996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Big wing conversion question (GT2 decklid upgraders, this is for you guys!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:37 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Iceyankee-Tsi
Hello everyone:

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the great welcome that I have received from you.

Roadsterdoc: Thank you for some great compliments and it is a great pleasure to provide as much help as I can give. I know that all of you also have a great amount of knowkledge in these cars that hopefully with time I will be obtaining.

Now!!! The definite solution to the check spoiler warning in the dash for the minimum amount of 0 dollars with cero cents!!!! This is from my 2001 911 turbo and I understand it applies to all other 996 turbos since the system is the same.

Just as I previously said, it all went down to looking for the appropriate switch combination that will fool the ECU to think that the spoiler is upward all the time. All this was performed in the spoiler-engine cover stock harness. I have attached two pictures. One illustrates the right spoiler ram assembly(looked from the rear). This is the ram that has attached two micro-switches. One of them has a blue cable and a black cable and the other switch has a gray cable and a black cable also. These switches do not perform alike. What I mean is that when one of the switches is depressed, it provides continuity between both of its cables. While the other switch opens its circuit.

As seen in the second picture, I removed the assembly to show how it works. The little metal clip makes contact with the inner sleeve of the ramp as there are two cut-outs in the ramp that allows contact between the clips and the ramp sleeve.( There are two metal clips but i lost one of them today). When the spoiler is downward, these two clips(hence the switches) are pressed. This switch combination tells the ECU that the spoiler is downward. When the spoiler is fully extended, both clips are released and the switches as well. Hence, telling the ECU that the spoiler is extended. If the switchin the upper section of the ramp is not released, guess what message you get:"spoiler warning ".

So, in order to get rid of this spoiler warning for ever is:

Simply simulate the position of the spoiler extended with the switches by disconnecting them from the spoiler ramp bracket and securing them in the released position. Or the same thing without the switches:

1- Make the gray cable and the black cable have continuity at all times. This can be done by cutting the cables from the switch and connecting them together.

2- Cut the cables from the micro-switch that have the blue cable and black cable and isolate them with electrical tape in order to prevent continuity from them.

Finally, remember to disconnect the plug of the spoiler switch control in the dash, since as you may imagine if for some reason you press the "spoiler downward" option the warning will appear. This will happen since after a few seconds of the ECU not receiving the micro-switch combination of the "spoiler down" status it may think that something has gone wrong.

I have done this today with absolute success. My testing included several 70 MPH pulls with no spoiler warnings. Hence, it is proven. Any doubts, just let me know.

Best regards, Andres

Awesome. This figuring out should reward more creds. Good work, thanks!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:25 AM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MrWhite
Awesome. This figuring out should reward more creds. Good work, thanks!
did it work for you? leaving the switches unpressed and taped up didn't work for me. I plan to try cutting off the switches and doing the wiring that Andres recommended.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
I just got the mashaw decklid/wing and he said it comes with a "harness". From memory, remembered michael saying it was for the brakelight? I could have rememebered wrong. what i am hoping is the brake light requires no harness and the harness he was referring to is the one mentioed for "125" bucks.

About the decklid hinges/attachements. Read an earlier post advising gt2 parts are required? I was under the impression the mashaw lid would bolt right onto standard 996tt fixtures.

Thanks

Looks great, I will be redoing the wing stays as well, something like the 997gt3RS.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TunaRollZ
did it work for you? leaving the switches unpressed and taped up didn't work for me. I plan to try cutting off the switches and doing the wiring that Andres recommended.
completed the wiring today. I'll test it out the next time I get a chance to take the p-car out.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TunaRollZ
completed the wiring today. I'll test it out the next time I get a chance to take the p-car out.
A good reason to take it out would be to test it.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Iceyankee-Tsi is infamous around these parts
Greetings guys:

Thanks all of you for your positive comments. Just to let you know, it has been a long time and NO rear spoiler warning light on my dash. It does work without a doubt. However, my car is a 2001 TT and I don't know if further years may had any wiring changes.

Best regards, Andres

Old 10-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Greetings guys:

Thanks all of you for your positive comments. Just to let you know, it has been a long time and NO rear spoiler warning light on my dash. It does work without a doubt. However, my car is a 2001 TT and I don't know if further years may had any wiring changes.

Best regards, Andres
Good to hear about your '01. Mine's also an '01 and we both know our '01 wing raising circuits are different from the later years lol (like the fact that we can't use the porsche scan tool to disable our active wing).

