996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

High Altitude Tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 AM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
High Altitude Tune?

Hi folks, its time for me to get the Porsche tuned for where I live in Colorado - at about 6k feet. I'm considering a flash from EPL followed up by a custom tune in March on the dyno at Autosport Werks.

What other vendors/shops have you guys used with great success?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I had Kevin set me up specifically for high altitude...took a couple of tries, but it works nicely now. You might post this on the Colorado section.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
We have high altitude tunes ready to go for both stock injectors and big injector set ups.

We've traveled to Denver 3 times this year specifically for altitude tuning!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Imola, do you have stock turbos or are they aftermarket? if hybrids, I would attempt to go with whomever tunes for those specifically. If they are stock then anyone who tunes for altitude can do it. Also remember that we run the worst of all 91 octane fuels. It is 91 with coors mixed in and it sucks.

There are many of us with high altitude tunes locally. Bill, myself, Chris and Danny, as well as John, and Klaus, and small shrimp. So there is plenty of people. Bill, Chris and myself have UMW, Danny has GIAC(I think) and John and Klaus both have Evoms, I think. Not sure what Tim has.

From reading tony's(epl) other threads he obviously knows what he's doing. So does Kevin at UMW. As for the others I don't know. Before you do the tune lets get a baseline up here. Either Bandimere or we can do some east runs with a vbox if you ever deside to come out and ride with us

I have been told that stock 996tt's trap 105-107 mph up here which is pretty lame if it is true.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:07 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I have been told that stock 996tt's trap 105-107 mph up here which is pretty lame if it is true.[/quote]

Holy craparino!!! Note to self, stay at sea level...

Sorry guys...had to...

Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 PM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Prche951
Imola, do you have stock turbos or are they aftermarket? if hybrids, I would attempt to go with whomever tunes for those specifically. If they are stock then anyone who tunes for altitude can do it. Also remember that we run the worst of all 91 octane fuels. It is 91 with coors mixed in and it sucks.

There are many of us with high altitude tunes locally. Bill, myself, Chris and Danny, as well as John, and Klaus, and small shrimp. So there is plenty of people. Bill, Chris and myself have UMW, Danny has GIAC(I think) and John and Klaus both have Evoms, I think. Not sure what Tim has.

From reading tony's(epl) other threads he obviously knows what he's doing. So does Kevin at UMW. As for the others I don't know. Before you do the tune lets get a baseline up here. Either Bandimere or we can do some east runs with a vbox if you ever deside to come out and ride with us

I have been told that stock 996tt's trap 105-107 mph up here which is pretty lame if it is true.
Well, fortunately, my car isn't stock =) However, with its current tune, it runs way rich since it was custom tuned for Miami (if that isn't sea level, what is? =).

I'm definitely going to ask for the before and after dyno charts when the car is dyno tuned. The car has on GT2 intercoolers, aftermarket exhaust manifolds and exhaust, piping, BOVs, the bolt ons with stock turbos.

My biggest complaint is the disel like cloud of smoke I have taking off from idle.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by imolafem
Well, fortunately, my car isn't stock =) However, with its current tune, it runs way rich since it was custom tuned for Miami (if that isn't sea level, what is? =).

I'm definitely going to ask for the before and after dyno charts when the car is dyno tuned. The car has on GT2 intercoolers, aftermarket exhaust manifolds and exhaust, piping, BOVs, the bolt ons with stock turbos.

My biggest complaint is the disel like cloud of smoke I have taking off from idle.

imola, so what turbos do you have, this is important if you are not going to go to the original tuner to get a retune for altitude.

ttboost, yup altitude sucks. The rule of thumb at Bandimere drag race track is that the 1/4 mile difference is a full second. I think I heard that for turbo cars the difference is only about 0.5- 0.6 seconds

Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
I've seen Imolas turbo, I believe it has the K16's. IMHO, Kevin/UMW is by far one of the best and one of the few who has a clue about higher altitudes, however he generally tunes his own stuff. If you want something more local, I would say Oren in Denver, I can give you that info later or maybe one of the others guys will pipe in.

