996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

big obnoxious rear wings... i want one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
An RS-sized wing in the retracted position sitting on top of the standard hydraulics/interface on a stock turbo deck lid will look pretty strange imo. For a "big obnoxious wing" to look like it actually belongs on the car I think it needs to be several inches above the deck.

Tom Kerr and I both have big obnoxious wings (12" chord and 63" span) and we like them very much. Getty design makes a complete kit (choice of CF or not) which has nice fit and finish. $2300 + couple hundred shipping + paint and you'll have something nice.

See catalog bottom of pg 51.
http://www.gettydesign.com/PDF%20Fil...%20Catalog.pdf

for our car the 63 inch wing is perfect. fits the cars width and very effective on the track.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I like the RS type wing the best in terms of looks. The getty designs are nice but I dont know if I want one that high.

BTW Al I already know what you're going to say and I know it's more functional, cleaner air etc. Just a preference thing for me. The RS type wing is so sexy to me.
they arent that high I custom made my uprights ofcourse!! set it just below the roof line.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Speedshaq
You like this?
I like it. who makes it?

Old 03-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Puppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond reputePuppan has a reputation beyond repute
Steven,

That really looks good. Adjust your rubber bumpers so that you must push pretty firmly to close the decklid. That way when you trigger your latch release the springiness of the rubber will pop the lid free.

When do you go to the track? I'm interested to see if you have enough front DF to be able to crank some angle of attack into the wing.

I didn't get to test at Roebling Road in February but did get some time in at Road Atlanta the first of this month. With 4" of splitter and 11.5 degrees of wing, I got lucky and had a good aero balance. I backed it down to 9.5 and the car still didn't oversteer. I need to spend some more time with the 3-way Motons to dial them in. Hope to find a guru at the track sometime this year to give some advice. Car tends to porpoise a bit after hitting the gators at the corners.

Puppan,

That is a great set up you have. Really good looking car.

Thanks!:-)

Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Found this guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

I have nothing to do with the seller. The brackets look exactly like what I have now. It is nice.

Jeff

Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Pretty pricey for used. From the wording, I would bet the deck lid is fiberglass.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty pricey for used. From the wording, I would bet the deck lid is fiberglass.
I agree. I paid about half that. Note, I had to paint it all on arrival as shipping is not kind to big things...at least fed ex wasn't. Just wanted people to see that my unit seems to have spawned probably without the designer's knowledge...funny how thing take on a life of their own.

I have had it on the car for 1 month and I like it a lot. No issues save less rear view from the central mirror (like a real cup car I hear). The decklid is a modified OEM one for me at least, and is fiberglass. It is light and strong. FYI, the OEM unit on my car was fiberglass and was made in Switzerland for Porsche.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-07-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
There are different tastes in wings. Here's two I found on the internet. Steve, hope this helps.

I think this would qualify as big and obnoxious:

This one is more subtle:

With all this serious, knowledgeable discussion going on, thought I'd lighten it up a little bit.

Last edited by MTheory; 04-07-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I have had it on the car for 1 month and I like it a lot. No issues save less rear view from the central mirror (like a real cup car I hear). The decklid is a modified OEM one for me at least, and is fiberglass. It is light and strong. FYI, the OEM unit on my car was fiberglass and was made in Switzerland for Porsche.

JB[/quote]

JB,

Glad you are enjoying yout new wing. How have you balanced downforce for the front or do you just run a shallow angle of attack?

As to the rear-view mirror issue, Tom K had Viper Bob build some uprights that were taller and got the wing above the mirror. I did some copy catting and am well pleased with my setup.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM

JB
JB,

Glad you are enjoying yout new wing. How have you balanced downforce for the front or do you just run a shallow angle of attack?

As to the rear-view mirror issue, Tom K had Viper Bob build some uprights that were taller and got the wing above the mirror. I did some copy catting and am well pleased with my setup.[/quote]

Very shallow and I run some carbon fiber winglets up front very similar to the ones Mikelly had in Alu. I have not gone "fast" with her save one short on track trial...it was nice. The front did not seem loose. Now, if I took it to more down force, I'd need to change the front a bit. I am actually thinking of the MA Shaw or Getty GT3RS 996 front end. My only concern is does it hook up with a turbo well....I'd not want to change the fenders, etc. Just the bumper. What do you think?

Jeff

Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Here are my winglets....

Small, but at speed, they seem to make the front very stable. I have to give Mikelly credit their location....I wanted to put them in a place that could take a hit...I have two spare pairs of them.

Jeff

Attached Images    
Old 04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I think the pics of my spoiler and splitter are somewhere on this thread; I can't remmember. someone posted them for me somewhere. My spoiler has 2 little sluiceways built into it at either side and after installation (before I installed the large wing) I couldn't tell much difference. The car was still scary around turn 9 at Road Atlanta into the braking zone for 10A.

I know nothing of the mating habits of a GT3RS with our turbos. :-) If it fits, it will surely provide more DF but there may be radiator concerns; inflow and outflow from them. I would call the guy at Getty and ask him. He answered all my questions and gave good service. His packing job was good also. I didn't have to touch the CF wing and end plates.

Last edited by Al Norton; 04-07-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
can someone (preferably a machinist) fabricate me some sort of huge CF wing for my car ?

something like the gt3 rs maybe

or maybe fiberglass, and i'll have it painted silver

For you car I really like the 996 Techart GT Street Rear Decklid wing

Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
can someone (preferably a machinist) fabricate me some sort of huge CF wing for my car ?

something like the gt3 rs maybe

or maybe fiberglass, and i'll have it painted silver
Steve, buy the base from Getty and the possibilities are endless. You can buy whatever uprights lengths you like and whatever cross sections (wing) and enplates you like. Start with the RS wing and then later upgrade to something like Tom and Al have. Same for the length of the uprights.

If you want, PM me because I have been thinking about something similar.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I think the pics of my spoiler and splitter are somewhere on this thread; I can't remember. someone posted them for me somewhere. My spoiler has 2 little sluiceways built into it at either side and after installation (before I installed the large wing) I couldn't tell much difference. The car was still scary around turn 9 at Road Atlanta into the braking zone for 10A.

I know nothing of the mating habits of a GT3RS with our turbos. :-) If it fits, it will surely provide more DF but there may be radiator concerns; inflow and outflow from them. I would call the guy at Getty and ask him. He answered all my questions and gave good service. His packing job was good also. I didn't have to touch the CF wing and end plates.
I posted them for you . I like the splitter...but to be honest, I wish someone just made a snap on extension to our stock units. I have been thinking about doing something in epoxy/carbon fiber based on the aero base .....custom and "cheap" perhaps with simple bolt on's via nuts getting put "into" the unit via epoxy. I don't know.

I wish the extension samboTT had for sale for the gt2 bumper could be found for the stock bumper....anyone?

Imagine this but for a stock bumper.....wish I could get one made...I'd love it in AWE urethane.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-lip-lip1.jpg

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...front-lip.html

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-07-2009 at 07:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: big obnoxious rear wings... i want one