996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Track prep

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
av2
av2 is infamous around these parts
Track prep

I want to get my car ready for upcoming track events. As far as fluids go, what are the best choices out there for the TT tip? I am currently thinking about the following fluids:

Tip tranny: Redline D4 ATF - 9 liters
Diff: Redline diff 75-90 - 1.2 liters
Power steering: Pentosin CHF 11S - 2.26 quarts
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF 600 DOT 4 - 0.67 quarts
Engine Oil: Mobil 1 (5W-40) - 8.5 quarts
Radiator Fluid: OS Services Genuine Coolant plus a bottle of water witter.

Anything else I should replace? I've heard great things about Toyota's red coolant for racing conditions with 20% mix.

Thanks,

Old 02-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
What brake set up do you have?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by av2
I want to get my car ready for upcoming track events. As far as fluids go, what are the best choices out there for the TT tip? I am currently thinking about the following fluids:

Tip tranny: Redline D4 ATF - 9 liters
Diff: Redline diff 75-90 - 1.2 liters
Power steering: Pentosin CHF 11S - 2.26 quarts
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF 600 DOT 4 - 0.67 quarts
Engine Oil: Mobil 1 (5W-40) - 8.5 quarts
Radiator Fluid: OS Services Genuine Coolant plus a bottle of water witter.

Anything else I should replace? I've heard great things about Toyota's red coolant for racing conditions with 20% mix.

Thanks,
It's nice to replace fluids, but in my opinion, unless you are close to the end of the normal cycle for them, most of these changes are not necessary. The radiator flush alone is going to run you $250.

You *do* need to change brake fluid. You'll need two quarts of the Motul. One will do the change, but not leave you with much to top up if you need to bleed the system.

Just my 2 cents.

Jon

Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
av2
av2 is infamous around these parts
I am running on stock brakes.

My car is running on old fluids other than the motor and brake fluids, so I figure it's time for a change before hitting the tracks.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
If it were mine, I would switch brake fluid to Castrol SRF. It's quite expensive but so is going off th track if you boil your brake fluid. With stock pads you will still have the possibility of pad fade if you run hard but at least you would lessen the chance of fluid boiling.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Al Norton
If it were mine, I would switch brake fluid to Castrol SRF. It's quite expensive but so is going off th track if you boil your brake fluid. With stock pads you will still have the possibility of pad fade if you run hard but at least you would lessen the chance of fluid boiling.
+1.

I use SRF. It is the most expensive one, but it keeps its properties over time way better (as moisture gets into it) than any other fluid. So, for me, one flush per season......

80 bucks a liter, one bottle or so for a flush....

Jeff

Old 02-06-2009, 07:06 AM
audikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to beholdaudikp is a splendid one to behold
I would suggest getting some track pads as well...

Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
A lot of this discussion depends on your skill level. My experience is that the closer to novice you are, the harder you are on brakes. You're not going as fast, but that is in part due to overusing brakes. Track pads are definitely a good idea. There is some religious fervor on this topic - search the forum. I prefer Pagid yellows, others here will tell you Pagid orange, or orange/front - black/rear, or something else. I wouldn't recommend the mixed pads F/R unless you re an experienced track driver.

I use Motul. It's a factor of 5 times less in cost than Castrol SRF. I ran several hundred miles at Road America each day for three days in a row with no issues, and that is one of the fastest tracks in the country. Nothing wrong with Castrol, except the price.

My 2 cents.

Jon

Old 02-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I would NOT replace the Factory fill on the DiFF with Redline. Stick with the DELVAC OEM factory fill.

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants

Mike

Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I would NOT replace the Factory fill on the DiFF with Redline. Stick with the DELVAC OEM factory fill.

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants

Mike
+1

Same on the tranny. I know people use other stuff. I just redid my tranny due to 2nd gear pop-out and DAS put stock stuff in (and there were lots of cup cars in his shop). I used the stuff Mike posted too...same stuff more or less. It is NOT the same as generic mobil 1 gear oil. Get the Delvac or get the dealer stuff (which costs more).

Jeff

Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Couldn't agree more on this one... I've used Motul (and GS610) for two years with zero issues... Great stuff at a great price!

Mike

Originally Posted by FAST FWD

I use Motul. It's a factor of 5 times less in cost than Castrol SRF. I ran several hundred miles at Road America each day for three days in a row with no issues, and that is one of the fastest tracks in the country. Nothing wrong with Castrol, except the price.

My 2 cents.

Jon