996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Your 16/16g mod results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Cross post from the "most out of my K16s" thread:
If it helps any. I ran two runs at the 1/4 mile track. I'm by no means a drag racer but managed to just get into the elevens and to trap 124 on 93 octane, AWD, full weight. I'm sure a talented driver could do better.
I also ran against a K24/18g car with injectors. Both on 93 octane, from 40 to ~140 I would jump out ahead and then he would walk a steady 3 car lengths on me by the time we shut down.
Your mileage may vary.
I don't have a driftbox, so I haven't collected any 60-130 data. Don't really care about it too much.
I've driven a full K24/18g car with fueling back to back with mine and for what I've spent, I'd take my car all day long. The torque experience at full boost is very similar from the seat of the pants.
If you search a bit, you'll find full posts on my dyno and drag experience.
A 60-130 before and after is very good for finding ACTUAL performance increases. Many feel that the $500 for the timing device is well worth it before spending $5K, $10K, $20K, $50K etc on mods. It is a better way of
knowing if you got what you paid for. Sounds like a nice upgrade you have.

MK

Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
A 60-130 before and after is very good for finding ACTUAL performance increases. Many feel that the $500 for the timing device is well worth it before spending $5K, $10K, $20K, $50K etc on mods. It is a better way of
knowing if you got what you paid for. Sounds like a nice upgrade you have.

MK
Thanks! I hear yours is no slouch either

I hear what you're saying regarding documenting your ACTUAL performance increases.
I know most people around here don't trust dynos. And I completely agree that just throwing a dyno number out there in a vaccum means nothing.
BUT, I before and after dyno my car on the same dyno with each mod. I did a baseline bone stock; before and after with just flash; before and after with just 5 bar 16g and retune; and finally another before and after when I added the exhaust.

I guess it's theoretically possible that my tuner is rigging the dyno between the before pull and the after pull to make me happy, but that's not what my butt and my gutt tell me.

In any event, that goes a long way towards proving my gains to me (but admittedly not a long way towards proving my gains to anyone else). Hence the comparison highway pulls and 1/4 mile time (videos of both are on youtube).

Here's the thing though, for all it's faults, a dyno has a few advantages: There's no shifting and weight isn't a factor (granted unsprung weight adds to driveline loss, but the same is true on a 60-130). That makes the results more repeatable in my book.
Again, I COMPLETELY agree that 60-130 and 1/4 mile are better tools for proving before and after results to 3rd parties, but I think a before and after dyno (if you trust the equipment and the operator) is a better tool for proving results to yourself.

Also, with all of the mods I mentioned above: base K16 flash, K16/16g upgrade w/ wastegates, Custom re-tune for the 16gs, Speedtech 70mm exhaust, Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch kit, and install for all of it, I still haven't broken $6k , so I guess I don't have as much invested in proving my mods as some other folks do.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Thanks! I hear yours is no slouch either

I hear what you're saying regarding documenting your ACTUAL performance increases.
I know most people around here don't trust dynos. And I completely agree that just throwing a dyno number out there in a vaccum means nothing.
BUT, I before and after dyno my car on the same dyno with each mod. I did a baseline bone stock; before and after with just flash; before and after with just 5 bar 16g and retune; and finally another before and after when I added the exhaust.

I guess it's theoretically possible that my tuner is rigging the dyno between the before pull and the after pull to make me happy, but that's not what my butt and my gutt tell me.

In any event, that goes a long way towards proving my gains to me (but admittedly not a long way towards proving my gains to anyone else). Hence the comparison highway pulls and 1/4 mile time (videos of both are on youtube).

Here's the thing though, for all it's faults, a dyno has a few advantages: There's no shifting and weight isn't a factor (granted unsprung weight adds to driveline loss, but the same is true on a 60-130). That makes the results more repeatable in my book.
Again, I COMPLETELY agree that 60-130 and 1/4 mile are better tools for proving before and after results to 3rd parties, but I think a before and after dyno (if you trust the equipment and the operator) is a better tool for proving results to yourself.

Also, with all of the mods I mentioned above: base K16 flash, K16/16g upgrade w/ wastegates, Custom re-tune for the 16gs, Speedtech 70mm exhaust, Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch kit, and install for all of it, I still haven't broken $6k , so I guess I don't have as much invested in proving my mods as some other folks do.
Not sure if you mentioned it (or maybe you don't) but do you replaced your DVs and FPR and Plugs when you got the 16g's? Thanks

Edwin

Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by M32
Not sure if you mentioned it (or maybe you don't) but do you replaced your DVs and FPR and Plugs when you got the 16g's? Thanks

Edwin
I'm still running stock DVs and stock plugs (though the plugs only had 2k miles on them when I did the upgrade). I did install a 5 bar fpr. I will be upgrading my DVs to Bosch 710N shortly.