996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How do I tell if a bank check is real?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 AM
cybersam69 is infamous around these partscybersam69 is infamous around these parts
How do I tell if a bank check is real?

I am expecting to sell my car today. Finally. Hooray!

I have never done this before, and I think I have all my bases covered, but I do have 1 question.

The buyer is coming to my house with a certified bank check. And when he hands it to me, other than me looking at it, how can I tell if it's real? Can I call the bank that issued the check? I don't know the buyer from a hole in the wall. He seems like a nice guy, but what the hell do I know?

Should I ask him to come to my bank with me while I deposit the check?

Advice please.

Would love as much feedback as possible by 12pm TODAY!!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:57 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cybersam69
I am expecting to sell my car today. Finally. Hooray!

I have never done this before, and I think I have all my bases covered, but I do have 1 question.

The buyer is coming to my house with a certified bank check. And when he hands it to me, other than me looking at it, how can I tell if it's real? Can I call the bank that issued the check? I don't know the buyer from a hole in the wall. He seems like a nice guy, but what the hell do I know?

Should I ask him to come to my bank with me while I deposit the check?

Advice please. Would love as much feedback as possible by 12pm TODAY!!

It will still take a few days for the check to clear, bank check or not. All banks are different, but most, if not all still have a "clearing" policy. The only exception, I believe, is if the check says "official" at the top. My bank told me that a bank check is the same as a personal check as far as having to clear, but if it says "offical check" at the top, it's the same as cash. Both of you go to the bank to deposit it, see what the teller says, (you are both on video too, just in case!). Give him the keys when you get home, but keep the title until the check clears?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 AM
cybersam69 is infamous around these partscybersam69 is infamous around these parts
I think it's a moot point now since I need that money this afternoon to get a check of my own for the next vehicle, and since it takes at least 1 business day to clear, he will probably have to do a wire transfer.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cybersam69
I think it's a moot point now since I need that money this afternoon to get a check of my own for the next vehicle, and since it takes at least 1 business day to clear, he will probably have to do a wire transfer.

it's not likely you will have cash today, but good luck with the sale.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:24 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
A wire transfer will not clear until very late in the afternoon- they are not 'instantaneous', it takes a few hours for the bank to be informed that the money was in fact transfered and should be credited to your account.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Call the bank that issued the check to verify who it was made out to (you) and how much. It takes jumping through a few hoops but a certified or official check can have a stop payment order invoked so I would hold the title until the check clears, if I were you.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Call the bank that issued the check to verify who it was made out to (you) and how much. It takes jumping through a few hoops but a certified or official check can have a stop payment order invoked so I would hold the title until the check clears, if I were you.
I have always called the issuing bank to verify.

On day of transaction, go to bank with him/her to deposit...then go over to the notery to sign Bill of sale...she will make copies of licenses and whatnot at that time.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
wire transfer is the safest method. you can call the issuing bank to see if the check is authentic and will clear.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
call the bank to verify. if u need the fund to be safely in the account while the hold takes place, go open an new account under the same bank. fund should be available much sooner.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
You can always hold the title until it clears. Maybe write up a "Conditional Bill of Sale" condition being, the check must clear.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:33 PM
thth is infamous around these parts
I handed my certified check to the seller around 10pm, and got its key and title instantly. He trusted me as much as I trusted him...there was no deposit when he said "deal", we shook hand that meant "the contract is enforced". And I have my title transfered the next day before he cleared the check.

Good luck with the sale!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:16 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
I require the buyer to fax me copy of the check in advance. I then independently look up the phone number of the bank and call and verify. All banks (at least so far) have happily verified the check.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I tell you one thing, when I sold my M the guy gave me a wells fargo check and it looked like he printed it out on an inkjet...all went well of course.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 PM
it's well after noon in most places...get your loot or still have your car?

Old 01-16-2009, 05:19 PM
av2
av2 is infamous around these parts
Believe it or not, even actual money orders and bank checks will bounce. Incidents such as stolen bank checks or money orders by employees or others are examples why these checks are not 100% bullet proof. If you are unsure, go to the bank with him/ her and have the bank issue a cashier's check in your presence.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do I tell if a bank check is real?