996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Love my Speedtech 60mm exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 AM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Love my Speedtech 60mm exhaust

Just installed a 60mm Speedtech a few days ago. I couldn't more happy with it. It's relatively quiet when cruising no dronning at all. It has a great sound when you roll on the power. It's about halfway between stock sound and lets say a Fabspeed type 3. Install was somewhat easy depending on your skills. Fit is pretty good. Quality seems very good. John and his son at Speedtech were super nice. And a great deal to boot, win win for me. If your are looking for an exhaust that still retains that Porsche sound with a little more intensity, this one is for you.

Thanks

Last edited by magoochi; 12-20-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Cossey is a jewel in the roughCossey is a jewel in the roughCossey is a jewel in the roughCossey is a jewel in the rough
Any sound clips? What other mods for the car?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Karl,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad to hear you are so pleased. When you descibed your objectives in terms of sound, I thought this would be right for you. And it was great to speak with you after a day of use, too - I appreciate the positive feeedback and can use it to help others...

Best Regards,

John

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-21-2008, 12:45 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
here is a clip of my turbo s cab with the top down accelerating from 30 - 136 mph with my speedtech exhaust.
/videos.streetfire.net/video/speed-tech-exhaust_194481.htm

Old 12-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FASTLANE
here is a clip of my turbo s cab with the top down accelerating from 30 - 136 mph with my speedtech exhaust.
/videos.streetfire.net/video/speed-tech-exhaust_194481.htm
Sounds very good. Which is the hp gain?

Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 PM
OTSS is infamous around these parts
Do you have any pics?

Old 12-21-2008, 01:26 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
I never got exact gains since I didn't do a before dyno. I did gain significant power though with my chip exhaust combo.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
That's a great clip, I enjoyed watching it!

I miss driving my car...another 12-18" of snow falling right now.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:33 PM
thanks John! Actually I should be thanking you I love my Speedtech!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 PM
drlaw99 is just really nicedrlaw99 is just really nicedrlaw99 is just really nicedrlaw99 is just really nice
Love reading this. Had the pleasure of talking to John last night. Did not order a 60mm today, but am buying one tomorrow as a Christmas gift from the wife and kids. Sounds like the best bang for the buck out there. And yes, John is very nice and spent way more time than he should have answering my newbe questions. Thanks John! Looking forward to your product!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't buy the SpeedTech...but did buy the Europipe Stage 1 in the 60mm piping (also has the 100 cell cats)...and was told by a number of tuners that I should have bought the Stage 2 with the 70mm piping to allow for better performance enhancements down the line. I've been fairly happy with the EP Stage 1 but in retrospect, probably should have gone for the Stage 2. You might want to check into the difference in technical specs and performance between the two sizes. I'm not saying that the 60mm isn't a good buy, so dont' misconstrue my comments as a slam against what you've got because that's what I'm running too....I routinely hit and hold 1.2 bar and tonite in the cold weather was hitting 1.3....it's just that I don't know what the power thresholds are ....I.E. how much horsepower can the 60mm support before you need to go to bigger pipes? What's the difference in flow restrictions because of smaller diameters? Pipes aren't the only consideration...there's the turbo sizes, cats, wastegates and a few other issues. Dunno....that's a question for the experts. Just food for thought and consideration.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Randy, it was nice to speak with you as well. Thanks for the positive words.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Chuck,

Tuners like the 70mm systems and they do dyno slightly higher, but I have a different view of things having extensively driven, tested and tracked both systems. For instance, my best 1/4 mile time was achieved with our 60mm exhaust. I ran 11.01 with our 60mm system, before developing the 70mm. Once I put the 70mm on, I felt I would be able to go and shave at least 2/100 of a second and land in the 10's with the help of the higher flowing 70mm exhaust - in fact, I was convinced of it. It didn't happen and I tried a number of times...probably 20+ passes on 4 or 5 different occasions and I picked the right type of days in terms of temp, humidity, etc. in order to make it happen. The 60mm time still stands. Also, "seat of the pants", the exhausts feel the same - the only difference is sound level. drlaw99 has a "tip" and due to the nature of the tiptronic, a 60mm is his best choice. It's quieter, yet sounds very sporty and offers great performance, lighter weight, etc. As for performance, I feel comfortable stating you would be hard pressed to feel or even realize a difference between the two SpeedTech 996TT exhausts - even at the 700 HP level based on my seat time and testing of the two systems with my K24/18G car with full fuel system, injectors, large throttle body/plenum, IC's, enlarged piping throughout, Y-Pipe, etc.

I'm not sure about europipe, but I doubt you have left much on the table with the 60mm EP, except louder sound, unless your car is very highly modified. Perhaps it begins to make a more significant difference at 800 HP, but at 700 HP, I did not find the difference between 60mm and 70mm to be significant in real world testing. My car actually ran faster with the 60 and the 60 is a better choice for anyone that uses their car as a daily driver or does not want too loud an exhaust. I get a lot of calls from owners that have an exhaust they feel is too loud. IMO, the 60mm is the answer...and it's been proven that it runs right with the 70 other than on monster builds, so there is really no down side for the vast majority of owners...

Last edited by John D; 12-24-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
John: Like I said before....my questions are better answered by the folks who routinely design, develop, install, and test the different systems. Since I don't plan on investing in a 600-700 HP system until the economic situation changes a bit....I'm content to stay where I am....and I can't say that I'm at all disappointed with the level of performance I'm getting out of the EP 60mm system....it's just that what usually happens post mortem (after you buy whatever it was you bought) you start wondering if perhaps you should have gone another route. I would tend to agree that given what I'm running....there's not much left on the table unless get a wild hair and decide that I'm going to try to stay up with the big boys. And that's not likely for the immediate future.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
John: Like I said before....my questions are better answered by the folks who routinely design, develop, install, and test the different systems.
Chuck, yea, I guess my 20-30 1/4 mile comparison runs and 35,000 street miles of testing and comparing our 60mm vs. the 70mm 996TT exhaust don't mean much. Not to mention all the feedback I receive from customers and tuners that use and dyno our exhaust systems, etc. We should probably leave this to someone that routinely designs, develops, installs, and tests the different systems Sorry, I thought my input may be helpful.

Note: IMO, technical analysis only goes so far - real world numbers speak volumes.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 12-24-2008 at 10:42 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Love my Speedtech 60mm exhaust