996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are the PCCB's bad in the winter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 PM
josserman is infamous around these parts
Are the PCCB's bad in the winter?

I've read a lot that say's PCCB's are not good in the winter, especially 1st gen. THoughts? Can I use them w/ snow driving?

Old 01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Assuming carbon ceramics need time to heat up, they might not be as optimal as metal in day to day driving...

Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Had an 05 TTS with gen 2's and never had any issues in cold weather.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Carbon ceramic brakes on aircraft have bad problems in the winter. The operating cost on aircraft allow for the replacement of the discs with a little less grief than the PCCB's on your Porsche do. These brakes absorb water causing the discs to become brittle, reducing their durability, and the obvious performance decrease.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM
rdf16 is infamous around these partsrdf16 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TXGold
Carbon ceramic brakes on aircraft have bad problems in the winter. The operating cost on aircraft allow for the replacement of the discs with a little less grief than the PCCB's on your Porsche do. These brakes absorb water causing the discs to become brittle, reducing their durability, and the obvious performance decrease.

Don't have that problem with the F-16, there have been a few days when
it would have been nice to have snow tires though.

RD

Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Recently Gulfstream and Cessna have both issued Customer Bulletins concerning the issue. I know because, the powers that be, sent me ~6 emails about it.

Last edited by TXGold; 01-13-2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
josserman is infamous around these parts
Great so let me get this straigh....I am ok with them on my Porsche Turbo but better make sure to swap them out on my Jet?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I'd swap them out if you can on the TT. It's worth it with just the damage to one corner.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by josserman
Great so let me get this straigh....I am ok with them on my Porsche Turbo but better make sure to swap them out on my Jet?

They work fine on the B-777 also.

RD

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
a lot of people will tell you they work fine in the cold and rain.. and they do. But I wouldnt say they are great in the cold or rain imo.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 PM
N2SPEED is infamous around these parts
NOOB question....if I walk up to a 996TT, how do I tell if it has the PCCB option? I assume they look totally different. Anyone have a picture?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by N2SPEED
NOOB question....if I walk up to a 996TT, how do I tell if it has the PCCB option? I assume they look totally different. Anyone have a picture?

Yellow calipers and no rust on the rotors.

RD

Old 01-12-2009, 09:06 PM
N2SPEED is infamous around these parts
So Red calipers are the standard with typical pads?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm 100% positive porsche would not sell a car that had brake issues under any real world circumstance.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:32 AM
From a few different sources;

"The new composite brake pads also last around twice as long as conventional ones. What's more, the new PCCB pads do not absorb water, making for outstanding performance in the wet."

"Brakes featuring CCM discs offer much more responsive braking as well as consistently excellent performance in intensive use. One of the most obvious advantages to adopting them is their exceptional fade resistance - fade in fact compromises the driver's feeling of control when it comes to the pressure required on the brake pedal and responsiveness.
The CCM discs have a longer life under normal conditions, a fact that has clear financial advantages. Furthermore, even with continual track use, CCM brakes offer greater resistance to wear for better durability on track. The CCM braking system also cuts around 15 kg off the car's total weight which not only improves overall performance but also reduces unsprung mass and thus improves vehicle dynamics and ride comfort."

RD

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are the PCCB's bad in the winter?