996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Road Noise from Pilot Sport 2's??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 07:37 AM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Then don't get soft tires.

Old 10-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
I have just bought a set of PS2's as well. So I don't have enough miles to compare with my first set of tires installed on the car which were the Pirelli's. They got really noisy in my opinion. I then went to the Michelin Sport Cup's and LOVED the tire! It was quiet all though the life. This was after several track experiences too. I just got the PS2 set because of my good experience with the Sport Cups, and thinking at some stage I'd get a second set of wheels to add the track tires to.

I am really distressed to hear that these things may get noisy!

My wife has Pirelli's on her C4S and they are noisy........

Old 10-21-2004, 08:15 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
I'm distressed too. I'm going to start hearing noises in my head even when the car is stopped

Old 10-21-2004, 08:50 AM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
Drive some twisties, appreciate tire noise.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:07 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by MetalSolid
Drive some twisties, appreciate tire noise.
What is this thing you call a "twisty"???
(Remember I live in FL )
Evan
PS-I will be putting my race pipes back on just to be louder than the tires.... I figure if my car is gunna give me a headache it might as well sound good and shoot some fire

Old 10-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Just do lots of drifting around the corners. There are corners in FL right?

Last edited by collin996tt; 10-21-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Exotic Performance
xico is infamous around these parts
it is time to change your tires. I had the same problem after 3000 miles of hard driving , you can't have both . In my car we did a road force test after 3000 miles and the road force was in excess of 65lbs , anything over 25lbs is not good . When we road force tested the new ones the average was 14 lbs, the more road force , the more noise.

Last edited by xico; 10-21-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:15 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by xico
it is time to change your tires. I had the same problem after 3000 miles of hard driving , you can't have both . In my car we did a road force test after 3000 miles and the road force was in excess of 65lbs , anything over 25lbs is not good . When we road force tested the new ones the average was 14 lbs, the more road force , the more noise.
If your buddy Alex would ever call me back or get me the tires I payed $1400 dollars for I could, but I guess my attorney will have to handle that one since he doesn't seem to take me seriously
Evan

Last edited by AMG ETR; 10-21-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:37 AM
just a member
dish it out is infamous around these parts
Left message for Alex just now. Do you remember our boy johnny from chi twn. Alex on that deal did back what he said. Do not want to type out the whole story but he ended up selling the first set of tires that we got stuck with and gave customer back full credit for what customer had spent. I worked great with Alex so do not mind dealing with him. I will keep trying to get him and get an answer if you want.

Old 10-23-2004, 03:28 PM
nman413 is infamous around these parts
Anyone want to buy a used set of PS2s? 235/295. I have too many sets of tires in the garage and need to get rid of some.

Old 10-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by icerbofh
Anyone want to buy a used set of PS2s? 235/295. I have too many sets of tires in the garage and need to get rid of some.
Just leave them by the curb on recycling days and I'll come pick it up

You have to say how used (as in miles). What are you wearing now if not the ps2?

Old 10-23-2004, 10:02 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by collin996tt
Could it be due to the wide grooves in the PS2? The pzeros have narrower grooves and more interlocked patterns, which is a design that I think is used in luxury car tires to yield less noise.
The PS2 is not a widely grooved tire when you look at it compared to the last generation Pilot Sport. The tread re-design was intended to make it a quieter tire. It's tread pattern is more circumfirentially grooved and it has a flat center rib. If alignment settings are correct the tire should roll on the center rib, in theory creating a quiet ride. Unfortunately, for 911's they are always alligned with some negative camber to maximize cornering. If more of the car's weight rests on the shoulders of the tire, they will wear at the leading edges of the treadblock, creating "heel-and-toe-wear" over time. This is what makes the tire wear like a saw blade and become noisy. If yours are worn that way, you'll notice it more at the inside (suspension side) of the tire due to negative camber settings. The PS2's shoulder blocks are much larger than Gen 1 and should not wear as quickly, but still will over time.

One thing we can all agree on, as hard as the manufacturer's try- these tires are VERY wide, and over time they really all become noisier. Passenger tires are much quieter mostly because the shoulders are more rounded, and the reason mud tires on Joe-Bob's pickup are so noisy - the blocks are huge.

Attached Images  

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp

Last edited by damon@tirerack; 10-24-2004 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by dish it out
Left message for Alex just now. Do you remember our boy johnny from chi twn. Alex on that deal did back what he said. Do not want to type out the whole story but he ended up selling the first set of tires that we got stuck with and gave customer back full credit for what customer had spent. I worked great with Alex so do not mind dealing with him. I will keep trying to get him and get an answer if you want.
For his sake please do... He is not taking me seriously.

Damon:I am going to take a video from inside my car of just how loud they have gotten, I am talking worse than the resonence from my straight pipes on the car!!!!! I have not touched the alignment and tire pressures never drop below factory spec so I am stumped why this has happened...
Evan

Old 10-24-2004, 02:00 AM
nman413 is infamous around these parts
Colin, I've had them for about 5 months, driven several thousand miles on them (dunno how many). I am wearing another set of PS2s right now but am switching to R-compounds. 1 1/2 sets of Dunlop SSRs sitting in the garage.

You are welcome to come by to look at the tires. PM me.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:13 PM
SOOOOOOOOO
I am starting to think the tires are ok and I might have suspension problems. Over the past week or 2 I have been hearing more and more suspension scraping and clunking coming from under the car!! Also my steeringwheel and pedals are vibrating HORRIBLY. I get continuous metal scraping noises once in awhile and also loud noises over bumps. Also the vibration gets much worse around corners, becomes more like a thumping vibration. I have had the PSS9's on my car for about 16K miles right now so I don't think that is whats making the noise.
I am thinking somthing else is wrong under there and my car is now out of alignment causing the serious tire noise.
Thoughts??
Evan
PS-Going to the dealer next week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Road Noise from Pilot Sport 2's??