996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Not feeling the power out of my 24/18g's. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
An EBC seems to control the boost better than the stock boost control sytem, but this depends on your tuner. A related and more fundamental question...do you have stock or upgraded wastegates? Stock WGs will hurt your power at these power levels.

You are asking the right question though...I don't know what other 24/18G tiptronics are either. But...low 8s are nothing to sneeze at. IIRC stock 6speed 996TT is 12s.
I have Upgraded wastegates.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:41 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Hard to tell from the pics in your avatar, but are those 22" wheels? That might be your problem right there.

Seriously though, if all else check out OK, just try doing more runs to improve on that time. Even though it's a tip, practice will help. Not sure if you should manually shift or keep it in auto...try different methods and see what works best.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
My opinion is based on what I've heard from multiple friends here in Houston that have had problems with Softronic, their support, and their product. I could have worded my comment differently, but would you rather me rip the company apart in an eloquent manner such as Craig might do, or just cut to the chase.

Softronic is using Protomotive tuning under lease or some agreement. I've heard problems with people getting in touch with Scott, problems with emissions because of widebands being turned off, and not disabled properly, and now a friend, who has been way too patient isn't even being able to utilize the thousands of dollars in mods for more than a month.

If you think Todd, or Tony are in debt to Scott at Softronic for his knowledge of tuning I have a bridge for you.

Ryan

Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Hello,

I'm glad you like the Softronic tune and it should be interesting to see what the added brake boost will actually take off your current set up from the other tuner. Between your car and this one was a .6 .
We also have cars in the 4's.

Originally Posted by Powell
I think you should add a EBC and get with Tony @ EPL about a tune. His K24/18G setup has run 6.08's in the 60-130s and I think a 10.6 @ 135mph in the 1/4. The car does have intake pipes, an extra fuel pump and runs a high amount of boost. It still proves that the tune is solid even running that amount of boost. I will be having Tony write me a tune soon enough. Hopefully with the brake boosting feature it should allow me to run in the 5s with the option to brake boost in 3rd gear.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Interesting since Todd does not perform our tuning and we have had NO issues with any cars passing emissions. Your comments are blatantly wrong and malicious. Perhaps you can tell us what car failed emissions? They were turned off wrong? Now thats another laugh. I suggest that you get your facts correct .

Perhaps you could make up some more stories, you seem to be a good fiction writer.

I do not have to say anymore on this.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Originally Posted by TXGold
My opinion is based on what I've heard from multiple friends here in Houston that have had problems with Softronic, their support, and their product. I could have worded my comment differently, but would you rather me rip the company apart in an eloquent manner such as Craig might do, or just cut to the chase.

Softronic is using Protomotive tuning under lease or some agreement. I've heard problems with people getting in touch with Scott, problems with emissions because of widebands being turned off, and not disabled properly, and now a friend, who has been way too patient isn't even being able to utilize the thousands of dollars in mods for more than a month.

If you think Todd, or Tony are in debt to Scott at Softronic for his knowledge of tuning I have a bridge for you.

Ryan

Last edited by Softronic; 01-14-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vividracing
An EBC does nothing but allow you to adjust the boost. If he is running 1.3 bar, he is running 1.3bar. Ideally on pump gas you should not run more. Yes he can change the gain on the Greddy, to how the boost comes on, but I doubt that will this entire post solved. An EBC will give him the opportunity to have a high and low boost and a warning feature if the car overboosted. Putting an EBC on stock internal wastegates is not necessary unless the stock boost solenoid is not holding boost consistant.

TXGold - That statement is harsh. Come on bro, lets place nice here. Do you know that Protomotive and Softronic work together on tuning sometimes? Do you know that companies such as FVD, Proto, and others use Softronics interface to load and share files? When EPL was tuning on Audi, he consulted Scott at Softronic many many times for help. Lets all know that everyone works together. When tuning my 996TT as we developed the 650 kit with Garrett turbos, I received maps from Todd and Scott as they were trying to get it dialed.

