996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Your 16/16g mod results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:59 AM
hrs1 is infamous around these parts
Your 16/16g mod results

I figured this would be a good topic that could consolidate results and feedback on 16/16g mods to help others make best decision on upgrade path. Realize that different dynos have diferent reults so their will definitely be variances. Please chime in!...So ill start:

rwhp 508 (dynojet)
rwtq 528 (dynojet)
bar tops off at 1.2

PROS
-Totally different class of car, beats gallardos and countless others friends cars raced. (stock or stage 1 996tts are now becoming obsolete compared with newer car BHP levels),
-Much more exciting to drive
-No impact on DD and reliability
-Reasonable initial investment (approx $10K with install)

CONS
-Nowhere to go but new set-up with bigger turbos to get material BHP increase (you can add spray and intercoolers but not material change)
-Ive become used to they upgrade and speed and need more

TYPE OF DRIVING
Mostly street, only tracked in the past. On the street great car.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hrs1
I figured this would be a good topic that could consolidate results and feedback on 16/16g mods to help others make best decision on upgrade path. Realize that different dynos have diferent reults so their will definitely be variances. Please chime in!...So ill start:

rwhp 508 (dynojet)
rwtq 528 (dynojet)
bar tops off at 1.2

PROS
-Totally different class of car, beats gallardos and countless others friends cars raced. (stock or stage 1 996tts are now becoming obsolete compared with newer car BHP levels),

CONS
-Nowhere to go but new set-up with bigger turbos to get material BHP increase (you can add spray and intercoolers but not material change)

TYPE OF DRIVING

Hey Hal!
Glad to hear you're still enjoying the car. Hope to see you in a couple weeks when I make it down that way.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Do you have any 60-130 mph times?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:40 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Good thread , i wil be watching.

Last edited by vbmw335; 01-09-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future

rwhp 508 (dynojet)
rwtq 528 (dynojet)
bar tops off at 1.2

PROS

CONS

TYPE OF DRIVING
Hal,

When you say rwhp, are you RWD?

$10k install, does that include suspension, etc or just engine mods?

Thanks

Edwin

Last edited by M32; 01-09-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Edwin-
If I recall, I got good deal from EPL for kit approx $4k, and for install was $5k and change that included spark plugs, plenum and tightining hoses. So you know you can get installs at less cost. It didnt include exhauast or anything else..think that part is $5k alone.

Car was tempoaraily changed to RWD for the dyno test

I dont have any equipment to perform 60-130 times

Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
riley6 is infamous around these parts
Edwin-
If I recall, I got good deal from EPL for kit approx $4k, and for install was $5k and change that included spark plugs, plenum and tightining hoses. So you know you can get installs at less cost. It didnt include exhauast or anything else..think that part is $5k alone.

Car was tempoaraily changed to RWD for the dyno test

I dont have any equipment to perform 60-130 times
$5K labor sounds quite high. Is that typical?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
Not typical at all. If its just a turbo,FPR and DV its 6 hrs tops install. So figure about $480 at $80/hr. For a clutch including parts $3000.

This was the estimate i recieved for installing a k24/18g kit on my car. Oh add another $200 for before after dynos.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Damn that labor charge is high!!

I was recently quoted 8 hrs to replace just the turbos. And 12 hrs to do turbos, spark plugs, DVs, EBC and ECU.

But our labor rates out here are $120+/hr.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Installing a EBC is pain.... especially when you need to run the wires upfront.... You either do it from the bottom but that requires lowering the tranny mount, taking out the center consol, wiring and soldering.... etc... not to mention doing the hoses in the back.... Or running them from back inside under carpet.... that requires taking out side panels, lifting carpets, etc.,... If anyone did they know... that alone, to do it right, may take up to 6 hours... its easier said then done...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Mark-
You don't need to fool with the tranny mount.... Mine only took an hour or so [once I found the damn grommet above the drive shaft that is!]

Old 01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
whats an ebc ?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
electronic boost controller

Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Tony - Lets catch up when your down here in sunny FLA!

To address the labor questions..keep in mind you can get done much cheaper if all you want is install, however as indicated the price I paid included plenum install (1200?) plus new plugs, plus reclamping/securing hoses, as well as boost leak test. So i paid for more comprehensive maint/install.

Anyways thought it would be interesting to see other peoples results so others can make better informed upgrade decisions

Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Cross post from the "most out of my K16s" thread:
If it helps any. I ran two runs at the 1/4 mile track. I'm by no means a drag racer but managed to just get into the elevens and to trap 124 on 93 octane, AWD, full weight. I'm sure a talented driver could do better.
I also ran against a K24/18g car with injectors. Both on 93 octane, from 40 to ~140 I would jump out ahead and then he would walk a steady 3 car lengths on me by the time we shut down.
Your mileage may vary.
I don't have a driftbox, so I haven't collected any 60-130 data. Don't really care about it too much.
I've driven a full K24/18g car with fueling back to back with mine and for what I've spent, I'd take my car all day long. The torque experience at full boost is very similar from the seat of the pants.
If you search a bit, you'll find full posts on my dyno and drag experience.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Your 16/16g mod results