996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Radar detector + VA cop = 996TT saves the day!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Radar detector + VA cop = 996TT saves the day!!

Well you VA and DC guys will appreciate this, all you other guys will find our radar detector laws dumb, as do we all.

Anyways,
I was driving off campus from my college today when I passed a county cop. I had my radar detector mounted in the center of the windshield for now, until I hard-wire it up near the visor.

I kept on driving past him and went on my way, thinking nothing of the situation. I continued down the highway at a good speed till about 2-3 minutes later I get K-band signal and look in my rearview mirror to see a cop with his lights on waaay back. At that point I think i'm screwed because I was going a good 10+ over the speed limit and it was raining, I figured he got me at some point and I didn't realize it. So I grabbed my radar detector from the windshield, the wires, etc. and threw them all in the door slot to be hidden. PHEW! Not...

Well I began to slow down to let him catch up, and proceeded to pull over. It was a young cop, a couple years older than me - probably in his mid 20s. He says "Hey man, how's it going, license/registration?" I go "Pretty good officer" - he then says "Boy you disconnected that radar detector from your windshield fast I see Heh" ---- I say "Oh, yeah... I saw you pass by me and I remembered they're illegal here so I should probably take it down....." - I've lived here for my whole life. Duh of course it shouldn't be in my car PERIOD woops hahah.

He said "are you from up north and didn't remember about the law or what?" (almost every kid at my college is from the north, that's why he asked) and I said "nah, i'm just ignorant" haha now the funny part....

He says - well man I LOVE THIS CAR, turbos are great! I said thanks, just got it! He said, "well I half expected you to run, and at that point I wouldn't be able to catch you, I would have been at a loss big time - that was really cool of you to pull over" hahaha I said, thanks man, it's the right thing to do.

Next he said "Well, I love the car, you were polite and pulled over, and i just can't merit giving you a ticket in such a sweet car, throw the RD in the trunk errr I mean the FRONT of the car and be on your way!"

Hahaha, so the 996TT saved the day, what a cool cop. Any of you from VA or DC know that 99% of the time you will NOT get out of an RD ticket, they're the easiest to give, and you always have to pay the fine even if you 'try' to fight it in court. Thank God I chose to drive the turbo to school today.

Last edited by Renegades; 01-28-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Great story, and glad you're still smiling!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Wow I totally didn't expect a post like that on 6speed TT forum at all Usually I see stuff like that on Bimmerforums, but it is nice to see that there is some fellow young "punks" here.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by adam699
Wow I totally didn't expect a post like that on 6speed TT forum at all Usually I see stuff like that on Bimmerforums, but it is nice to see that there is some fellow young "punks" here.
Haha, kind of an unorthodox thread for the TT forum heh. I'm young, and I enjoy my toys to the fullest. This guy was totally cool, i've deal with MUCH much worse.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Renegades
Haha, kind of an unorthodox thread for the TT forum heh. I'm young, and I enjoy my toys to the fullest. This guy was totally cool, i've deal with MUCH much worse.
I don't know what you do besides going to school but whatever you do you must be doing something right... I'm 28 BTW and love my toys too, so congrats on being a few years ahead....

P.s> ..."The one who dies with the most toys wins"...

Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
add me to the list .. Adam , where in chicago are you at? I see a lot of tt owners now in chicago. Maybe we can do a meet when the weather gets warmer.

Last edited by vbmw335; 01-28-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by vbmw335
add me to the list .. Adam , where in chicago are you at? I see a lot of tt owners now in chicago. Maybe we can do a meet when the weather gets warmer.

I'm in Palos Hills, definatelly looking forward to a meet when the glaciers retract

Where are you at?

Last edited by adam699; 01-28-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 AM
calfrank is infamous around these parts
great story. Hard to find cool cops like that nowadays. Most of them usually want your money!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

P.s> ..."The one who dies with the most toys wins"...

Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
VA Cops are no joke.....especially up here in Northern VA. I'm talking on behalf of others and from experience. I got pulled over for going just a click shy of doubling the speed limit on a major "BELTWAY" let's just say by an MD State Trooper, and they let me go with a warning. In VA, I'd be rotting in jail and driving a clunker b/c they would have seized it.....Funny enough, the FFX County Jail has a BMW M3 w/ the FFX Police Color Panels and a vanity plate that says "SEIZED".....Congrats and much success....

And congrats on the "COLLECTION" of cars for going to college.....come on up to Northern VA once in a while to attend our GTG's. We post them up in the Mid-Atlantic Section of 6speed.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
I'm in Palos Hills, definatelly looking forward to a meet when the glaciers retract

Where are you at?
In schaumburg.