996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pls help with JIC Cross CO question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Question Pls help with JIC Cross CO question

I'm trying to get my JIC Cross coil overs adjusted and set up properly.

I think previous owner adjusted height by moving the spring perches and the springs may be too tight in the front.

My question is....looking at your front springs with the car sitting on the ground, is the top helper spring completely compressed and solid like mine is in the pic? (rears are not fully compressed)

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I no longer have the JIC suspension on my car but as best I remember mine were also totally compressed in front under static load. BTW, the changing of the spring perch positions is the correct way to adjust the ride height. I don't think your setup looks like the springs are too tight. To me, it looks just fine.

With the setup I now have, the smaller coil sets are completely compressed both front and rear.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM
BlueTT has a spectacular aura aboutBlueTT has a spectacular aura aboutBlueTT has a spectacular aura about
If you are in doubt, you should call JIC directly and they can give you the exact measurements between all of the springs unloaded. That way you can jack your car up and adjust accordingly.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
The "helper" spring is merely there to keep your spring from rattling around or becoming offcenter should you decide to turn your porsche into a rally car. It only holds the shock in place while still allowing you to lower the overall ride height to some ludicrous level.

Justin

Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Cool

Thanks for the responses.....not that I don't appreciate them, but I don't think some of them are correct.

Originally Posted by Al Norton
BTW, the changing of the spring perch positions is the correct way to adjust the ride height.
Per JIC:"The ride height adjustability is independent from the spring perch so adjusting ride height does not compromise the spring rate or rebound and compression of the damper."

Originally Posted by BlueTT
If you are in doubt, you should call JIC directly and they can give you the exact measurements between all of the springs unloaded. That way you can jack your car up and adjust accordingly.
You would think so, but I have been unable to get a good answer. They said that the shocks would need to be measured off the car as the are compressed somewhat when installed and measurments would be off.

Originally Posted by justinn
The "helper" spring is merely there to keep your spring from rattling around or becoming offcenter should you decide to turn your porsche into a rally car. It only holds the shock in place while still allowing you to lower the overall ride height to some ludicrous level.
Justin
Not exactly what JIC says:"All CROSS coilovers come with helper springs to aid in streetability of the coilovers. Also allows for a wider range of higher spring rates and for a smoother ride. In addition, this prevents any type of bump steer which can effect the corner of the vehicle. This can give a progressive feel of the suspension without dealing with progressive springs. "

Thanks but I'm hopeing that someone with them actually on their car can look and give me an answer.

Thanks again.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Brando
Thanks for the responses.....not that I don't appreciate them, but I don't think some of them are correct.

Not exactly what JIC says:"All CROSS coilovers come with helper springs to aid in streetability of the coilovers. Also allows for a wider range of higher spring rates and for a smoother ride. In addition, this prevents any type of bump steer which can effect the corner of the vehicle. This can give a progressive feel of the suspension without dealing with progressive springs. "

Thanks but I'm hopeing that someone with them actually on their car can look and give me an answer.

Thanks again.
the small helper springs do none of that. I deal with this on a daily basis, and I told you what the helper springs are there for.

I should add that they also help to keep the springs quiet, so something is there to absorb the sudden changes(potholes mainly). If they are not there, you will here the spring "clanking". This happens on race setups all of the time, especially when "cheating" a corner Another good example is jacking up a full race suspension where the spring is too short(due to failing geometry of the car setup in the first place) or trying to get the car too low, then lowering it back down. Many times when you take the car off the jacks, a spring or two will not be seated fully. Roll the car forward, and Blang... into place it goes Fine for a race car, but not the greatest for a street car to be CLANGING down the road.

JIC's Japanese to English translator bites.

It does not change the spring rates. Japanese suspension manufacturers tend to overspring everything, where the Germans do almost the complete opposite.

If it makes you feel better, raise the overall height of the coilover, and lower the spring perch. This will take some of the preload off of the main spring, and allow the helper spring to function more to your liking.

Don't forget the corner balancing afterward

Justin

Last edited by justinn; 01-08-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: corner balancing
Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Incidentally, you can compress those helper springs by hand. If your car is light enough to not compress the helpers, then I seriously need to put my cars on a diet

Justin

Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Cool

Makes sense.....thanks for your input.

Rear helper springs are not fully compressed, but fronts are completely. If you can compress helper springs by hand, why would rears where teh engine weight is not be fully squished when sitting on ground?

Just trying to see if this looks right.

Last edited by Brando; 01-09-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
It sounds like someone did not set them up correctly in the first place; using the lower spring perch as a height adjustment instead of the entire assembly. I would bring the car to a race shop that can corner balance and align so that they can set it up properly for you. Incidentally, how low is your car in the rear? Is it possible that you are at the limit of the shock? Can you grab the spring and move it back and forth by hand(not up and down). If so, that tells you that at a neutral position, the spring is not doing anything. Make sure the springs are loaded, however. Don't jack up the car to check....

Justin

Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Cool

I appreciate it......everything is tight. Height is GT spec.

I finally got an anwser from JIC about how they should be set up.

The helper springs set to 30mm in front and 40mm in rear, car unweighted.

Everything looks like it is correct. However, they still seem really bouncy.

I'll take it and get it corner balanced.

Thanks

Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 PM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Dude those are way too tight!

Hi, I put on my own JIC setup. I can tell you that the best way to start on an install is to tighten the springs by hand to snug only. That means the helpers are unsprung (not tight) but just snug along with main spring on shock. Set all the same height before install.

The helper aids in shock noise and also decreases harshness. The pics you have is basically no helper spring(too tight). Loosen both lower nuts and turn shock until helper is snug. Make sure that you mark the nuts and count the threads or turns as you spin shock. This will ensure eveness on all sides.

Setup takes tinkering - I was lucky enough to install and never have to adjust. Luck believe me. Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 PM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Take that back!

Is this pic with car on ground? If so may be ok - I never looked at my helper with car on ground - sorry thought you were on lift .