I think it would be a good idea to get some sort of baseline with a vbox like Dennis mentioned above to compare to.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Who's tune is on the car now? I would recommend going to them first to see if they can do the high altitude thing. Since she obviously has a tune already. You would think that for a small fee they would upgrade to altitude.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Prche951
Who's tune is on the car now? I would recommend going to them first to see if they can do the high altitude thing. Since she obviously has a tune already. You would think that for a small fee they would upgrade to altitude.

I don't know whose tune is on the car now, but you have a great point - I didn't even think of that. All I got from the previous owner is "a guy in Broward county [Florida]" I did some googling after that, but never could figure out who that might be.

Is there a way to connect up a laptop and figure out whose tune is on the car currently?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I would start here: http://www.cecwheels.com/page3-10/AboutCEC and go from there. He may or may not have done your tune, but he may have a good idea of who else might have done it locally. The tune was most likely farmed out as many shops do that. They should have your car in their database.

I presume then, that you no longer have the factory tune. I would also try the local porsche dealers there that may have sold or serviced the car and ask their mechanics which local tuners are used in the county.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
I would say Oren in Denver, I can give you that info later or maybe one of the others guys will pipe in.
That would be Orrin ( Eurosport)...He doesn't actually do the tuning, but works with many that provide tuning. He does handle everything else Turbo and is highly recommended.

I know Tony comes to town (Broomfield) at least once a year and also comes highly recommended. Not just anybody can tune these puppies....

Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
Hey guys,

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I was reading the question about moving from the mountains to sea level and it got me thinking.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sea-level.html

What this thread seems to imply is that a "standard" sea level tune would potentially cause the turbos to run way harder than they should to produce 1-1.1 BAR. So, what are the high altitude tunes designed to do and how do they avoid this?

Also - if I buy a flashed car from Sea Level and bring it up to Colorado, is it just plain unsafe to run the standard tune? How long would you wait before either de-tuning or retuning?

Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
If you are on a factory tune and at sea level see 1.2 bar, you will likely see .9 bar or so at altitude. if you are have an aftermarket 93 tune for sea level, you are going to need to drive the car nice and then find someone to get you a 91 tune for the altitude, stomping on a 93 tune with 91, especially at altitude, is asking for trouble, its not so much a matter of time, its a matter of load on the engine with lower octane at altitude.

The thin air does make the turbo work harder, for example like above, if you turbos are putting out x work to get 1.2 bar at sea level, they will have to spin a heck of a lot faster (x+n) to get 1.2bar out of them. Some turbos I have found simply max out at certain altitudes, pushing them harder by program and valves causes an overspun shaft, more or less blown turbo(s). If one is blow, it will cause the other side to work harder to meet the load request.

Find out the tuner and give them a call and let them know what's going on, most of the respectable tuners will work with you. My advice is buy or borrow a durametric(.com) data logger, that will help the tuner see what really is happening to the motor. He should send you a program loader to "load" the adjusted files (pretty simple really).If you have a 'canned" file that isn't adjustable, save yourself the grief I had a couple years ago and go with a more respected tuner.

I'll send you a PM with more details so I don't get banned for bashing a possible forum sponsor :-)

Oh, because the air is thinner, it also is harder to cool the brakes and the intercoolers as well. (If you're a barely exceed the speed limits dont worry about this).

//Anders

Originally Posted by Ajs76
Hey guys,

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I was reading the question about moving from the mountains to sea level and it got me thinking.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sea-level.html

What this thread seems to imply is that a "standard" sea level tune would potentially cause the turbos to run way harder than they should to produce 1-1.1 BAR. So, what are the high altitude tunes designed to do and how do they avoid this?

Also - if I buy a flashed car from Sea Level and bring it up to Colorado, is it just plain unsafe to run the standard tune? How long would you wait before either de-tuning or retuning?