996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

big obnoxious rear wings... i want one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
I think TonyNJ was selling one for fairly cheap

Edwin

Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
An RS-sized wing in the retracted position sitting on top of the standard hydraulics/interface on a stock turbo deck lid will look pretty strange imo. For a "big obnoxious wing" to look like it actually belongs on the car I think it needs to be several inches above the deck.

Tom Kerr and I both have big obnoxious wings (12" chord and 63" span) and we like them very much. Getty design makes a complete kit (choice of CF or not) which has nice fit and finish. $2300 + couple hundred shipping + paint and you'll have something nice.

See catalog bottom of pg 51.
http://www.gettydesign.com/PDF%20Fil...%20Catalog.pdf

Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned
faukxyhall is infamous around these parts
[quote =M32;2246132]Steve,

What about just adding the GT2 add-on? Or... you can buy my TA type 1 Not obnoxious but gives it a nice slightly more aggressive look.

For me, a big wing needs to have a big body kit to accompany it.

Edwin[/quote]
sick wing

Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Al Norton
An RS-sized wing in the retracted position sitting on top of the standard hydraulics/interface on a stock turbo deck lid will look pretty strange imo. For a "big obnoxious wing" to look like it actually belongs on the car I think it needs to be several inches above the deck.

Tom Kerr and I both have big obnoxious wings (12" chord and 63" span) and we like them very much. Getty design makes a complete kit (choice of CF or not) which has nice fit and finish. $2300 + couple hundred shipping + paint and you'll have something nice.

See catalog bottom of pg 51.
http://www.gettydesign.com/PDF%20Fil...%20Catalog.pdf
Al... can I join that elite club?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
If you looking for some wing goes up and down like factory. TA type 1 and 9FF (GT2 blade style) are the on choice.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Fab6 is infamous around these partsFab6 is infamous around these parts
Any replicas of those that don't go for ridiculous prices?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Al... can I join that elite club?
Sure, man. Your tab will be a bit higher with additional shipping but jump on in, the water's fine.

P.S. If you plan to do any high-speed driving you'd better have something other than the standard issue tt spoiler on the front.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
al
ive got the aero front lip spoiler.. the same one you have in your avatar ..

it should be fine, shouldn't it ?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I just bought samboTT's.

Not enought time to play with this.

I'll post pictures. He just needs to send me his paypal address. BTW, he is a super guy. How hard will it be to paint...hmmm...

Jeff

Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Sure, man. Your tab will be a bit higher with additional shipping but jump on in, the water's fine.

P.S. If you plan to do any high-speed driving you'd better have something other than the standard issue tt spoiler on the front.
lol... have had one sitting in my garage for about 2 Months now

Will be using it with the Techart front end and splitter... that supplies a load of downforce

Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
al
ive got the aero front lip spoiler.. the same one you have in your avatar ..

it should be fine, shouldn't it ?
Fine if you don't drive it very fast or if you adjust to a very light angle of attack for the wing. I don't have any suggestions as to where to start if you go with that honkin' big wing from Getty. I no longer have the aero spoiler on the front of my car. I've gone to a much more agressive spoiler with winglets and a splitter that extends horizontally 4" beyond that. That's for the track only. I take it off for street driving.

The pic Stevo just posted is a nose with a lot of DF and that should probably work well for him. If you track the car it all becomes another game of F/R balancing with each component of DF. Try and then see will be the name of the game for me.

Last edited by Al Norton; 02-04-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
lol... have had one sitting in my garage for about 2 Months now

Will be using it with the Techart front end and splitter... that supplies a load of downforce

That's a beautiful nose you have there, Stevo. Will you do the radiator repositionings and ducting or whatever it is that's required to make it function like a true GT2?

Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
That's a beautiful nose you have there, Stevo. Will you do the radiator repositionings and ducting or whatever it is that's required to make it function like a true GT2?
It doesn't require it Al... car has run like clockwork on track for 3 years without any adjustments... got your PM thanks

Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM
You've proved it's great with your present wing but with the larger one and 12+ degrees of negative lift you may find you will need more on the front. Let's swap notes later on in the season.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
So, I should be in the club soon...sambott and I connected. Totally cool guy. He has been sent funding. Now the eternal wait as it it a big thing to ship.

Some questions to the gurus about big wings and front aero:

On doing more reading, some say canards are good at low speed but at high speed they add drag mostly.

Anyone drive with their wing on the car all the time (Tom)..any issues with wind/rain/police attention.

Al, could you post some track set-up pictures of your car front/rear/side...just for some educational help. TIA

The next step is to put track maps on:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...racer-mod.html

Highly recommended. Lots of space now.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-05-2009 at 05:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: big obnoxious rear wings... i want one