996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Exhaust Questions

So now that I have external wastegates going on soon I think it is time to retire my straight pipes (for only track use) and my Fabspeed Gen 1 exhaust.

So I have a few questions...

#1 - Who makes the largest diameter pipes, the reason why I ask because my car has GT3076/K24s so they need to be able to flow well without choking the car up.

#2 - Who has the least amount of drone. I do not mind some, but the Fabspeed is a little to much and my straight pipes are just wow....

#3 - What has the best external sound. I am not sure exactly what I'm looking for and I've looked at the exhaust thread. Since most of those cars are basically stock I do not know how much mine is going to sound different because of the loud whistle that it already has.

#4 - Finally what is the best bang for the buck. Realistically I am not going to spend $3-4k on an exhaust unless it does dirt deeds for me LOL!! Sure I would love a Switzer or a Europipe, but I honestly can't justify spending that much on a system.

I'm torn on what to do. I have a mother and father who occasionally ride with me and they already think the car sounds horrible. I think it sounds awesome with both the straight pipes and Fabspeed Gen 1, but the police and my neighbors think differently. I want something that sounds good driving around and I don't mind it being loud at WOT, but at low speeds I want it to sound tame.

-Chris

Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Fabspeed's 70mm/2.75" Maxflo Exhaust

Hey Chris,
We have a 70mm/2.75" Maxflo exhaust system available for the 996TT-997TT which utilize HJS 200 cell catalytic converters. This system is designed for the TT's with larger turbos/intercoolers, advanced ECU upgrades, especially turbos which push over 600HP to the wheels. There is limited resonance with this system because of the 200 CPSI sportcats; the Gen. 1 system you currently own should have 100 CPSI catalytic converters. Included in the system are the dual polished tips and we also have muffler bypass pipes available in 70mm/2.75" diameter with HJS 200 CPSI sportcats. Here is a link http://www.fabspeed.com/dyno4.html to the dyno graph hosted on our website which features the 70mm/2.75" Performance Package which includes Maxflo mufflers with 200 CPSI sportcats, headers, dual cone air intake, and an ECU upgrade.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
Many people like the Europipe...check out their web for sound clips

http://www.europipe.be/content/Video.html

Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Chris,

Another great choice would be the SpeedTech 70mm 996TT exhaust. It certainly meets all of your criteria, including "best bang for the buck". We have a 6speed member price of $1,995.00 - IMO, the quality, sound and performance rivals anything in the market, regardless of price. Check out our dyno of OEM vs. SpeedTech 70mm on our web site - it has demonstrated a fantastic gain on a slightly modified 996TT.

Here is a link to a short video: http://www.speedtechexhausts.com/Spe...DIX%20V2.5.wmv

70mm throughout - straight thru design

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 01-09-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
No affiliation -the Speedtech exhaust has terrific note, not intrusive at low revs but really sounds the business when the revs are up.That is how I very much prefer exhaust that you can still live with.Very well priced also and excellent value. Very helpfull vendor also!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
I own the Remus exhaust system which incorporates 100cell catalists...I would not change it...I am very happy with it...Good quality,Four pipes,nice sound,no drone and after 7000km no sign of poor quality...When i instyalled it,I noticed a difference in hp especialy at high rpm...

Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Chris,

If you are going to get something new, go bigger, 3 inches. There is a guy here in Houston, can't remember his name, ask Tommy or Ryan, who has an excellent rep for building custom exhuasts.

If I didn't love love love the quiteness/sound and civility of my 2.76 inch Europipe that is what I would do.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
you cant have the best of both worlds , your going to have to make some sacrifices to get the most power out of whatever system you pick . you want 3 in through out , drone will be imminent . some more then others..but it will be there . and your going to need the big diameter pipes for the flow of your big a$$ turbos.

I have a custom full 3 in , with burns race mufflers no cats , and the power is unreal i can guarantee you it will out flow about 95% of the exhuasts out there and it sounds sick at WOT especilay with my twin 44 mm tial ext gate . puts a smile on my face each time , Oh and it wont cost you more then 2 k.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Powell

#1 - Who makes the largest diameter pipes, the reason why I ask because my car has GT3076/K24s so they need to be able to flow well without choking the car up.

