996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The worm that never dies...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
The worm that never dies...

Ok,
After a bunch of research over the past few weeks I thought I had decided to go ahead and pull the trigger and get my k16s upgraded to k16/16gs....

Well, that seems awesome and all, and I may still do it, but i'm just wondering if that'll be enough power.

Enough power for what? Well, i'm looking to run with, and beat other street cars in the 500-600whp range.

That's where some of my buddies are at with their cars (400-600whp), so i'm thinking 500-515awhp in the K16/16G setup may not be enough.

To top that off, I had someone run their mouth to me yesterday about the Porsche. They have a Camaro SS making 450whp with just motor work, but he claims the 996TT would be a waste of gas for him. Additionally, he stated if I beat him, somehow, he'll get a nitrous setup so that he could make 550-600whp... Now how he's going to do that, who knows, he doesn't plan to build the motor and traction will be a major issue.

But let's face it, I think K24/18G's should be put on the list instead. What do you guys think?

On a good tune + race gas could I make 550-600awhp? If so, I think i'm game for that. Of course, i'd do the exhaust setup, 5 bar FPR, injectors, a clutch, and FVD Tuning.

What do you guys think? Have I made a good choice?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Renegades
Ok,
After a bunch of research over the past few weeks I thought I had decided to go ahead and pull the trigger and get my k16s upgraded to k16/16gs....

Well, that seems awesome and all, and I may still do it, but i'm just wondering if that'll be enough power.

Enough power for what? Well, i'm looking to run with, and beat other street cars in the 500-600whp range.

That's where some of my buddies are at with their cars (400-600whp), so i'm thinking 500-515awhp in the K16/16G setup may not be enough.

To top that off, I had someone run their mouth to me yesterday about the Porsche. They have a Camaro SS making 450whp with just motor work, but he claims the 996TT would be a waste of gas for him. Additionally, he stated if I beat him, somehow, he'll get a nitrous setup so that he could make 550-600whp... Now how he's going to do that, who knows, he doesn't plan to build the motor and traction will be a major issue.

But let's face it, I think K24/18G's should be put on the list instead. What do you guys think?

On a good tune + race gas could I make 550-600awhp?
If so, I think i'm game for that. Of course, i'd do the exhaust setup, 5 bar FPR, injectors, a clutch, and FVD Tuning.

What do you guys think? Have I made a good choice?
Yes, if you want to beat out 500 whp cars, you should go K24/18s.

Edwin

Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
k24/18g hands down.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
If you want more than 600 crank or if you plan on doing a fuel system (injectors and pump) or if your primary interest is straight line, top-end hp acceleration, K16/16gs are not your turbos.

If you want 600hp max (maybe a touch more on race gas) with the quickest spool possible, if you're a road course or stop light guy, and early/mid-range torque is your priority over top end hp, you're hard pressed to find a better setup than a K16 based hybrid.

It sounds like you fall into the former category.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
If you really think the 16g won't be enough then you're like a lot of us sliding down the slippery slope of modding. FWIW, I was in your situation several months ago. I decided to go the K24/18g route. I'm very happy with my power. Markski has told me that with 100 octane or better I'm making at least 575 awhp at 1.3 bar. That's my 2 cents good luck with your decision.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:10 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
18G's. If it's too much power, turn the boost down. That Camaro won't be a problem after that.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
18gs are the way...Get some injectors as well...you wont regret it...

Old 02-05-2009, 04:17 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
I'm in the same boat. Almost pulled the trigger recently on 16/16G's.... twice, but didn't want to do the turbo mod over again.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jjbravo
I'm in the same boat. Almost pulled the trigger recently on 16/16G's.... twice, but didn't want to do the turbo mod over again.
Exactly,
That's where i'm at. I don't want to do the 16G's then have some ****** run the bottle on his V8 and beat me, then i'd have to pull the 16G's out and go with 18Gs!

Hahah, But we'll see. I'm going to contact Blouch tomorrow about pricing, I think it's $500/ea for the 18G wheel if I sent them K24s.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
Just remember...someone will always have a faster car. But, K24/18gs sound awesome and driveability is not lost...maybe what I'll do when I get bored with tune/exhaust.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
People make too much of the turbo swap on these cars. It's a cakewalk. About as hard as an exhaust install. On my old Audi S4 you had to pull the engine.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
People make too much of the turbo swap on these cars. It's a cakewalk. About as hard as an exhaust install. On my old Audi S4 you had to pull the engine.
No i completely agree, I know they're extremely easy to get to.

I had a stage 3 S4 last year and it was a PITA to get to the turbos... Those are not something you want to be changing out very often haha

I just want to do something and be done with it, which is why i've considering making a bigger jump and going to 18Gs, even though i'm still contemplating.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:31 PM
MechanicalEng is infamous around these parts
I am also thinking about the K16/16g setup, I think 500-515whp is more than enough. Also you have to factor in engine wear/durability. K24/18gs migh be faster but also more expensive on the long run (engine rebuilts).

Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Renegades
Exactly,
That's where i'm at. I don't want to do the 16G's then have some ****** run the bottle on his V8 and beat me, then i'd have to pull the 16G's out and go with 18Gs!

Hahah, But we'll see. I'm going to contact Blouch tomorrow about pricing, I think it's $500/ea for the 18G wheel if I sent them K24s.

Don't forget, upgraded wastegates is a must, regardless of which way you go.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I think the engine will be fine, these are strong motors (based off the air cooled blocks, which are bullet proof).

So when I go with K24/18Gs, i'll be running the FVD software - I assume they have a file written for these?

Beyond that, which injectors do I need for the 18G setup, and which fuel pump? Should I do injectors or a 5 bar FPR? Will the 5 bar be ok or are injectors pretty important if I want 550+awhp?

Are injectors hard to install - no crazy engine pulling required, right? haha

Also, how many hours does it take to have a new clutch installed? I get labor for $66/hr at the Porsche dealership I work at, so it's cheap, but i'm curious how much time they say it takes.

Lastly,
Will I have to run an electronic boost controller? I know a lot of guys like that, but i'd prefer to just have everything setup and controlled through the tune, less I have to worry about - been there, done that, with the Supra, trying to steer away from all the added things haha.

Last edited by Renegades; 02-05-2009 at 05:52 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The worm that never dies...