996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evolution of my 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I am assuming rev limiter gets raised to 8500rpm just like a GT3 cam?

Originally Posted by joetwint
No custom grind ......more duration than a GT3 cam....and still using variocam.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
Congrats Joe! Wow look at those head studs compared to arp/stock... No wonder John has been so busy lately!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Way to go Joe... I get filled in once in a while on the latest and crazy developments on your car and just shake my head

Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Congrats Joe,

Now wonder my car has taken so long to do, yours has taken priority...naah J/K

My car is coming along just fine, Talked to Todd today and the numbers are looking really good, better than I had thought on pump gas, with a nice flat TQ curve.

EVOMS is doing some really fantastic work these days.

Can't wait to show folks my paultry numbers with my brand new set-up, in comparison to your beast. Good stuff,

Cheers,

Ben

Old 03-03-2009, 11:19 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sharkster
Way to go Joe... I get filled in once in a while on the latest and crazy developments on your car and just shake my head
Thanks Alex

Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
My car is coming along just fine, Talked to Todd today and the numbers are looking really good, better than I had thought on pump gas, with a nice flat TQ curve.
So i have heard.I have a friend getting a similar setup to yours who is really interested in what your car makes.

EVOMS is doing some really fantastic work these days.
They sure are,some really cool stuff coming out these days.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
I can't wait to see wait Joe's and Ben's cars put out....

Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to heare she's coming along fine Joe. Can't wait to see what you can do in her. Congrats!

Mike

Old 03-04-2009, 04:47 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Just wanted to give everyone an update on what is going on with this project.As some of you know already if you have read this thread we made 820 AWHP with the previous setup and we were tearing it down to install a custom grind set of intake and exhaust cams in an effort to make a little more power.As some of you guys already know modding is contagious,so while Evoms was developing the camshafts,Todd Zuccone and John Brey of Evoms went to work on develop a larger head stud to enable us to run more boost reliably.Now we were in for a lot more powerThese studs are the Holy Grail.After thorough testing (these studs were tested in just about every configuration and thread contour until the best combo was achieved)these studs have nearly double the clamping force of the stock studs.Just to give you guys an idea of the difference these studs have made, Evoms is able to now torque the heads to 80 lb ft as compared to 42-45 lb ft with the stock or A.R.P. studs with out any crankase distortion.This is serious.Anyone thinking of doing a motor build needs these.Evoms feels there will be no problem running 30lbs of boost or more reliably!It will probably see more in testing.Gone are the days of running 1.5 bar.

Some other additions below are the GT3RS crank and intermediate shaft along with the bigger rods.We did this because of where this car is headed power wise and rpm wise.In order to compliment the addition of the new camshafts operating range we felt that this was a must in order to sleep at night.8000+rpm here we come!Everything has been balanced, machined,and prepped.It is in the assembly phase and we should have some good dyno numbers for you guys next week at this time.

I would just like to publically thank Todd Z ,John Brey and all the Evoms guys for all the effort they have put into my car trying to make it the baddest 996 turbo on the planet.
WOW!! Now that is very impressive! Akram did something very similar to my car last year but I think he can only clap 50 pounds? Now I am very jeolous but truly Joe you deserve it! Once again, congrats on the newest and baddest turbo to run the streets.
Robert

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Joe,

Supercool stuff !!
What a monster and I am sure you will use the heck out of it.
Would love to see it at TX2K10 and Texas Mile in October perhaps.

Cheers!

MK

Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
SCHWEEETTT! Congrats Joe!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
WilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud ofWilliamP997 has much to be proud of
very nice component and great project. It makes me wish I still had my 996 turbo. Maybe I should take joetwint's lead and see if evo wants to take on a 997 turbo project like this :-) Anyone know if this will work on the 997 and if evo has done this? Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Thanks Alex
I'll be rooting for you!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Man Joe those new head studs are beefy! I want a set ASAP when I build my motor!!!

Can't wait to see what she makes! Hopefully you can make it to the mile in October because I want a ride in that beast!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by WilliamP997
very nice component and great project. It makes me wish I still had my 996 turbo. Maybe I should take joetwint's lead and see if evo wants to take on a 997 turbo project like this :-) Anyone know if this will work on the 997 and if evo has done this? Thanks for sharing.
This will definetely work on a 997tt and would probably be even better the second time around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evolution of my 996 Turbo