996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

LIDAR Defense

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
Question LIDAR Defense

Is there a reasonable defense against a speeding violation caught with LASER/LIDAR?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I have not received a LIDAR ticket myself as I have been saved by my shifter twice.

These tickets are tougher to fight than a traditional radar citation because the target car (in this case you) almost certainly the car committing the violation since the LIDAR beam is very narrow and is generally felt to be limited to a single vehicle in traffic. There is also addtional information probaby available to the officer which further narrows the problem to your car such as range that the offending vehicle was from the officer. Many juristictions also have video hookups to the LIDAR guns which show the target vehicle with speed and range data superimposed on the image. Very bad info from your point of view. Thus, I dont think you will have much luck fighting it yourself in court.

I would hire a traffic attorney or ask the judge for deferred adjudication.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Supercollider
reasonable defense
Hmmmm. Harder to fight than radar, but there are tactics other than simply trying to prove the measurement inaccurate.

Most times when people get out of a ticket, it is NOT because the measurement of their speed was proven wrong (or more accurately, their defense resulted in the court finding the state didn't prove the case)...most dismissals are for other reasons. I would not make a decision to fight or not based on the detection method.

GL

A