996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Not feeling the power out of my 24/18g's. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
Todd my advice is to give it some time and finish up all the things you're going to do to the car (performance modification wise). Then do some data logging and send the files to Scott and let him work his magic. If you need to borrow a Durametric or need some dyno time for a reasonable price just call me. I'll be happy to go out with ya in the car and datalog it with my Durametric cable. My friend owns a dyno here in Pearland/Friendswood area that is where I dyno my car and we have the fans for the 996TT for the intercoolers. Since your RWD it will be really easy because we have to pop the driveshaft out of mine everytime. Just let me know man. I've gone through many different problems with these cars, and I understand its really frustrating.

PS.. I have not read the whole thread, just browsed through it, but have you changed your spark plugs yet? That's why my car was down on SERIOUS amounts of power at the 60-130 and now it's the reason why I can't even go into boost.

-Chris
My plugs are BRAND NEW. I have a D cable and I do want to dyno. I will call you to set it up AFTER Scott retunes.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
My plugs are BRAND NEW. I have a D cable and I do want to dyno. I will call you to set it up AFTER Scott retunes.
Sounds good, just give me a shout. I'll take off one afternoon and we can meet down there. The place I use is where Tommy has dynoed all his big HP Supras.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by onelove
You're asking a lot of of an injector at that pressure. It will work, but you may sacrifice the integrity of the injector over time and causing it to leak, casing more problems. You will also likely need an additional pump at this point as well.
I see the need for a higher flowing pump, but I've heard this injector story before and so has Chris Powell as he stated above. I do not believe it. If this is true, then why do the lower rated stock injectors do just fine with the 5bar FPR?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
From the manufacturers websites:

All RC injectors (both peak & hold and saturated) have a minimum fuel pressure requirement of 30 psi (2 bar) and maximum of 100psi (6.9 bar).

Siemens Deka 60lb injectors have a listed operating range of 250 kPa (2.5 bar) to 600 kPa (6bar).

Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
From the manufacturers websites:

All RC injectors (both peak & hold and saturated) have a minimum fuel pressure requirement of 30 psi (2 bar) and maximum of 100psi (6.9 bar).

Siemens Deka 60lb injectors have a listed operating range of 250 kPa (2.5 bar) to 600 kPa (6bar).
Chris, from what I've been told about it all this is how I figure what that means. Remember this is just me thinking out loud here. The injectors are rated to take that much pressure if it were to come to it. For example I use to make 85-90psi in fuel pressure for 15seconds in my old Supercharged Cobra with a FMU (when I had 36lb injectors) so that the car would not go lean. The injectors have to be rated for that spike of fuel pressure esp. when they are in a setup that does that. Now it does not, and correct me if I'm wrong, say that the injector is rated to flow that fuel pressure for a extended period of time. I cannot think of a good example of what to compare it to, but I think you get my idea. That it is fine for a short period of time to run at those higher rates, but it does not state their longevity at those fuel pressure rates.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Powell
Now it does not, and correct me if I'm wrong, say that the injector is rated to flow that fuel pressure for a extended period of time. I cannot think of a good example of what to compare it to, but I think you get my idea. That it is fine for a short period of time to run at those higher rates, but it does not state their longevity at those fuel pressure rates.
OK then, I will correct you! Siemens Deka 60lb injectors have a listed operating range of 250 kPa (2.5 bar) to 600 kPa (6bar).

Your other reasoning seems logical but consider that the stock injectors handle 5bar just fine, and also that the fuel pressure does not stay at 5bar constantly but only when under boost.

Waiting to hear from some of the tuners why 5bar FPR and 60lb+ injectors is avoided...as contemplated earlier, is it an issue with the stock fuel pump being too weak?

Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
It's probably avoided because it doesn't work. I tried it. It ran so rich I thought I had a gas leak.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
OK then, I will correct you! Siemens Deka 60lb injectors have a listed operating range of 250 kPa (2.5 bar) to 600 kPa (6bar).

