996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Big wing conversion question (GT2 decklid upgraders, this is for you guys!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:45 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Question Big wing conversion question (GT2 decklid upgraders, this is for you guys!)

I bought samboTT's big (think Tom Kerr's Getty Design size) wing.

Let's say I plan to put it on my car permanently. I need as it is coming to me to move my fan, harness, and the plastic stuff that says mobil one/emission on stickers over. The lid is OEM turbo, so this is going to be trivial. Lids bolt on fast if you look at the MAShaw site, he says it is 5 minutes).

So I do that and plug it all in, I'll be missing the hydraulics (and the weight ), and will get an error message.

Is there a simple solution to making the error solution go away?

Searches on this site yielded some confusing data, hence my post:

1. There is a hack to cross wires.. IA post by S.K.

2. There is a rumor of a 30 dollar harness from Misha. Misha, is this true?

3. There is a "go to the dealer and the PWIS can just turn that off permanently" implication in many posts, but I am not clear about this...is it forever, etc.

Thanks everyone in advance. Given the huge number of GT2 decklid conversion (and other decklids) here, I figure someone must have a simple, affordable solution.

Jeff

Old 02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
you do need the harness so you dont get the error message .

Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
from what I've seen, the 3 ways you've mentioned are all proven methods.

I was told Mashaw had a 30 dollar harness...he didn't though. He had a 200 dollar harness. which you could also get at the dealer.

Misha didn't have one. I checked.

I'm going to try the dealership method. Using their tool to set that option to off should be the least painful. Once I get to doing it, I'll let you know (unless you end up going before I get a chance)

Old 02-06-2009, 02:20 PM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
Does the dealer sell a harness that correlates with gt2/aerokit fixed wings and its just plugged in? or do they have to do some kind of programming as well?...

Old 02-06-2009, 02:34 PM
TunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of lightTunaRollZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by soothsayer
Does the dealer sell a harness that correlates with gt2/aerokit fixed wings and its just plugged in? or do they have to do some kind of programming as well?...
ya. it's like 200 dollars or so.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
Oh Oh Oh pick ME!!!!!!!

I had mine turned off at the dealer.

Porschespeeddeamon is on the board here and he did it on my car

Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Small Shrimp: So, you have a stock (hydro) harness and it was turned off, or you have a gt2 harness form dealer or MA Shaw and you had the light turned off...

Thanks!!! Thank you everyone! I just want the cheapest/easiest option....I have the original stuff in hand and would love to just use it.

Jeff

Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Small Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to allSmall Shrimp is a name known to all
I have stock harness and the Misha GT2 Decklid.

If Chance pops back online I will point him to this thread

I saw him do it AND had not had a beer. REALLY!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 PM
This is all I know in the jpeg attached. I am assuming it will work if you take a stock harness out of a stock decklid and put it into a gt2 or other big decklid with fixed wing, as your post suggested....found this via search. It was answering a person's question about keeping the stock wing up for good (or down)...just seemed to make sense if there was not wing motor at all. My post here is meant/aimed at getting confirmation from you guys out there who have done this.

TIA

Jeff

Attached Images  

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-06-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Jeff,

When you do this, would you please take some pictures and document the procedure? I'm getting ready to do this, too.

Regards,

John

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Sure. The wing is in the mail. I have to paint it midnight blue...so it will be a bit of time. But, yes.

Stephen is quite clear in his writing, so I hope it is easy. I figure if the sensor is crossed and the motor is d/c'd, it "should" work...

I emailed him (PorschePHD) and I suspect he'll get back to me in a day or two.

Jeff

I am hoping it looks a little like this, but in midnight blue.

Attached Images  

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-06-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Reaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant futureReaper935 has a brilliant future
Sweet can't wait to see it is it 60" or 70" element?

Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 AM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Small Shrimp
I have stock harness and the Misha GT2 Decklid.

If Chance pops back online I will point him to this thread

I saw him do it AND had not had a beer. REALLY!
Yup this can be done. I am not 100% sure on the years that it applies to, but the car is basically told that it is equipped with a factory aerokit, ie...no hydraulic wing. This may or may not be aplicable to early 996TTs, because I don't think the aerokit was an option, however it still may have been programmed to not have it, even if it was not an option. No hacking of wiring, or ordering harnesses, and is pretty simple to reverse if one decides to go back to hydraulics.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
Yup this can be done. I am not 100% sure on the years that it applies to, but the car is basically told that it is equipped with a factory aerokit, ie...no hydraulic wing. This may or may not be aplicable to early 996TTs, because I don't think the aerokit was an option, however it still may have been programmed to not have it, even if it was not an option. No hacking of wiring, or ordering harnesses, and is pretty simple to reverse if one decides to go back to hydraulics.
Then that is the way I am going. PWIS and 30 mintues of dealer time. The local dealer is very, very DE friendly.

We are all sure durametric cannot do this. I don't have one yet...and that to me would be justification...I have a generic code reader right now....pep boys...does what I need when used with Google.

Thank you!

Jeff

Old 02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'm utterly useless in this thread, other than to say my car came with a GT2 rear wing/decklid(?) and I have zero errors. I still have the button on the dash for the wing, but it is turned off or unplugged...

Good info...

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Big wing conversion question (GT2 decklid upgraders, this is for you guys!)