996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Road Noise from Pilot Sport 2's??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 01:26 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Road Noise from Pilot Sport 2's??

Hey Guys,
I have a good chunk of miles on my PS2's (6-7K maybe) and man are they getting LOUD!!! They have way more road noise than my pirelli Pzeros ever did... I have checked the tread and it is fine (surprisingly since these tires are pretty soft). I would say I still have a good 5K miles left on them, but the noise..........
Anyone else have this problem??

Old 09-22-2004, 02:22 AM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
When the GT3 was introduced last year, Hartmut Kristen, head of Porsche special cars , stated the PS2s are quieter than the PZero Rossos when both are new, but become noisier than the latter when both are 50% worn. Your experience seems to mirror theirs .

Old 09-22-2004, 02:38 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
WT*? I bought the PS2 expressly for less noise thru out the entire tread life.

I have 3.5k and okay so far.

Forget it. I'll just wear my Bose Noise Cancelling headphones.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:10 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Ok wow, these things have gotten REALLY BAD. I can't even drive with the windows up it gives me a headache!!!!! Since Tire and Wheel Choices in Miami is a POS company (probably going legal on them) and has not given me my replacements to my first set of defective tires I have to deal with these things.... I will never buy a PS2 again!! That is one set defective (sidewall colapsed on all 4 tires and created huge bubbles), and the second set so noise it gives me a head ache....
I will stick with Pirelli from now on
Evan
PS-Are you guys serious that no1 else is having these problems????

Old 10-20-2004, 12:34 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
I can't imagine anything being noisier then Pzero asimetricos.

Old 10-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by ebaker
I can't imagine anything being noisier then Pzero asimetricos.
I would run the Pzero's over these anyday of the week!!! Much quieter... I think I will make a video from inside the car tomorrow so you guys can see what I am talking about!!
Evan

Old 10-20-2004, 12:51 PM
offroad911 is infamous around these parts
Tire noise is usually associated with erratic tread wear which is almost always the result of low or inconsistent tire pressure. Once the erratic tread wear begins, there is nothing that will correct or reverse the problem. In most cases the tread wear issue is not visible, however if you run your hand over the tread you will feel the irregularity.

I have PS2's on my C2 with more than 7K miles and ABSOLUTELY no noise and the best ride & handling quality I have ever experienced. I check my tires EVERY WEEK with a Moroso racing gauge. Just my .02

Old 10-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by offroad911
Tire noise is usually associated with erratic tread wear which is almost always the result of low or inconsistent tire pressure. Once the erratic tread wear begins, there is nothing that will correct or reverse the problem. In most cases the tread wear issue is not visible, however if you run your hand over the tread you will feel the irregularity.

I have PS2's on my C2 with more than 7K miles and ABSOLUTELY no noise and the best ride & handling quality I have ever experienced. I check my tires EVERY WEEK with a Moroso racing gauge. Just my .02
My car is only street driven and is not driven hard (no killing tread) and I check my air pressure regularly....
This sux, I have some really bad luck with tires......
Evan

Old 10-20-2004, 09:26 PM
NC Bob is infamous around these parts
Wait till your P-Zeros get about 75% worn. The tire noise is deafening. My next purchase will be nerf tires.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:03 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
I'd guess your tires are cupped. My experience so far mirrors offroad911s.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:04 AM
get these noise remover

Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2004, 01:04 AM
DavidS 996 C2 is infamous around these parts
I had two sets of PS-2's on my previous C2 and couldn't agree more on the unbearable road noise. After about 4000 miles it started and after 5000 miles the noise was overwhelming (especially between 40 to 55 MPH).

The 40 to 55 noise band was particulary annoying with city driving as it correlates to normal city driving speeds. Replaced the first set of rears at 8000 miles and driving was again quiet for another 4000 miles.

After reading your post and after my experience with two sets of the same tires my next set of tires will most definately not be PS-2's.

Old 10-21-2004, 05:10 AM
Could it be due to the wide grooves in the PS2? The pzeros have narrower grooves and more interlocked patterns, which is a design that I think is used in luxury car tires to yield less noise.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
I don't understand why there is so much concern about how much road noise is generated from a set of tires. It seems like a sports car owner should be more concerned about the traction and longevity of a tire. Do you all have the stock exhaust too?

Old 10-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Exhaust or engine sound is not noise. Tire/road noise is exactly that, noise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Road Noise from Pilot Sport 2's??