996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My "new" GT2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Reaper935
Speaking of tires, check the dates of manufacture (Link To Date Decoding) and have them inspected etc. I just noticed how you said the car only had 1,8xx miles and those are the original tires (look that way).

With the abilities this car is capable of I'd recommend getting a new set of tires for performance driving or high speed runs. The last thing you want is a old tire (even though cosmetically perfect) to fail on your pristine and perfect new GT2.

Please don't take this as a buzz kill, just something to think about. Enjoy in good health and welcome.
Originally Posted by RS38
great car and pics!!
(if the pics are quite recent, please do consider to buy new tires. they look like the first ones from 2003)
I understand the concern about the old tires, but do you guys think it's that pressing of a situation? I'm not going to track the car with these tires. My driving habits are to stay under 80 MPH 95% of the time, with short spurts near light speed taking place very rarely. I have very, very carefully looked at the tires for any bumps, cracking, dry rot, side balloons, etc. The tires have been inspected by GMG. They actually look new. Unless there is a manufacturing defect, which can affect old and new tires, they look fine. As I've stated, I'm going to have the tires inspected by an expert in the next few days. I'm not trying to convince myself, I just don't want to lay out another 2k+ for a set of new tires if I don't need them.

Here's an article I found. I guess I answered my own question:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-188098.htm

Last edited by MTheory; 01-26-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
As long as you're not seeing evidence of dry rott/cracks, you will probably be "OK" in driving them for a short period at street speeds. But two things come to mind...

A: You have a "supercar" now (would be a shame if a tire failure caused more damage)...

B: Those tires are going to be exceptionally noisy when driving...

Your wife might well "MAKE YOU" buy new tires... mine did... I'd recommend the new Michelin PS RIB! Fantastic and exceptionally quiet! The dual purpose at the track rather well too!

Edit: Just read that link you posted and...WOW! Replace them!

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 01-26-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
Ok, so I looked for the PS RIB and couldn't find it. Do you have a link? I'm thinking about getting competition tires. The car is not driven much, Never in the rain, and I live in Vegas where everything is very dry. What's the best competition tire out there? I've seen the Pirelli Corsa. I'm not looking for slicks, just more of a track/street tire.

Last edited by MTheory; 01-26-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
LouieLS7 has a spectacular aura aboutLouieLS7 has a spectacular aura aboutLouieLS7 has a spectacular aura about
Beautiful car!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Beautiful GT2, bro! Congrats on it, and enjoy in good health!!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Congrats on the new ride.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+Rib

I've driven on a number of "semi-street" soft DOT tires and they never do well unless you plan to replace them within 2K miles.

With the RIB, I've been able to do track days, drive safely in the rain, and commute in them... They're the best of all worlds in my opinion, except for price! They are VERY sticky and will pick up tons of track rubber when used during HPDE events!

Mike

Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Nice picture, looked like me a few weeks ago before I got to the speedway.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Bad A** car. Enjoy in good health!