If everyone is so pro EPL and pro Protomotive, simple, Todd can connect to an exact same setup K24/18G car as his and use the Durametric cable and data log it. Compare the datalogs from both cars and you can see if the numbers coincide. Check to see where it is running rich or lean and what part of the power is up or down. PS - the map in Todds car is the same map those running Protomotive flashes from Proto or Titan get. Its the same map sent around!

Dan- I have purposelessly refrained from posting in this thread.... but let me clear something up.

I have been tuning Bosch ME7 ecu's since 01. The first time I spoke with Scott was 07.... We have NEVER asked Scott for help on anything tuning related.

We were tuning, datalogging with inhouse programs and flashloading 4-5 years before I even knew of the existence of Softronic.

Please refrain from mentioning or commenting on anything EPL related in your post. I have done the same for months now....

Last edited by Tony@epl; 01-14-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello,

I'm glad you like the Softronic tune and it should be interesting to see what the added brake boost will actually take off your current set up from the other tuner. Between your car and this one was a .6 .
We also have cars in the 4's.
My best pass to date which was done in the mid 70* muggy Houston weather was a 6.69 was on 19psi, with stock intake tubes, through exhaust, and full weight. I have lightened the car some, added straight pipes, and I have EVOMS intake tubes now and finally I'm running 23psi now. It is also now in the 40s during the mornings and nights. I KNOW the car has a lot more in it.

Regards to everything else I sent you an email detailing everything. So please feel free to take a look at it when you get a chance.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Hard to tell from the pics in your avatar, but are those 22" wheels? That might be your problem right there.

Seriously though, if all else check out OK, just try doing more runs to improve on that time. Even though it's a tip, practice will help. Not sure if you should manually shift or keep it in auto...try different methods and see what works best.
Freaking funny Chris. No, they are 24" DUBs beaotch! That's how I roll. Actually I'm replacing the 19" wheels with 18" HRE c90r's. I'm hoping that will help some as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Sorry didn't read the whole thread. My understanding is 1.2 BAR on pump gas and 1.3 BAR on race gas. Are you over boosting?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by ari
Sorry didn't read the whole thread. My understanding is 1.2 BAR on pump gas and 1.3 BAR on race gas. Are you over boosting?
1.3 on pump. No race gas.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
Possibly... but you cant believe the stock gauge.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
TX gold i must admit your statement was pretty harsh bro. simply repeating hear say and or rumors .

thats like saying or repeating rumors i have heard about EPL stealing UMW and protos tune and just revising them , does that mean thats true ?

lets play nice here .

Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Freaking funny Chris. No, they are 24" DUBs beaotch! That's how I roll. Actually I'm replacing the 19" wheels with 18" HRE c90r's. I'm hoping that will help some as well.
Please tell me you're not going to 18s... Come on Todd if you're getting HRE's do it big and get 19s. I'm shooting for mid 700rwhp area and I will not give up my 19s! These cars are rear engine cars so they do not have that much issues with traction unlike Vettes, Mustangs, Vipers, etc.. Unless you are having major traction issues I don't see why anyone would want 18s (seeing as you already have the tires for 19s). Rob, Paulie, Joe, and I all rock'em.. Sean is the only 18" club when it comes to aftermarket wheels. Remember who cares about HP its all about whos car looks the most ballin at the end of the day

Which reminds me.. I need a new front bumper and a GT2 wing so I can stand out!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Without question 18s are better performing. Less unsprung weight. Improved acceleration, braking and turning. GT3 Cup cars run 18s. I run 19s on the street but not on the track.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Without question 18s are better performing. Less unsprung weight. Improved acceleration, braking and turning. GT3 Cup cars run 18s. I run 19s on the street but not on the track.
If he is going to be road racing then I take that back, but if he is not going to be doing it whats the point of having a 18" rim. My F110's are lighter than most 18" wheels. Weighting in at 18-19lbs in the front and 21-22lbs in the back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Not feeling the power out of my 24/18g's. HELP!