996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Custom setup: Gutted cats and exhaust cutouts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Worst case scenario if it doesnt work out.... just buy good exhaust.
Exactly

Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you give this a shot? I thought about doing the exact same thing last year but never tried it.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Did you give this a shot? I thought about doing the exact same thing last year but never tried it.
I think i'm ordering the cutouts this week. Sound Performance keeps prolonging their sale date for the boost activated cutouts so it's getting kind of old.... And I could order the DMH Electric cutouts today and have them here this week to install. I need some ASAP cause my new tune this week will be for a straight-pipe setup...

I'll post back once the project is complete - I hope it's finished by this weekend if all goes according to plan. I'm just mad it's taken almost a month for anything to happen with the boost activated cutouts and they're STILL not released yet... So I may just take my business elsewhere.

I'll report what I do and how we do it! :_

Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
I did a cut out on my daily driver this weekend. Cut outs are great, they produce more power then a full exhaust, yet are quiet when you want them to be!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
I did a cut out on my daily driver this weekend. Cut outs are great, they produce more power then a full exhaust, yet are quiet when you want them to be!
Nice Tony,
I just ordered them. I went with DMH cause it looks like Sound Performance is going to take a lot longer than expected......

My cutouts will be here by Thursday, and I went with a dual 4" setup

What car is that on above?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Call Stephen Kaspar at IA and discuss this with him. I did. I had planned the same thing in 2007....he tested a car as I noted above and it lost power on his dyno (I am 99% sure that is what he said, but was a few years ago when we talked). Our cars just don't have a lot of room back there. I'd focus on simplicity and losing weight above gadgetry any day, especially if you ever plan to do DE with the car. You want the car to be reliable above all else. If unreliable...it costs big time.

I am using a Switzer exhaust now fwiw and am quite happy. Lots of posts (recent "the official exhaust..." thread for help...lots and lots of good to great options... Mr. Kaspar is guru.

BTW: John D here has a great deal on these and Mikelly in VA was selling his down the road....with accessories, even installing it at his garage (his garage at his house has a lift...the man has an awesome set up). Money no object: GMG/ UMW/ Switzer/ Europipe...or speedtech. They are very nice to hear. I loved Mikelly's when I heard it at VIR. The hard core types do straight pipes (the have dB rules at some tracks though...). Agency Power, board sponsor, does ti stuff. AWE does custom stuff right up the road (near Philly). As does fabspeed....you can go from exhaust to pipes, +/- cats with their modular option set. FVD has a big sale. Basically, you have too many options. Heavychevy's PSI is on sale (was). That is bascially a europipe copy. Louder (race version) is really cool to hear.

My 2c.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-23-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Call Stephen Kaspar at IA and discuss this with him. I did. I had planned the same thing in 2007....he tested a car as I noted above and it lost power on his dyno (I am 99% sure that is what he said, but was a few years ago when we talked). Our cars just don't have a lot of room back there. I'd focus on simplicity and losing weight above gadgetry any day, especially if you ever plan to do DE with the car. You want the car to be reliable above all else. If unreliable...it costs big time.

I am using a Switzer exhaust now fwiw and am quite happy. Lots of posts (recent "the official exhaust..." thread for help...lots and lots of good to great options... Mr. Kaspar is guru.

BTW: John D here has a great deal on these and Mikelly in VA was selling his down the road....with accessories, even installing it at his garage (his garage at his house has a lift...the man has an awesome set up). Money no object: GMG/ UMW/ Switzer/ Europipe...or speedtech. They are very nice to hear. I loved Mikelly's when I heard it at VIR. The hard core types do straight pipes (the have dB rules at some tracks though...). Agency Power, board sponsor, does ti stuff. AWE does custom stuff right up the road (near Philly). As does fabspeed....you can go from exhaust to pipes, +/- cats with their modular option set. FVD has a big sale. Basically, you have too many options. Heavychevy's PSI is on sale (was). That is bascially a europipe copy. Louder (race version) is really cool to hear.

My 2c.

Jeff
I understand the facts behind this but a loss of power on the dyno doesn't make any sense. Did he just do the cutouts and dyno it? If so, that won't work. It's crucial to tune for these.

