996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What mods do i need to make a k16 car as fast as possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 AM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
What mods do i need to make a k16 car as fast as possible?

Exhaust, DVs and a good tune. Is there anything else?

Old 01-09-2009, 02:59 AM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Turbos upgraded- there are some excellent results from K16/16G 's.
From there- Y pipe etc. Making it flow would be my priorty.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
good question !

i know that the headers are not important for the k16 so the stock ones are good.

your car is a tip or manual ?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:25 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
The best way to make a K16 car faster is to get rid of the K16s!!

No seriously, K16/16G's have proven to be a very cost effective and proven upgrade. You can get to 500whp, but it's still a K16 though, so don't expect to be able to keep up with a K24 car on the big end. Don't forget to upgrade wastegates too, if you haven't already.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
here are some guys with k16 that have some good time in the 1/4mile and not only, hope that they will post here !

Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
My opinion:

ecu tune from a good vendor
exhaust that is free flowing
dv's
suspension
seat time at PCA de events (this is probably the best option)

JB

Old 01-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
The best way to make a K16 car faster is to get rid of the K16s!!
plus 1. If You want lagless V 8 type performance get the hybrid GT 28's (K 16 hotside).

Old 01-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Bluecuda is infamous around these parts
I've got K16 hybrids and I'm putting down 580rwhp and the car is mid 7's on the 60-130.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bluecuda
I've got K16 hybrids and I'm putting down 580rwhp and the car is mid 7's on the 60-130.

Which hybrids? Do you have a dyno sheet?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
My opinion:

ecu tune from a good vendor
exhaust that is free flowing
dv's
suspension
seat time at PCA de events (this is probably the best option)

JB
+1

With nothing on the car but AWE Straightpipes and an EPL flash with 2 step we've been able to go 11.50 @ 122. If we can get a bit more traction I'm sure we could get the car to drop another tenth or two. At some point you'll likely want to invest in a good clutch but other than that it's a great all around driving car that runs quick on the street and track, not bad for under $1,500 in upgrades.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
You can max out your stock K16 turbos running 1.3 bar and at about 440-450awhp. The stages you really want to follow for parts for a great street car that you can drive to the store and race on the track would be -

Exhaust with 100cell cats
Diverter Valves
Cold Air Intake
ECU Flash
Optionally to do I would recommend going with upgraded intercoolers and headers as they are a good stepping stone if you decide to do K24/18G or even K16/16G. The intercoolers are a limiting factor at this maxxed out point. You could also upgrade the stock rubber boost hoses and FHose to the silicone ones.

Just make sure what you do does not pigeon hole you for further upgrades. Some parts, tunes, etc will make you doing double duty for further mods.

Your stock clutch should be OK depending on the condition it is in and how many miles. Usually guys dont change the clutch till they do a turbo upgrade.

When I first got my Project 996TT we went through the paces of testing different products and showcasing the affects.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Dont neglect weight savings.
1. Get rid of muffler entirely by running sport cats and muffler bypass straight pipes (50 lbs savings over stock 25-30 lbs saving over sport muffler).
2. Oddessey battery (25-35 lbs saving) over stock depending on which oddessey you buy.
3. GT3 seats = 58 lbs saving over stock
4. Convert AWD to RWD (71 lbs) + ~3% less drivetrain hp loss = huge gain
5. Light weight flywheel 10-20 lbs plus faster revving and better throttle response and probably less drivetrain hp loss.
6. Loose the back seat (22lbs) saving ect...

Check weight loss thread for more ideas!!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Bluecuda is infamous around these parts
Here's the previous post that I made about the work Tym was doing on my car: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ait-share.html

Since then we've added a light weight flywheel and a new clutch setup, and Tym ran a 7.59s 60-130 on a .7% incline. As Dan from Vivid suggested, I also went with Tym's monster intercooler setup because the heat soak on those hybrids would only let you get maybe 3 or so good pulls before you started losing power. I think that dyno was done in about 95 degree weather in northern Ohio this past summer.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
+1

With nothing on the car but AWE Straightpipes and an EPL flash with 2 step we've been able to go 11.50 @ 122. If we can get a bit more traction I'm sure we could get the car to drop another tenth or two. At some point you'll likely want to invest in a good clutch but other than that it's a great all around driving car that runs quick on the street and track, not bad for under $1,500 in upgrades.
On top of this set up...you could add water injection for an additional 30+ hp gain.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-complete.html

Old 01-09-2009, 01:40 PM
@ Dan - i was told (and read on 6speed) that the max bar on the k16 is 1.1 is it true ?
And the cold air intake is using K&N filter ? a lot of people told me when i install the K&N i will blow my maf, you know better that me and i hope that you will "educate" me on this facts, thank you !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What mods do i need to make a k16 car as fast as possible?