Your other reasoning seems logical but consider that the stock injectors handle 5bar just fine, and also that the fuel pressure does not stay at 5bar constantly but only when under boost.

Waiting to hear from some of the tuners why 5bar FPR and 60lb+ injectors is avoided...as contemplated earlier, is it an issue with the stock fuel pump being too weak?

We have seen multiple failure....not over night, but over time running 60lbs injectors with a 5bar and more then 1 bar of boost. This had held true is every make we've use them in (porsche, audi, VW).

This is what led us to discontinued the use of the 60lb injector. There are many other options out there at the same or nearly the same price that work better.

Last edited by Tony@epl; 01-16-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !

The one tuner that has been pretty good about posting specifics on injectors isn't posting in this thread anymore, I believe.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 PM
OK, I have decided to stick with the stock intake with a K&N drop in filter. Datalog this afternoon and I will send the info to Softronic.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
God ,this thread is still going..I will have to come up with something interesting.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
We have seen multiple failure....not over night, but over time running 60lbs injectors with a 5bar and more then 1 bar of boost. This had held true is every make we'v use them in (porsche, audi, VW).

This is what led use to discontinued the use of the 60lb injector. There are many other options out there at the same or nearly the same price that work better.
Thank you for responding!!! You are the first one to document this in our forum (someone who has seen it first hand).

Any idea why, when the stock injectors do fine? It would be silly to think that they are built to any better standards than the 60lb. This just blows my mind and I apologize if I sound like I am obsessing about it. Here goes...

It wouldn't be a pressure/leakage issue because that would also affect the stock injectors.

The other confusing thing to me is that the 5bar pressure would actually create a situation where the majority of the time, the injector would spend more time off compared to the 3.8bar FPR. The higher pressure = more fuel releases with each pulse, so less on-time except under max boost. IOW, fuel injector dead time increases with higher fuel pressures, all else being equal. Seems like that would preserve the lifetime of the injector!

Power requirement is the other variable. Perhaps the 60lb injectors have some undetermined voltage requirements at higher flow?

Well...until someone smarter than me figures it out, we will continue using the stock FPR with 60lb injectors. A shame too, it would be nice to have a simple way to get a little extra fuel.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXGold
The one tuner that has been pretty good about posting specifics on injectors isn't posting in this thread anymore, I believe.
Originally Posted by TXGold
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
We have seen multiple failure....not over night, but over time running 60lbs injectors with a 5bar and more then 1 bar of boost. This had held true is every make we'v use them in (porsche, audi, VW).

This is what led use to discontinued the use of the 60lb injector. There are many other options out there at the same or nearly the same price that work better.
I delayed my post to long.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Thank you for responding!!! You are the first one to document this in our forum (someone who has seen it first hand).

Any idea why, when the stock injectors do fine? It would be silly to think that they are built to any better standards than the 60lb. This just blows my mind and I apologize if I sound like I am obsessing about it. Here goes...

It wouldn't be a pressure/leakage issue because that would also affect the stock injectors.
It also depends on the injector body that is being used. Most on this forum are using the RC's which are based on a completely different injector body and spray pattern than that of the factory injector. One injector may hold up better than another at the high end of it's efficiency, this is one of the main reasons we also began looking into a OE style body high impudence that could handle the requirements the engine requires without having to crank the fuel pressure up.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by onelove
It also depends on the injector body that is being used. Most on this forum are using the RC's which are based on a completely different injector body and spray pattern than that of the factory injector. One injector may hold up better than another at the high end of it's efficiency, this is one of the main reasons we also began looking into a OE style body high impudence that could handle the requirements the engine requires without having to crank the fuel pressure up.
Come on now, injector body style or spray pattern will not determine its reliability. I agree that maintaining the factory spray pattern is a good idea, afterall the combustion chamber/piston tops/squench area was designed using this pattern. But...a talented engine builder may have a good reason to use a different spray pattern to improve swirl and reduce detonation (this would be a very bold claim). BTW, I don't think most here are using RCs, but the same design as stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Not feeling the power out of my 24/18g's. HELP!