#2 - Who has the least amount of drone. I do not mind some, but the Fabspeed is a little to much and my straight pipes are just wow....

#3 - What has the best external sound. I am not sure exactly what I'm looking for and I've looked at the exhaust thread. Since most of those cars are basically stock I do not know how much mine is going to sound different because of the loud whistle that it already has.

#4 - Finally what is the best bang for the buck. Realistically I am not going to spend $3-4k on an exhaust unless it does dirt deeds for me LOL!! Sure I would love a Switzer or a Europipe, but I honestly can't justify spending that much on a system.

I'm torn on what to do. I have a mother and father who occasionally ride with me and they already think the car sounds horrible. I think it sounds awesome with both the straight pipes and Fabspeed Gen 1, but the police and my neighbors think differently. I want something that sounds good driving around and I don't mind it being loud at WOT, but at low speeds I want it to sound tame.

-Chris
Chris,

Your best bet is go with something with a center section cross over. GMG, BBi and UMW all make extremely nice systems, all 3in piping I believe. There are several advantages to going with a system like this

The center section...

1.Effectively combines both cylinder banks so you get the full sound of the motor working in unison rather than hearing two individual banks firing. The sound is incredible!

2.Helps to cancel exhaust pulses leaving virtually no drone

3.Hypothetically creates a vacuum, creating even better airflow.

The down side is the cost... GMG run roughly 5k, UMW (last I checked) was $3800 and I'm not sure what BBi's is. Either way, IMO these systems are well worth it!

Here's a couple clips of BBi's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xutuAA6atxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0muDdWsJ8yo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJUUEbVsq0

Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I'd really like to get a BBi setup because they sound incredible! I just don't think they actually have a system that they can just send out to customers. I really loved the way NineninesixTT's car sounded. I am not sure exactly what I want just yet. I need to sell my Fabspeed first before I can really do anything. I have my straight pipes that I can run until then. Hell they have been on 2 or 3 months already, so a little longer won't drive me to much more insane.

I am really looking for something to just putt around with. I know it won't have the performance that I do with my AWE 3" straight pipes that I have for the track, etc. I just am looking at 70mm because it will outflow what I have now for a daily driving exhaust and hopefully won't be as annoying.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Does some one havea picture of the BBi ? im curious to see what it looks like.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Powell
I'd really like to get a BBi setup because they sound incredible! I just don't think they actually have a system that they can just send out to customers. I really loved the way NineninesixTT's car sounded. I am not sure exactly what I want just yet. I need to sell my Fabspeed first before I can really do anything. I have my straight pipes that I can run until then. Hell they have been on 2 or 3 months already, so a little longer won't drive me to much more insane.

I am really looking for something to just putt around with. I know it won't have the performance that I do with my AWE 3" straight pipes that I have for the track, etc. I just am looking at 70mm because it will outflow what I have now for a daily driving exhaust and hopefully won't be as annoying.
I'm sure if you call BBi they will make you one. They're a really good group of guys with an amazing amount of experience. I'll be seeing them next week and will put in a good word for ya. Otherwise, call Kevin at UMW and try to work something out. All the cross over systems are relatively the same (3in piping, 100 cell cats, light weight, etc). And I believe Kevin offers an interchangeable muffler bypass system for the track (replaces the lower 2 of 4 mufflers) so you can swap back and forth.

Here's a picture of with all four mufflers

Sounds clip here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxp266G7eo

GMG's system

Sound clip and info here...

http://gmgracing.com/porsche_exhaust_gmg_wcgt996.shtml

FWIW If you were running AWE straight pipes with stock cats I can almost guarantee these systems will out flow them. The design is incredible.

Last edited by CarNerd; 01-09-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:01 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Switzer ,next subject

Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by unvmym3
Does some one havea picture of the BBi ? im curious to see what it looks like.
http://bbiautosport.com/gallery/index.php

=> open menu

=> 2008

=> 997 Turbo stage II

Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
not such an easy subject !
the best thing is to make a list with the prices of the exhausts !

bbi - $ ?
switzer - $ ?
speedtech - 1,995 $
europipe - $ ? ( for europe the price is 3000euro + ship )
fabspeed -$ ?
remus - $ ?
+ the others !

for me will be speedtech !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Questions