996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mike Valentine's V1 Saved My Arse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:32 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Happened to me driving from Chicago to N.Y. I was ripping through the mountain twisties at a good clip in my SL500 Sport last year... V1 protecting me.

Cops had no where to hide b/c of concrete dividers on one side, and mountain side on the other. Whenever traffic is clear, which was often, I'd carve up the curves and dip well into the triple digits.

Well... I rounded a curve at the speed limit, and saw a clearing with 3~4 cops cars. The distance was far enough where I had time to take the V1 down. I casually drove by, and what do you know, one of them takes off and pulls me over.

He asked me where I was going in such a hurry... I asked him how fast he had me going... he told me the plane clocked me at 1xx mph... after that, I appologized, didn't bs him, and just told him that I only opened it up during safe stretches, and wouldn't do it again. I also had my police memorial plates. He was cool about it, and didn't make me follow him to jail... wrote me a tix, and I was on my way... phew...

Old 09-14-2004, 07:39 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Originally posted by collin996tt
Holy Smokey the Bandit. Ken, you're a POLICE STALKER, not merely an evader. You need to hang a mini curtain to hide those hideous gear.

Collin,
Actually, the screen does that for me...................

Old 09-14-2004, 08:15 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Well guys, I received a response from Mr. Valentine. Although we will not receive any preferential treatment, I completely understand, respect and agree with his position.

His response is as follows:

Thanks for all the kind words from everybody on the board.

The group buy idea is probably not going to please any 6speedonliners. Since we have NEVER given ANY sort of quantity discount, the group buy would end up being full retail

Other vendors can do what they please, but our company sticks to the idea that every customer pays the same price as anyone else. Even my family members!

Maybe we could sell a few more V1s from time to time by using discounts, but such a practice would make full-price buyers feel like we were giving them less than our best deal.

With one price for everybody, every buyer always gets our best deal.

As far as board sponsorship goes, we haven't yet developed a rationale for this particular kind of internet advertising. Perhaps I should review your pricing policies, but I can't make any promises for the moment.

Cordially,

Mike

Old 09-14-2004, 09:31 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
That was my exact take on Mike and a group buy...

Why would he do one? He is the only place where you can get his product and it always sells at list....

He has no business case to do one....

If we all want another we will buy it from him at list...

So he gets the business anyways...

Old 09-14-2004, 09:42 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I had a feeling that would be his response.

I was thinking at best you'd maybe get free shipping out of him.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:12 PM
02TT_87GNX is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by KPV
Well guys, I received a response from Mr. Valentine. Although we will not receive any preferential treatment, I completely understand, respect and agree with his position.

The group buy idea is probably not going to please any 6speedonliners. Since we have NEVER given ANY sort of quantity discount, the group buy would end up being full retail

Other vendors can do what they please, but our company sticks to the idea that every customer pays the same price as anyone else. Even my family members!

Maybe we could sell a few more V1s from time to time by using discounts, but such a practice would make full-price buyers feel like we were giving them less than our best deal.

As far as board sponsorship goes, we haven't yet developed a rationale for this particular kind of internet advertising. Perhaps I should review your pricing policies, but I can't make any promises for the moment.

Cordially,

Mike

Ouch! I was hoping he would cut around 100 dollars off the retail cost.

But business is business and since his product is positioned as the best available (which I think it is) he doesn't need to discount the V1.

Selling an additional 50-100 V1s at a discount probably doesn't affect his bottom line and really not worth his time. My guess is that he sells around 20K units per year (note: this is pure speculation).

I'll buy one over the V1 site today anyways.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:22 PM
SilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud ofSilverTTCab has much to be proud of
I don't understand what you said. Why can't you be the only one on the road for miles? The V1 need other cars around to work properly?

If your V1 set off while you were leading, and you slowed in time, then why were you getting tagged, meaning getting a ticket?

???
I think the method that the officer used is called instant on?
so as i was the first to start up the highway, my radar went berserk suddenly, i slowed down the best that i can. i got a ticket for going 78 in a 65.

on the return trip, there were lot more people on the road scattered about,, so every so often, the radar would set off, we'd slow down, and sure enough, there was a speed trap around the corner, on the hills, etc...

the stationary speed monitoring displays are always on and will set off the radar too, but easy to avoid

Old 09-14-2004, 11:07 PM
fdb996c2 is infamous around these partsfdb996c2 is infamous around these parts
I guess I'll order one from his website.

Kirby: Does your installation method allow removal without a trace? I'll be getting rid of the C2 in a few months to make room for the turbo S, so if it doesn't I'll just wait and install it on the new car.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:27 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by fdb996c2

Kirby: Does your installation method allow removal without a trace? I'll be getting rid of the C2 in a few months to make room for the turbo S, so if it doesn't I'll just wait and install it on the new car.
It is a piece of cake to hardwire a V1 and move to another vehicle without a trace.. There are plenty of posts that show the DIY instructions if you search the site.. Or it is on renntech.org I'm sure. Takes about 20 minutes...

Old 09-14-2004, 11:30 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
I actually don't understand MikeV's position. The reason why he should consider a Group Buy is the same for any other business that take advantage of such opportunities.

We're not talking about individual spot-on discounts. Group discount is a once-a-blue-moon thing. Besides, the more people use your product, more references you'll have, and more units you'll sell.

With so many enthusiasts on this board, each of us could easily bring him 5 or more customers.

20k unit sales is nothing. There are a lot of cars out there without a V1 or any detector still.

Oh well. He can stick to his fixed-price strategy. But I think instead of gaining 100 customers/referals instantly, he just lost 80% of them who'll delay their purchase decision.

Yes, even free shipping will be a nice gesture.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:48 PM
fdb996c2 is infamous around these partsfdb996c2 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Gary (Fl)
It is a piece of cake to hardwire a V1 and move to another vehicle without a trace.. There are plenty of posts that show the DIY instructions if you search the site.. Or it is on renntech.org I'm sure. Takes about 20 minutes...
Found it. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:56 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of

Oh well. He can stick to his fixed-price strategy. But I think instead of gaining 100 customers/referals instantly, he just lost 80% of them who'll delay their purchase decision.

It's the best. If you guys want a frikkin discount, go buy a K40. And good luck to ya!

Old 09-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by fdb996c2

Yup, easily removed w/o a trace.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:07 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by KPV

Cordially,

Mike
this should apply to any business. the group buy idea just don't do it for me. it's not that we can't afford extra 20, 50 bucks, but everyone wants the ''hook up'' price.

great job Mike! hope we can do this one day...

Old 09-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally posted by KPV
If you want the ultimate installation for speed detection awareness, the recipe is:

One K40 Speech Processor CB Radio

One Uniden Police Scanner

One Alpine Navigation System with stealth mode screen operation

One Valentine One Remote Installation Unit

I have used this array on my roundtrip travel to the Tail of the Dragon and must say that it was INDISPENSABLE!!!

I am sorry if I have recycled this photo a few times guys, but you never know who can benefit from it, so here it is again.....
Ken,

You forgot one thing.

A good laser jammer!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mike Valentine's V1 Saved My Arse