996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Removing tow hook, help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:37 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Removing tow hook, help!

Guys, I received my 996tt some time ago and it's always had the tow hook installed. I'm trying to take it out but it's not moving.

I see an array of different tools in the trunk that may work...but want to make sure I'm using the right tool...can someone tell me if there is a tool I should be using to remove? Maybe I'm not using enough leverage?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
what kind of tow hook..the ugly factory one or an aftermarket one...toe hooks only need to be hand tight they don't have to be torqued and it's too bad that yours is so tight or possibly corroded...you should be able to insert a long thin tool in the opening (heavy screwdriver or crowbar) and break it loose...the toe hooks on my GT3 are rh thread so you should try counter clockwise first...good luck

Old 01-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Yes, turn counter-clockwise and it should loosen and come out.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:15 PM
TurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Yes, turn counter-clockwise and it should loosen and come out.
If that doesn't work, spray some WD40 in there and try it again.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
there is a terrible possibility here, I could kick myself for mentioning it, but it could be the reason the tow hook was never removed...many aftermarket ones were sold on ebay that were the wrong thread and your hook could be cross threaded...I hope not

Old 02-01-2009, 07:36 PM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the replies guys...it's the stock one. It's only been on the car for about a month. It's too tight for hand removal...and I tried taking this metal bar from the car but wanted to make sure I wouldn't be bending it if it was the wrong one to use!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Last night, tried again to remove, still doesn't want to come out.

Any other suggestions? I've been using the metal bar (the one with the red top) to push but it's not moving at all. And am I pushing the bar toward the passenger side so it is going counter-clock wise. Any suggestions?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Use a bigger bar, you need more leverage

Old 02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Onetime
Use a bigger bar, you need more leverage
+1. Get a 3 ft bar (I usually use the bar from my sears jack) and just lean into it. Be careful... once it breaks loose, we wouldn't want you to lose balance.

Edwin

Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
You could get a 3 foot piece of 1/2" metal water pipe from Home Depot. Run about 4-6 inches of the pipe through the hole in the tow hook and as you are standing in front of the car, twist the pipe to the left.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 AM
So you guys are saying it's normal that it's screwed in this tight? I kind of just assuming it should have broke lose with that little stick lol

Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by s14roller
So you guys are saying it's normal that it's screwed in this tight? I kind of just assuming it should have broke lose with that little stick lol
Not normal but possible.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Correct....NOT normal....but someone has really cranked it in tight.....you just need a long enough bar to give you enough leverage to really crank on it to get it to start back out...you can't damage anything here as long as you don't slip and hit the paint....

Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by s14roller
Use your big stick

Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
righty tighty - lefty loosey

try using a screw driver to give you some extra leverage

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing tow hook, help!