996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Not feeling the power out of my 24/18g's. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
^^^^ yea what Powell said

Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Powell
If he is going to be road racing then I take that back, but if he is not going to be doing it whats the point of having a 18" rim...
Pothole resistance?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Pothole resistance?
I dodge them like a champion... I am knocking on wood as I say this LOL!

I may be in the Woodlands more often visiting a friend out there since its easy for both of us to get to. You, Rob, and I need to meet up one night for dinner some where.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
I dodge them like a champion... I am knocking on wood as I say this LOL!

I may be in the Woodlands more often visiting a friend out there since its easy for both of us to get to. You, Rob, and I need to meet up one night for dinner some where.
Let's do it!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Let's do it!
sounds like a "man date". Can I come? It is my thread and all.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
sounds like a "man date". Can I come? It is my thread and all.
This thread is getting way too weird.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
alright, enough of this creepy lovefest...

Todd, did you make an appointment for some dynos?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
alright, enough of this creepy lovefest...

Todd, did you make an appointment for some dynos?
No not yet. Scott has to tweak the tune some more.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Please tell me you're not going to 18s... Come on Todd if you're getting HRE's do it big and get 19s. I'm shooting for mid 700rwhp area and I will not give up my 19s! These cars are rear engine cars so they do not have that much issues with traction unlike Vettes, Mustangs, Vipers, etc.. Unless you are having major traction issues I don't see why anyone would want 18s (seeing as you already have the tires for 19s). Rob, Paulie, Joe, and I all rock'em.. Sean is the only 18" club when it comes to aftermarket wheels. Remember who cares about HP its all about whos car looks the most ballin at the end of the day

Which reminds me.. I need a new front bumper and a GT2 wing so I can stand out!
Yes I am and now there are 2 in the 18" club. Besides, Sean's car is pretty quick with those 18's.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
No not yet. Scott has to tweak the tune some more.
Basically the car was not finished in its mods or tuning when this thread was started. One set of data logs was taken to check the tune and we were waiting for the intake to be installed before any rev's were done. There is not much sense in finalizing a tune and then modding more and adjusting again.

The first tune was sent as a stock injector w 5 bar as that what was asked for. Then we found out it had 60lb injectors after it was running rich of course. Next the 3.8 bar was put in since you cant run a 5 bar with 60lb injectors. Softronic then sent another tune for this set up. There was also some issues with the installation on the waste gate hoses, then the car was data logged for a checking point .

I guess trap times would be in order after it is completed.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Nothing hurts power more than pig rich. Guess that explains why the 60-130's are about a second slow...

Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Better rich (slow) than lean (boom!). Still, that was a fast 60-130 time if running rich.

OK, I'm so glad Softronic brought this up! I have a burning question about using a 5bar FPR with 60lb injectors. The injectors themselves can handle 5bar (even higher according to mfr spces). With a proper tune (custom, whatever), a 5bar FPR can provide more fuel for the mix. Why is this setup avoided by all the programmers? Is the stock pump not up for the task?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Chris I think that is the case (stock pump not up to task) ....... It's also what i'm considering right now. Whether stepping up the fuel pump and adding the extra fueling is a good idea straight of the back to get more power or whether I should go with my initial plan and do the base K24/18g setup. My turbos are at Blouch getting worked over right now and i'm sitting here trying to decided whether to order all the upgraded fuel components.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I've been told by multiple tuners, and not just Porsche tuners, that a 5bar FPR and a 60lb injector will have major problems. The main one being that it will stick the injector open after a little while. The injectors are rated at 4.x bar if I remember correctly and even the manufactures will tell you to not run them at those pressures. Remember 5bar is 73.4psi of fuel pressure. We normally run 60psi max on the LS1s and Mustangs. The cars that utilize FMU's that spike the FPR to keep the amount of fuel eventually have problems with injectors sticking open after lots of use. You don't see it that often on FMU cars because the Fuel Pressure is actually only spiked when the car sees boost. FMU's are normally known as band aids for problems because of that.

FWIW I run 60lb injectors in the 700+rwhp area in the cold (135.7 @ 3650lbs puts the car at about 720rwhp in 55* weather), granted it's over 100% duty cycle, but I still do it. In fact I made 657rwhp SAE corrected at 5K RPM on a single fuel pump (stock intank), but I recently added a 2nd fuel pump for the extra fuel. I am going to be doing bigger injectors one day, but it may be awhile because I'm still getting cussed by my brother and Zac for having them do it for me.

I'll be getting with Scott over the next few weeks to update some stuff with my car to line a few things out with the car, mainly the MAF problem. I basically have pegged my mass-air and the only option right now to make the graph smooth is to use a Ford or Hitachi MAF. It's not like the car runs like crap, because it doesn't. In fact it's actually pretty damn safe considering it's taken my abuse for the last 9-10 months. I'd just rather have the MAF because I will eventually hit the limit where even a dumb file will not allow for the car to make any more power.

Todd my advice is to give it some time and finish up all the things you're going to do to the car (performance modification wise). Then do some data logging and send the files to Scott and let him work his magic. If you need to borrow a Durametric or need some dyno time for a reasonable price just call me. I'll be happy to go out with ya in the car and datalog it with my Durametric cable. My friend owns a dyno here in Pearland/Friendswood area that is where I dyno my car and we have the fans for the 996TT for the intercoolers. Since your RWD it will be really easy because we have to pop the driveshaft out of mine everytime. Just let me know man. I've gone through many different problems with these cars, and I understand its really frustrating.

PS.. I have not read the whole thread, just browsed through it, but have you changed your spark plugs yet? That's why my car was down on SERIOUS amounts of power at the 60-130 and now it's the reason why I can't even go into boost.

-Chris

Last edited by Powell; 01-15-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Better rich (slow) than lean (boom!). Still, that was a fast 60-130 time if running rich.

OK, I'm so glad Softronic brought this up! I have a burning question about using a 5bar FPR with 60lb injectors. The injectors themselves can handle 5bar (even higher according to mfr spces). With a proper tune (custom, whatever), a 5bar FPR can provide more fuel for the mix. Why is this setup avoided by all the programmers? Is the stock pump not up for the task?
You're asking a lot of of an injector at that pressure. It will work, but you may sacrifice the integrity of the injector over time and causing it to leak, casing more problems. You will also likely need an additional pump at this point as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Not feeling the power out of my 24/18g's. HELP!