996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

clutch pedal engagement point varies...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
clutch pedal engagement point varies...

what gives ?
just curious... one day the pedal is a little stiff, the next day its loosey goosie ...

i changed the accumulator ...

what do you guys think it is ?
my throw out bearing is being replaced as we speak...

any thoughts that it could be the master slave cylinder ?

Old 12-27-2008, 03:07 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Mine too. Bled the Hell out of it, but still was not easy to feel and modulate.
I bought the EVOMS GT2 clutch conversion kit and am patiently waiting for it to come.
Will advise.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:41 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
yea let me know
it feels like my clutch pedal has erectile dysfunction
one minute the pedal is hard the next its mushy

Old 12-27-2008, 04:22 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I put the gt2 mod in....at first you go "wow that is hard, boy did I screw up" and then a few days later you go .... "I love this thing. I LOVE this thing." It is that much better.

Have one in my car. Use it every day. This is not from a wanna have one guy...I did this at accumulator 2 time....

JB

Old 12-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I replaced the accumulator and the slave back in July of this year. I had my local shop doublecheck everything when they had the car in for a track alignment in early August. Well, I suffered hydraulic failure back in September, and the accululator had backed out... I believe that this instance can cause significant "shock" to the rest of the components. I'm currently suffering inconsistant pedal engagement. So I was thinking the same thing as Jeff, swap out the TT parts for the GT2 parts. I am considering buying another TT slave/master/accumulator and installing them. I think that suffering a failure like Jeff and I suffered will cause an extremely premature failure of the slave, and possibly the master.

Just my $.02, but I've been driving my TT for several days in Washington DC "holiday get away" traffic with poor results... I think the components have suffered the results of the accumulator backing out at the track.

Mike

Old 12-28-2008, 08:38 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I lost the clutch while on Pocono at a DE......had to pull the pedal up with my toes...right after a new accumulator and slave were put in. We all felt the fittins were the issue. There is a TSB on this. Search. Data is at renntech (free to join).

1. The stock TT system is hard to bleed correctly. Took two real grand am level mechanics a lot of time.... Seems you can get lucky and bleed it once well or it can be hard. People will chime in that they can do it and a crossword puzzle at the same time. Fine. Did not happen with my car.

2. The parts are not dirt cheap.

3. The stock feel is a bit overboosted IMHO.

4. Labor is expensive...look at T2...he has over 200k miles and 5 of these things have been put in....assume 4 hour each at about 100 an hour and at least 250 in parts/fluids (pentosin is not free)....and your time at the shope and time not having fun driving it because it is all screwed up....add more if a slave is done too....etc. etc. etc. I hate fixing things more than once. I think it is not just miles, but time too in some combination function. I bet one is needed on average every 2-3 years. I just got unlucky needing two so close together. Others have had a similar problem and not all of them have had shocks like Mikelly to their systems. I don't think Mike's car's issues are just that...the design is lacking.

5. So, I called Stephen at IA and had him ship me the parts. Turned out they were EVOMS. FYI. I wanted to give IA my business as he has answered my PM's over the last few years and been very nice about advice/help.

No regrets. Not doing any clutch fluid stuff ever again....and that is a great feeling. You run a parallel system with dot4 brake fluid doing the gt2 clutch stuff. Per Stephen at IA it feels like a stock 996 GT3 with the kit. I don't have one of those, but if you want to see what it feels like I'd go by that and find a ride in a gt3....to test it. Should have done it up front.

This is for a driver type of person....if you are just into looking good in the car, it is a little harder to push down...engagement is infinitely better. John D has one in his car too (speedtech exhausts and board sponsor...ask him or search for his comments...he likes his).

DAS rebuilt my tranny and it has the 2nd gear pop-out issue machined out if you will (and all new syncros just because I was in there anyway)...so it could be a bearing in their too....mine were all replaced.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-28-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Bluecuda is infamous around these parts
I've spent a lot of money on my TT, and I told Tym Switzer this last time he had my car "Fix the clutch, make it right, or don't bring it back." I was dead serious. The stock pedal feel on the clutch is TERRIBLE. I don't have a lot of experience with Porsche, but I've had 5 Corvettes and 2 M3's, all with varying levels of upgrades, and I couldn't shift the 996TT consistently. The point that the clutch engaged and disengaged seemed to change depending on the time of day, temperature, wind, who the hell knows. All I know is that first and second stunk, and no amount of power upgrades could mask it.

All that being said, Tym came up with something that really feels good. Like others have said, the pedal is FIRM to say the least, but I can modulate it without even thinking about it. I know it's got a LWFW now, but any more than that you'll have to ask Tym. HUGE improvement over the stock clutch feel.

Last edited by Bluecuda; 12-28-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
throw out bearing broke

Old 12-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'll be pulling my tranny in January and fully expect to find something similar... I'll also be putting in the GT2 hydraulic kit from EVO.

Mike