996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

big obnoxious rear wings... i want one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Jeff,

I don't know how to post pics but if you PM me your e-mail I will send you a couple of photos.

I haven't had a chance to test anything yet but am hoping to go to Roebling Road in a couple of weeks if I can determine that no one with a db meter will be monitoring my ehxaust note. Otherwise, it will be first of next month at Road Atlanta.

Jeff,

My initial setup will be a full 4" extension of the splitter and an 11.5 degree angle on the wing. My spoiler has little winglets on the sides but I don't intend to drill holes in my front bumper for dive planes. When considering their square area, I don't feel they give enough DF for the drag they create (just my opinion--no data to back it up).

Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Al's set-up is very nice. Al, may I post pictures?

And, I emailed MAShaw a few days ago about an RS spoiler on the hydraulics (SK's desire...). He felt it put too much downforce on the system and did not do it for that reason. I suspect he tested it and broke it. I also suspect that is the reason the werks unit has such a small surface area if you think about it. So, if you want a big, obnoxious wing, you probably need it to be "fixed" and not hydraulic. Despite woodsters desire to have us not notice his dress.

Jeff

Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I like the RS type wing the best in terms of looks. The getty designs are nice but I dont know if I want one that high.

BTW Al I already know what you're going to say and I know it's more functional, cleaner air etc. Just a preference thing for me. The RS type wing is so sexy to me.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
heavychevy
do you have any pics of your car ?
ive never seen what it looks like

Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
BTW Al I already know what you're going to say and I know it's more functional, cleaner air etc. Just a preference thing for me. The RS type wing is so sexy to me.[/quote]

Good Dez, I'm glad my high wing doesn't stimulate you. I won't have to worry about your doing anything "sexy" with my car.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
That's fine. Go ahead and post the pictures if you wish.

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Al's set-up is very nice. Al, may I post pictures?

And, I emailed MAShaw a few days ago about an RS spoiler on the hydraulics (SK's desire...). He felt it put too much downforce on the system and did not do it for that reason. I suspect he tested it and broke it. I also suspect that is the reason the werks unit has such a small surface area if you think about it. So, if you want a big, obnoxious wing, you probably need it to be "fixed" and not hydraulic. Despite woodsters desire to have us not notice his dress.

Jeff

Old 02-05-2009, 11:14 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
heavychevy
do you have any pics of your car ?
ive never seen what it looks like

Oh I just have a replica GT2 wing on it right now.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:56 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Cool spoiler from Al

Here are al's pictures. I really like the front custom, homemade piece and plan to copy him.

Al, thanks for letting me post them.

Attached Images     
Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
That's a **** load of wing on there Al... what track is that for?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
That's a **** load of wing on there Al... what track is that for?
Present setup is for Roebling Road to test and tune the balance. Wing is, of course adjustable and front splitter is adjustable from 1.5 to 4"----currently set at 4".

Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Puppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond repute
DP Motorsport Decklid, Mocified Wide Cupwing....

Attached Images   
Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Although this is not obnoxious but it is a more aggressive wing

Edwin

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Al wing is ready... forgot to post pic... thanks for tip on extending bracket.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Steven,

That really looks good. Adjust your rubber bumpers so that you must push pretty firmly to close the decklid. That way when you trigger your latch release the springiness of the rubber will pop the lid free.

When do you go to the track? I'm interested to see if you have enough front DF to be able to crank some angle of attack into the wing.

I didn't get to test at Roebling Road in February but did get some time in at Road Atlanta the first of this month. With 4" of splitter and 11.5 degrees of wing, I got lucky and had a good aero balance. I backed it down to 9.5 and the car still didn't oversteer. I need to spend some more time with the 3-way Motons to dial them in. Hope to find a guru at the track sometime this year to give some advice. Car tends to porpoise a bit after hitting the gators at the corners.

Puppan,

That is a great set up you have. Really good looking car.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks Al... not at track for a couple of weeks... going to have a 3/4 days constant track time for set up... think I am also going to add some Carbon Canards. I will take notes and keep you posted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: big obnoxious rear wings... i want one