996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best ECU Flash for Stock K16

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009 | 02:21 PM
Ray C. is infamous around these parts
I spoke to them prior to the GIAC flash. An exhaust is NOT required; they are suggesting. You will not get a big improvement by adding exhaust. You will however have to upgrade the DVs (diverter valves). With just those 2 upgrades you will be amazed with the difference! good luck!

Old 01-23-2009 | 02:46 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
yes, you DO NOT NEED exhaust, but it will net you about 15-25 more whp+wtq depending what you use. Do a search on dyno sheets, theres a ton here. My FVD sport exhaust alone got me 18whp and 19wtq, but it drones a little...

Old 01-23-2009 | 02:52 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
^^ Wrong answer.

There may not be one right answer, but I will say that GIAC is not one of them, and most on this board will agree. And I currently have GIAC (came with my car when I bought it and knew a lot less about the aftermarket!)

I say EPL or Protomotive. That is what I will be getting soon....
Um, I've got to disagree. The GIAC programming I got from Stephen @ Imagine was good for 11.5's at 126mph+ on puny K16's. A/F ratios were spot-on and the throttle response and power were great. True, once you go to more custom setups there are better alternatives for sure. However for a simple flash I have to say that the GIAC was very very good. If any other programming runs better performance times on K16's then it'd be a different story...

Old 01-23-2009 | 02:56 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
^^^^ kind of proof that "off the shelf" tunes are NOT perfect for everybody, not that anyone said that, but clearly GIAC worked for Jimmer and sucked for Flash...

Custom tunes rules...

Old 01-23-2009 | 04:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Hello All,

Softronic flashes are not generic or standard. There seems to be a big misconception on what people think a custom tune is. As an example every Softronic flash is made for the specific car. These include items such as exhaust, Turbos, octane, intake etc. We are also the only company that can offer the Durametric software and flash anywhere in the world at any time. The Durametric can log any data required and the same cable will then flash the car. We are partners with Durametric in development of this equipment. This allows a custom tune on every car in any location worldwide. Softronic does not have to travel to any location to perform this.

Protomotive along with other tuners use our system while they make their own flashes.

A K16 flash is not going to be changed dramatically from a car in California with the same equipment as one from the East coast. The difference will be one is for 91 octane and the other 93. Most tuning can incorporate all the features such as Air Pump, Post o2 function and other items in the same flash. Sure we could have some with the features and others without however we only make the best file for the car.

Softronic is also the only company that can read and adjust Over revs, Security data and other counters from the same cable.

We also send each customer their original file for the car and the tuned file via email so that you can always have it on hand. The flash time between these changes is only 4 minutes. Our original file is correct bit for bit in every way as the car was when it was made and will pass any binary or coding check from Porsche or Racing.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Last edited by Softronic; 01-23-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Clarified Tune
Old 01-23-2009 | 04:44 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
The convenience factor of Softronic is one that is overlooked. There is no need to go to a "tuning center" or mail in your ECU. Softronic flashing is done by YOU the client on your schedule. All you do is follow these VERY easy instructions once you receive your cable - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/p...?cID=10&pID=64

Where some think it is best to go on to the dyno, Softronic has done SO many flashes that these basic mods do not require that extra $1000 of dyno tuning. Softronic is also one of the ONLY companies that I know of through my own dealings and research that has maps (tuning) ready for just about every 993, 996, and 997 configuration. This includes the K16, K24, K16/16G, K24/18G, GT2860, GT3076, and others that require changes in cams and fueling.

Scott has been building race engines and tuning in CT for longer then some of us have been alive. Building cars for likes of Seinfield, working with Hendricks Motorsports, and handling some of the fastest cars seen here. Scott is no youngster making global map changes. Before buying any flash, give him a call and find out the advantages of Softronic comparatively.

Old 01-23-2009 | 05:21 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I'm surprised I'm the first to say UMW. Kevin's flash really woke up my car. He sent me a small programming unit that I connected to the OBD port and downloaded the program within 30 seconds. I have been very happy with it. Now 1 1/2 years later, I want K-24/18's. It's an addiction, I know.

Last edited by landjet; 01-23-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2009 | 05:21 PM
996twin_sc is infamous around these parts
Whoever you pick, make sure that if you want to upgrade and go bigger turbo's later on that re-tuning will not cost you an arm or a leg.

Protomotive gets my vote.

Old 01-23-2009 | 05:30 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
What's the difference between Softronic's remote tune, and EPL's live dyno tune?

Old 01-23-2009 | 05:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
What's the difference between Softronic's remote tune, and EPL's live dyno tune?
I can only discuss on Softronic however nothing in the sense of tuning the car. The car would be run on a dyno and information would be monitored in either case. Changes are then made and flashed to the car.

Most of the time our customers will do full load pulls while driving and data log the information. This gives true load testing with all variable correct since the car is moving under actual true conditions.

The biggest difference is we do not have to travel to any area to perform this. We can send and receive data and files 24/7.

Personally I also check binary for the PCA , Cup and other sanctioned racing. I'm the only one entrusted to do this for the Porsche cars. This is not just checking the CVN or checksums yet complete binary pulls of each race car. I then check the entire file and either fail it or pass it. There is no in between and my findings are final.

Many people do not seem to fully understand my qualifications in tuning and with Porsche.

Best Regards,
Scott SLauson

Last edited by Softronic; 01-23-2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-23-2009 | 05:50 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Love my EPL flash. Tony at EPL really knows what he is doing. In most cases I think he has to dumb down to us non computer genius regular folks. His pricing is hard to beat also.

Old 01-23-2009 | 05:59 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by landjet
LANDJET, I had a live EPL Dyno flash. The difference is after he does a flash he can do a dyno run and see the results. From there he makes adjustments and re-flashes until he is satisfied. In my case he made 3 or 4 re-flash/dyno runs. I my opinion this method is far superior to a simple mail in flash because every car is different and you can fine tune the flash. Iregardless of which flash you use, I think you will see a big improvement in all aspects.

Old 01-23-2009 | 06:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by magoochi
LANDJET, I had a live EPL Dyno flash. The difference is after he does a flash he can do a dyno run and see the results. From there he makes adjustments and re-flashes until he is satisfied. In my case he made 3 or 4 re-flash/dyno runs. I my opinion this method is far superior to a simple mail in flash because every car is different and you can fine tune the flash. Iregardless of which flash you use, I think you will see a big improvement in all aspects.

Hello,

I think you may want to read the two posts that I made. We are not a mail in flash and there is NO difference in tuning on the spot or looking at the same data on a screen. Data is data. This is done and checked in the same real time.

All Turbo flashes come with the programming software and a cable that is even compliant with the new Windows 7.0 that will be released in the future. This also includes the Durametric software that is another $287.00 value.

Given the age of these cars and how long they have been out most tunes should be written on the first pass and maybe a rev.

As an example as I post I'm also working on two files. One for a car in Trinidad and the other in Estonia. The file from Trinidad did not come with any initial car info so I will run it through the Porsche database and pull its entire history. I will finish both of these files and email them out with their original Porsche files.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

Last edited by Softronic; 01-23-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added Cable
Old 01-23-2009 | 07:28 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
I love it - flash wars and nauseating advertising all in one post. So much for the objective feedback you were looking for. Welcome to the 6...

Old 01-23-2009 | 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by jimmer23
I love it - flash wars and nauseating advertising all in one post. So much for the objective feedback you were looking for. Welcome to the 6...

Did anyone expect anything less?? Gotta love this place.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best ECU Flash for Stock K16