axle upgrades? What are you planning to use for your clutch? Congrats on the monster Joe.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by art4iza
Torquing the heads up to 80lbs is a huge improvement. What have you done as far as drive shafts and axle upgrades? What are you planning to use for your clutch? Congrats on the monster Joe.
Thanks Art,
The driveshaft is not a problem because the car will be tested in the real world in RWD.Evoms will be dynoing in AWD and RWD.The axles have already been upgraded and track tested with their own 300M axles.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Good to hear Joe. Looks like she is coming along fine in good hands. So you did go with GT3 cams?

Originally Posted by joetwint
Thanks Art,
The driveshaft is not a problem because the car will be tested in the real world in RWD.Evoms will be dynoing in AWD and RWD.The axles have already been upgraded and track tested with their own 300M axles.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by art4iza
Good to hear Joe. Looks like she is coming along fine in good hands. So you did go with GT3 cams?
No custom grind ......more duration than a GT3 cam....and still using variocam.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by jags911tt
My man Joe - congrats and lets see some numbers

Jag
Thanks bro.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evolution of my 996 Turbo