996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Big wing conversion question (GT2 decklid upgraders, this is for you guys!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Sick as hell Jeff, now put it to good use

I would love to feel the diff on my car if any at all from my GT2 wing.. How much is that decklid?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. It is staying on the car for dd use.

I bought it from SamboTT. It was 1500. He used 996 RS/R wing parts..OEM I suspect (they are very, very high quaility....I suspect Getty Design perhaps too like Tom Kerr's), and a bit of bodyshop creativitiy with an OEM decklid on a turbo. The upgrights were home-made by his shop. They were black. Now they are blue. SamboTT is one very creative and quality focused person. He designed the thing and it is superb. I suspect he could make money putting these into kits for guys here.

He guesed he had 3000 to 3500 into it.

I had to have the body shop paint/fix just about everything that was shipped. Chips and scratches probably from FedEx. If you ever ship stuff painted...one item per box and just put about 2" of bubble wrap taped to your object. If the insulation is not firmly held in place, it WILL find a way to let your object rub the box....ask me how I know. He was cool, but I just went ahead and took care of the issue on my end professionally. Now it looks like a concours fresh set of parts. I want to say this publicly: not SamboTT's fault...FedEx cracked the foam holders in the boxes...they put stuff on the boxes despite probably 18 "fragile" stickers. I just did not feel like waiting 4 months to get 150 dollars from FedEx (or even 1 month to be honest....I wanted to put it on the car...I am sure you guys can understand...).

I got a wiring harness (GT2) from MAshaw for 125 dollars. No error lights people!

This would work well for anyone doing any upgrades from hydraulic to normal. I estimate the weight saved was 20 pounds net.

Paint was a bit....but it is perfect.

My only issue was getting the darn brake light in (the top rubber seal). Anyone have a simple way to to it? Gosh it is a pita.

I love it. I have it on least downforce and it is really nice feeling. SamboTT had a gt2 wing and said he could feel this one clearly had more downforce. It has about 2x the surface area and has a very aggressive airfoil shape. I'll leave it there to minimally unbalance the car. If I put splitters on the car, I'll go more aggressive. I have some splitters in CF (actually some winglets) from England and may or may not use them. I am not sure I'll need them.
But, I am keeping them in reserve. In a few years when the kids don't fit in the back, bars/fixed back seats will go in.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-22-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a rear view...it is snowing today guys.

Pumalex wanted to know how the uprights looked. I think the attachment points on the wing dictated what SamboTT did....SamboTT, please chime in. Pumalex and others have been asking about the design and construction. Long detailed post with parts/hours/methods would be more than welcome by a number of users here...some with a long history on the site.

Special thanks to:

SamboTT for shipping so fast and trying to ship it so well despite FedEx.
MAShaw for making a harness that takes the errors out of things.
For the local paint shop that if given a chance and some inspiration, can charge 25% of the dealer and do a better job too.....and I asked the dealer to come down a little and they refused....even 10%.
For all the help here.
For Eric and BumperPlugs for getting me the satin turbo logo super fast. I know I need bumperettes....not this month.
Rat Racing Graphics for the enlarged custom track maps. I was the first one to ask for NJMP last year and I think the first for bigger maps...wing owners take note.

Anyway, it is my private race car.

Jeff

Attached Images  

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-22-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for the picture. From what i can see the uprights are kind of twisted to make sure they adapt straight on the blade.

do i see correct?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Nice finished product Jeff. Welcome to the big wing club. What is the chord and span?

Last edited by Al Norton; 02-22-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Thank you!

Cord: 12"

Span: 56" The endplates have some curve and downward wing, so add 2" more or so.

It contributes no noise to the drive ....within the limits of a few seconds with the windows down....it is cold. No snow comes in. Aero design by Porsche is superb.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-23-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:57 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Very cool Jeff - looks like a great addition to your car.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 PM
NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !NineNineSixTT Is a GOD !
.... looks good. Great addition to your car

Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Now that is a nice shot!!!!!

I didn't particularly care for the uprights with all the gaps in it, but I like that view.

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Here is a rear view...it is snowing today guys.

Pumalex wanted to know how the uprights looked. I think the attachment points on the wing dictated what SamboTT did....SamboTT, please chime in. Pumalex and others have been asking about the design and construction. Long detailed post with parts/hours/methods would be more than welcome by a number of users here...some with a long history on the site.

Special thanks to:

SamboTT for shipping so fast and trying to ship it so well despite FedEx.
MAShaw for making a harness that takes the errors out of things.
For the local paint shop that if given a chance and some inspiration, can charge 25% of the dealer and do a better job too.....and I asked the dealer to come down a little and they refused....even 10%.
For all the help here.
For Eric and BumperPlugs for getting me the satin turbo logo super fast. I know I need bumperettes....not this month. If Eric send me some in midnight blue, I post.

Anyway, it is my private race car.

Jeff

Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Looking mean Jeff!

Mike

Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Few more views. I think SamboTT was trying to do something sort of TechArt in looks, and it does look good. As is so often the case, it looks better in person than in picture. Somehow, it looks "tense" and about to pounce. I am not sure how to convey that in words on photos. I have to be careful or I'll sound like Chris Bangle.

Thanks guys. I love the look...always felt turbos needed BIG tails.

JB

A few more shots:

Attached Images   

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-22-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Jeff, AWESOME!!!!! congrats, nice job!! and its not too big mine is 63 inches wide!!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Ok, I'll admit this one time. Tom's is bigger.

In 30-40 mph gusts today it was much more planted than with the prior type 1 cf wing at over 60 mph. I did not push the speed limit here (I don't drive super fast on public roads)....and cannot wait for the track. It is clearly aero courage as sambott says.

jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-22-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey guys,
Thanks for the kind words Jeff.

I did put a twist in the uprights Pumalex...good observation. That was so that they would line up. The 1/4 panels taper in as they come down to the bumper so a twist was the onlt way to get a streight line on the blade. I looked at a lot of cup cars and noticed the 997's and cheater 996's came back a little to get more air on the wing coming off the roof. Then I took a compromised height (lower since it's back further) and it seams to cut into some pretty fast air. I also learned in testing that too much aggle just becomes an air brake and the wing looses it's designed effect. Imagine an airplane angling it's wings.

The cut-outs or openings in the uprights are for weight savings and air flow due to the twist. Now I think that they just look cool too. My body shop may still ahve the templated if anyone would like some made and you could adapt almost any wing blade. The hard part is finding a bodyshop to work the decklid. I chose the rs blade since it was designes around the 996 chassis.

Have fun Jeff and I think you will find that setting to be the best.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
thanks Sam, that's the info i was looking for.

Nice to know someone did something similar to what i have for a project, at least i know it can be done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Big wing conversion question (GT2 decklid upgraders, this is for you guys!)