996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ecliptech Shift-I - Anyone have these?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Ecliptech Shift-I - Anyone have these?

After getting my K16gs, I have decided to purchase an aftermarket tach light to help me time my shifts. I placed an order for these lights and am wondering if anyone has any pointers in install.

The website says it's just three wires (Ground, Tach and Ignition) that needs to be hooked up. Is it that simple?

http://www.ecliptech.com.au/main_win_sep06.html

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Edwin

Old 02-02-2009, 08:30 AM
vbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant futurevbmw335 has a brilliant future
This looks cool, i have to check this out. sorry to digress Btw how has your stock clutch held up so far with the 16g's? any slipping you noticed?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vbmw335
This looks cool, i have to check this out. sorry to digress Btw how has your stock clutch held up so far with the 16g's? any slipping you noticed?
I haven't noticed much slipping. I have learned to ease into the throttle and I don't do runs from dead stop. I don't push the car until I'm in 2nd or third and even then, I don't dump the clutch or what not.

Edwin

Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
looks tasty...

Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 AM
M32
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
looks tasty...
Tasty and cheap

Nice meeting you yesterday Paulie

Edwin

Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
I've done this a few yeas ago. It's simple and easy, but along with that it's not super accurate and the lights can lag. I have mine set conservatively so it's really not an issue. Helps to have a visual of where you are in the power band. I set mine up in front of the vent so I have a full heads up display.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM
M32
Originally Posted by oak
I've done this a few yeas ago. It's simple and easy, but along with that it's not super accurate and the lights can lag. I have mine set conservatively so it's really not an issue. Helps to have a visual of where you are in the power band. I set mine up in front of the vent so I have a full heads up display.
Oak,

How bad is the lag? Also, do you have any pics of your setup? Thanks

Edwin

Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Edwin, I have compensated for the delay or lag by programming the lights to register a few hundred rpms quicker I think I set it to 7k rpms.

I'll post up some pics when I get a chance. I haven't been into working on my turbo since my last year long fiasco, It's been in hibernation.

Remind me if I forget!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:43 PM
M32
Originally Posted by oak
Edwin, I have compensated for the delay or lag by programming the lights to register a few hundred rpms quicker I think I set it to 7k rpms.

I'll post up some pics when I get a chance. I haven't been into working on my turbo since my last year long fiasco, It's been in hibernation.

Remind me if I forget!
Got it. Makes sense. I'll remember to do the same.

I'll have to search under your name to read about the fiasco...regardless, sorry that it had to happen.

Edwin

Old 02-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Edwin,

You can set the number of RPM's between seqential lights. If you set it at 100 RPM increments, the lights go so quick in 1st gear, that you have to be really quick when they begin to trigger.

If you set it to 200 RPM's, when the 1st light goes off, you have enough time to plan your shift. In the higher gears (3rd on), things don't happen as quickly and I think it's pretty accurate. I like it a lot and use it all the time - it's a great little product. I have tried a few shift lights and this is my favorite by far. IMO, it also looks the best in a Porsche, too - as the curve seems to go well with the interior lines of the car.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
John, you prefer this shiftlight over the little shiftlight you sell with the R9000?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:31 PM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Shift light

Originally Posted by M32
After getting my K16gs, I have decided to purchase an aftermarket tach light to help me time my shifts. I placed an order for these lights and am wondering if anyone has any pointers in install.

The website says it's just three wires (Ground, Tach and Ignition) that needs to be hooked up. Is it that simple?

http://www.ecliptech.com.au/main_win_sep06.html

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Edwin
I have one...3 wires that is it, very easy to install

Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
John, you prefer this shiftlight over the little shiftlight you sell with the R9000?
Yes, I like it better. The R9000 shift light works well, but IMO the sequential aspect of the Eliptech is a better design. It's more functional, especially in the lower gears. Also, I use the R9000 as a dual bank AFR gauge and the R9000 must be set to monitor RPM on one line for the shift light to work, rendering the R9000 a single bank AFR gauge and an RPM tachometer.

That said, our supplier of the R9000 has ceased operations and we will not be able to take delivery of any more of these excellent gauges. I announced this development over the weekend and we sold what we had in stock in about an hour or two, except for one. I have one remaining unit and that's it - anyone want the last one? Unfortunately, the product is history.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 02-02-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:47 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Yes, I like it better. The R9000 shift light works well, but IMO the sequential aspect of the Eliptech is a better design. It's more functional, especially in the lower gears. Also, I use the R9000 as a dual bank AFR gauge and the R9000 must be set to monitor RPM on one line for the shift light to work, rendering the R9000 a single bank AFR gauge and an RPM tachometer.

That said, our supplier of the R9000 has ceased operations and we will not be able to take delivery of any more of these excellent gauges. I announced this development over the weekend and we sold what we had in stock in about an hour or two, except for one. I have one remaining unit and that's it - anyone want the last one? Unfortunately, the product is history.
I was interested, but I'll wait for the latest and greatest...

Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 AM
M32
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Edwin,

You can set the number of RPM's between seqential lights. If you set it at 100 RPM increments, the lights go so quick in 1st gear, that you have to be really quick when they begin to trigger.

If you set it to 200 RPM's, when the 1st light goes off, you have enough time to plan your shift. In the higher gears (3rd on), things don't happen as quickly and I think it's pretty accurate. I like it a lot and use it all the time - it's a great little product. I have tried a few shift lights and this is my favorite by far. IMO, it also looks the best in a Porsche, too - as the curve seems to go well with the interior lines of the car.
Thanks John. I look forward to installing this and playing with it. Btw, I'm not sure if you're interested but I was emailing Ecliptech and asked them in passing if they were open to hosting a groupbuy. I can pm you the info if you're interested in hosting it. I don't think I can do it since I'm not a vendor.

Edwin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ecliptech Shift-I - Anyone have these?