I have a custom file for my car setup for straight-pipes. I talked to three different tuners and they all told me the same thing - I will see a definite increase in power, especially up top, and spool time will be greatly reduced due to nearly zero back pressure. How would AWE and the other companies get away with selling $600 straight pipes (and why would guys run them on the track) if they didn't yield any gains? The Cutouts ARE straight pipes, nothing different really - they alleviate back pressure and allow for more flow, plain and simple.

Due to the fact I have a custom file set up for this exhaust application I think i'll definitely see gains. Guys on the Supra forums are seeing gains of 20-60rwhp, Audzine guys (S4s) run them and see gains - I had a dual 3" cutout setup on my Stage 3 S4. I've never seen negative affects from these; and I ran the DMH cutouts for almost a year - never once broke or malfunctioned nor did they ever scrape the ground. For $320 I say why not give it a shot!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Renegades
Nice Tony,
I just ordered them. I went with DMH cause it looks like Sound Performance is going to take a lot longer than expected......

My cutouts will be here by Thursday, and I went with a dual 4" setup

What car is that on above?
VW Gti with a 50trim t3/t4. Its what I drive more days.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I understand the facts behind this but a loss of power on the dyno doesn't make any sense. Did he just do the cutouts and dyno it? If so, that won't work. It's crucial to tune for these.

I have a custom file for my car setup for straight-pipes. I talked to three different tuners and they all told me the same thing - I will see a definite increase in power, especially up top, and spool time will be greatly reduced due to nearly zero back pressure. How would AWE and the other companies get away with selling $600 straight pipes (and why would guys run them on the track) if they didn't yield any gains? The Cutouts ARE straight pipes, nothing different really - they alleviate back pressure and allow for more flow, plain and simple.

Due to the fact I have a custom file set up for this exhaust application I think i'll definitely see gains. Guys on the Supra forums are seeing gains of 20-60rwhp, Audzine guys (S4s) run them and see gains - I had a dual 3" cutout setup on my Stage 3 S4. I've never seen negative affects from these; and I ran the DMH cutouts for almost a year - never once broke or malfunctioned nor did they ever scrape the ground. For $320 I say why not give it a shot!
Key may be the custom tuning to compensate for the cut out...that is something that perhaps was not in the mix....I'd still call SK and ask. Cannot hurt and he is very smart about all sorts of turbo things (he is the PCA national turbo tech expert).

Jeff

Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Key may be the custom tuning to compensate for the cut out...that is something that perhaps was not in the mix....I'd still call SK and ask. Cannot hurt and he is very smart about all sorts of turbo things (he is the PCA national turbo tech expert).

Jeff
Sweet,
I may talk to him if I run into any issues or if it doesn't work and I want to know exactly why.

But for how easy it'll be, and how practical it is, I say why not give it a shot.

I'll report back with info/pics

Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
VW Gti with a 50trim t3/t4. Its what I drive more days.
Nice,
My buddy had the exact same setup on his, it was stupid fast.

What do you have as "open/close" setup for the cutout? Or is it a bolt-on plate that you remove or install manually?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Former Vendor
Nice,
My buddy had the exact same setup on his, it was stupid fast.

What do you have as "open/close" setup for the cutout? Or is it a bolt-on plate that you remove or install manually?
Quicktime electric cutout.

This is the new direct injection car (2.0 FSI). Is your friends a 1.8t or fsi?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Quicktime electric cutout.

This is the new direct injection car (2.0 FSI). Is your friends a 1.8t or fsi?
It was an 03 1.8T. It wasn't the FSI version. I think it was making around 300whp though, he had radials on the front but in boost they still spun low down - up top that car was really quick. I forget which injectors he was running, but it was a straight exhaust setup too. He ran about 18 psi I think, since it was stock internals. Cool setup though, real fun for a daily.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor
It was an 03 1.8T. It wasn't the FSI version. I think it was making around 300whp though, he had radials on the front but in boost they still spun low down - up top that car was really quick. I forget which injectors he was running, but it was a straight exhaust setup too. He ran about 18 psi I think, since it was stock internals. Cool setup though, real fun for a daily.
Yup, mine should make ~400 or so to the wheels and get 30 + mpg on the highway .

Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Yup, mine should make ~400 or so to the wheels and get 30 + mpg on the highway .
That's sweet... Are those motors stronger than the earlier model GTi motors? Will the 400whp be on stock internals is what i'm saying.

Can't beat that, 30mpg is great.

What do you plan to run for rubber up front to get the power to the ground?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom setup: Gutted cats and exhaust cutouts