Old 11-01-2009, 09:00 PM
I tested the GT2 decklid thoroughly today a appropriate speed for 996TT automatic "wing up" activation, with using the harness solution of just disconnecting the microswitches and securing them so they will stay open / not engage them (I just moved the harness from my 996TT OEM decklid to the GT2 decklid - brake light and engine fan works).

It works with absolutely no warning light whatsoever.

By a fixed wing harness for $270? Don't think so!

Old 11-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Greetings guys:

Best regards, Andres
I tested it on my 02 today as well, has a GT2 lid now. No warning light.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Iceyankee-Tsi is infamous around these parts
Glad to hear it worked as expected Mr. White. I don't know if you did it, but also remember to diconnect the harness from the spoiler (up/down) function in the dash. Since if somebody press it, the warning will come since there will be no action from the system.
Regards, Andres

Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Glad to hear it worked as expected Mr. White. I don't know if you did it, but also remember to diconnect the harness from the spoiler (up/down) function in the dash. Since if somebody press it, the warning will come since there will be no action from the system.
Regards, Andres
It is on my "to do"-list to do this, however I am trying to figure out how to, without removing half the center console. Anyone have suggestions?

EDIT: Answering this myself - click the frame around the stereo off by pulling gently, then unplug switch, then click the frame back. haha

Last edited by MrWhite; 11-04-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Kevganzon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
This is all I know in the jpeg attached. I am assuming it will work if you take a stock harness out of a stock decklid and put it into a gt2 or other big decklid with fixed wing, as your post suggested....found this via search. It was answering a person's question about keeping the stock wing up for good (or down)...just seemed to make sense if there was not wing motor at all. My post here is meant/aimed at getting confirmation from you guys out there who have done this.

TIA

Jeff
Good post

Old 11-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Good DYI!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
Thanks for the good info guys. I was going to just attempt this myself and this clearly makes sense. I'll try it out this weekend.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Hello everyone:

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the great welcome that I have received from you.

Roadsterdoc: Thank you for some great compliments and it is a great pleasure to provide as much help as I can give. I know that all of you also have a great amount of knowkledge in these cars that hopefully with time I will be obtaining.

Now!!! The definite solution to the check spoiler warning in the dash for the minimum amount of 0 dollars with cero cents!!!! This is from my 2001 911 turbo and I understand it applies to all other 996 turbos since the system is the same.

Just as I previously said, it all went down to looking for the appropriate switch combination that will fool the ECU to think that the spoiler is upward all the time. All this was performed in the spoiler-engine cover stock harness. I have attached two pictures. One illustrates the right spoiler ram assembly(looked from the rear). This is the ram that has attached two micro-switches. One of them has a blue cable and a black cable and the other switch has a gray cable and a black cable also. These switches do not perform alike. What I mean is that when one of the switches is depressed, it provides continuity between both of its cables. While the other switch opens its circuit.

As seen in the second picture, I removed the assembly to show how it works. The little metal clip makes contact with the inner sleeve of the ramp as there are two cut-outs in the ramp that allows contact between the clips and the ramp sleeve.( There are two metal clips but i lost one of them today). When the spoiler is downward, these two clips(hence the switches) are pressed. This switch combination tells the ECU that the spoiler is downward. When the spoiler is fully extended, both clips are released and the switches as well. Hence, telling the ECU that the spoiler is extended. If the switchin the upper section of the ramp is not released, guess what message you get:"spoiler warning ".

So, in order to get rid of this spoiler warning for ever is:

Simply simulate the position of the spoiler extended with the switches by disconnecting them from the spoiler ramp bracket and securing them in the released position. Or the same thing without the switches:

1- Make the gray cable and the black cable have continuity at all times. This can be done by cutting the cables from the switch and connecting them together.

2- Cut the cables from the micro-switch that have the blue cable and black cable and isolate them with electrical tape in order to prevent continuity from them.

Finally, remember to disconnect the plug of the spoiler switch control in the dash, since as you may imagine if for some reason you press the "spoiler downward" option the warning will appear. This will happen since after a few seconds of the ECU not receiving the micro-switch combination of the "spoiler down" status it may think that something has gone wrong.

I have done this today with absolute success. My testing included several 70 MPH pulls with no spoiler warnings. Hence, it is proven. Any doubts, just let me know.

Best regards, Andres
SOrry for rehashing this thread out but thanks!