996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Not feeling the power out of my 24/18g's. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Hello All,

Lets keep in mind that Blackhorseturbo has an AWD Tip and not a manual trans nor 2 wheel converted car or GT2. His trap time is 8.17 in which is the fastest Tip posted other than two 997TT Tips. The 997TT tip is faster than the manual trans cars also in production. All others are manual trans cars and many converted , different mods etc. You would have to compare it to another 996TT Tip AWD 24/18 running on pump gas with no EBC to get any comparison. Then again 2 different drivers in the same car can get different times also.

I spoke to him last week and he was to be installing his intake and sending me data in which I have not seen yet.

Best Regards,
Scott SLauson

Old 01-12-2009, 03:25 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Todd
How fast are you trying to make your car w/ 24/18's? Have you got any responses from other tip owners w/ the same set-up?
I know you already payed for softronic,but why did you not use Todd?
Paul, no real data from Tip owners. Kinda strange there are no other 24/18g 996TT tips that have clocked a 60-130. I would think I should be in the low 7's after it's dialed in.

Scott at Softronic and I have been communicating very well. He is now waiting for me to send new data to him after I install the new intake from Vivid (which should be here tomorrow). I hope to do some more data logging this weekend. I'm hoping we can tweak the tune further.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello All,

Lets keep in mind that Blackhorseturbo has an AWD Tip and not a manual trans nor 2 wheel converted car or GT2. His trap time is 8.17 in which is the fastest Tip posted other than two 997TT Tips. The 997TT tip is faster than the manual trans cars also in production. All others are manual trans cars and many converted , different mods etc. You would have to compare it to another 996TT Tip AWD 24/18 running on pump gas with no EBC to get any comparison. Then again 2 different drivers in the same car can get different times also.

I spoke to him last week and he was to be installing his intake and sending me data in which I have not seen yet.

Best Regards,
Scott SLauson

Hi Scott. I had the RWD conversion done as well.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Todd,

I believe the 24/18 Proto tip I ran also was a rwd conversion. It did have an EBC however. Both paulie and I walked it pretty hard and that was w/ my old GT28's. As I said, and I believe that Scott is probably also emphasizing this point, tips are really less than desirable if what you really want is a roll on king.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Hi Scott. I had the RWD conversion done as well.
OK I didn't know it was converted. The Tip though will still use more power than a AWD manual or 2WD manual. Lets get the car finished and send me the numbers and then I can adjust it as I said I was going to.

Many members do not understand that Todd and I work together on projects and several of them are the fastest cars listed for the trap times. This would include the number 1 spot.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
OK I didn't know it was converted. The Tip though will still use more power than a AWD manual or 2WD manual.

While this is true the loss difference between a manual and Tip is probably ~5%. The tip can somewhat make up for this loss in acceleration runs through faster shifting. Since Todd has done a RWD conversion he has regained ~ 3% drivetrain loss and cut ~71 lbs of weight off the car. I would say that the Tip should have a negligable effect in this case and the car should run like manuals with similar mods.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by MBailey
While this is true the loss difference between a manual and Tip is probably ~5%. The tip can somewhat make up for this loss in acceleration runs through faster shifting. Since Todd has done a RWD conversion he has regained ~ 3% drivetrain loss and cut ~71 lbs of weight off the car. I would say that the Tip should have a negligable effect in this case and the car should run like manuals with similar mods.

Sorry the 996tt tip uses more energy to run than any of the 996TT manual transmissions 2 or 4 wheel config. The first tip that performed better than the manual was in the 997TT. Should the tip be as good as you state in 2WD or AWD config you would see more of them with better trap times.

Best,
Scott

Old 01-12-2009, 04:13 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
To give a fair comparison Dr jitsu's car acts like a tip when we race...

Last edited by PAULIEWALNUTS; 01-12-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
Thats what we call Ricer math.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I believe the 24/18 Proto tip I ran also was a rwd conversion. It did have an EBC however. Both paulie and I walked it pretty hard and that was w/ my old GT28's.
Sean,
I am not surprised that you walked him. Didnt you have a 6.6-6.7s 60-130 with that GT-28 setup?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Yes...6.69 on race gas at 1.4 bars. The thing is the 24/18 I ran also was on race and with an EBC I assume he had his boost turned up. It was on the way back from Lonestar we all were on kill mode. It was a Proto 650.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Here is a pump gas 1 bar run I came across recently... slightly different set up then a 18g but it is on pump gas with 2 shifts... we are working also on a K24/custom wheel that should give a 18g a run for its money .. well actually a gt3076r as well LOL
Sean, we are coming to Houston so get ready... Ill show you what you been missing ... J/K

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 01-12-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Nice run Mark, the compressor must be a work of Art

Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Markski, is that the new Garrett based turbo you have been working on? Looks like a monster.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I can see my car ending up with a fuel system very quickly ......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Not feeling the power out of my 24/18g's. HELP!