996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

959 project info...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 11:34 AM
deanger is infamous around these parts
959 project info...

I've gotten a lot of e-mails so I thought I would post some basic information I've learned along the way...

BACKGROUND -- THE 959

Production numbers: Depending on who you ask, Porsche produced somewhere between 283-288 959's. Almost all were in the 87-88 run. There were a few 959s done in 1989 and a few done in the 90's out of spare parts. One 959 was involved in a pretty bad accident, and the owner subsequently turned it into a 959 Cabriolet, which is quite beautiful actually.

As many of you know, the 959 was 'illegal' to drive in the US until recently, however, when they were first being produced, Porsche did earmark 26 (or as many as 29) cars -- The 959's' -- which it equipped with the expectation these cars would be given the okay -- but subsequently they did not get it.

The 959 came in two basic editions "Luxury" and "Sport" -- I believe there were 30 sport editions. These cars eliminated the passenger side mirror, AC, ride height-adjustment, shock absorber adjustment, rear seats, leather on front seat, and I think the power windows.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:35 AM
In 2001, 959s became eligible for very limited use in the US under the "Show and Display" law -- which you can read about of the D.O.T site. Essentially, it allows for collectors to import cars such as the 959, provided they meet a strict series of criteria. You are not importing a Show and Display car to be a dailty-driver-- at the most you can accumulate 2,500 miles per year on the odometer. Just enough to keep the car running well, all the sytems in shape, and get it to a car show or two. But, before you can do any of that, the car has to pass all the EPA standards for the US and in my case, the stricter CA as well. This involves modifications -- and thus one has to work hard to strike a balance between the original character of the car AND make sure it can pass your local smog test...

Old 09-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Finding a car:

There are a handful of 959's already imported, converted and in the US awaiting a buyer. There are a dozen or so for sale publicly, mainly in Europe, many of which you can browse on the internet.

Buying a car that is already here and done saves you time -- anywhere from 4-12 months. Buying a car that is not already a US converted car allows one a greater selection, and potentially a better value, but requires time, patience, paperwork, a lot of shipping the car around...

MAKING A CAR US LEGAL

The steps to do the above are basically the following, once you've agreed to buy the car. 1) Apply for Show and Display approval -- for info see D.O.T. -- among the things you need is a letter from the factory comfirming details of the car's production. 2) Once you get that -- which can take weeks to months -- you bring the car into the US clearing customs and deliver directly to the shop of record where it will be converted. 3) After the conversion is done, and all mechanical fixes necessary for the EPA are done, the car is tested and approved and given a 49-state ok. 4) Then, ship the car to a place where it can get the stricter California tests, if you want to title it in CA. 5) Then and only then, ship it to whoever will fix, upgrade, everything ELSE that might be wrong with your 16 year old car. 6) Drive it less than 2,500 Miles per year.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:41 AM
SPECIFICS

#1) Apply for and obtain a SHOW OR DISPLAY exemption.

The application itself isn't all that complicated, and the process is made much easier by the fact that the 959 has already been approved by the D.O.T. as a vehicle that meets the "Historical or technological significance" criteria.

My application contained the following: Photos of the car, proof of an insurance policy limiting the car to 2,500 Miles per year, a letter from Porsche stating the yr and month of the production of my Vin# car, proof of sale and ownership (in my case a Japanese title with translation) and the name of the registered importer and conversion house -- (the people who are going to take the car and make it "legal")

CONVERTING

The crucial part of "legalizing" a 959 is getting it up to EPA standards, and in my case, CA standards as well. This involves the addition of Cats, a few other tweaks, and adjustment of the software. Without giving too much away, different people approach this differently, and the key is striking the balance between a car that is legal and a car that still performs pretty well. You don't want a legal car that ends up with 220hp anymore than you want one that drives like a beast but fails every test. Moreover, in the case of a CA car, you may also need to plan for the addition of an electric air pump -- My car may be the first NOT to need this.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:46 AM
RECONDITIONING

There are a few places in the US that have the knowledge and experience to fix up your car once it is legal.. Porsche claims to still make all the necessary parts for the car. I'll soon see I guess...

CANEPA

Currently, Bruce Canepa offers an exstensive program for 959's. I think it is best to call it an update/upgrade.. He does a lot of work to the car to make a a modernized 959, and will even turn the standard "adjustable" suspension into the non-adjustable sport suspension.

I have not gone this route as of yet. Which isn't to say I won't. Merely that for now I am just working on bring the 1987 959 experience to me. After that, we'll see what I choose to do.

Old 09-14-2003, 01:00 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
The 959 is an awesome car but to spend $400,000 and only be able to drive it 2500 miles a year. NO WAY! Give me a Carrera GT!

Just my opinion of course!

Old 09-14-2003, 01:48 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Dean, what does the conversion cost? If you don't feel comfortable posting it pm me!!

Last edited by Duane; 09-14-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:58 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by buddyg
The 959 is an awesome car but to spend $400,000 and only be able to drive it 2500 miles a year. NO WAY! Give me a Carrera GT!

Just my opinion of course!

totally different animal. the 959 is a legend. it is probably the best car that has ever been built in terms of being ahead of the times. The CGT is using modern tecnology , the 959 redefined what modern tecnology was.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
Regarding the 2,500mi a year rule...Who the heck enforces this rule? Does the EPA police come to your house and check the odometer?

Old 09-14-2003, 03:37 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Chris Y.
Regarding the 2,500mi a year rule...Who the heck enforces this rule? Does the EPA police come to your house and check the odometer?
also what about track milage? The DOT has no power over you if you are on private land, no?

Old 09-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Well, it is supposedly 2500 miles total, but this is obviously a very trick situation...

My car will cost MUCH MUCH MUCH less than a CGT...

Conversion costs are Generally price of car +40k (ballpark)... Plus anything else you might want done

Old 09-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Doody is infamous around these parts
how can the 2500 mile rule apply to private pavement?

chris - i assume the policing is your insurance company. you have to show that the car is insured for no more than 2500 miles per year and that if you exceed that your insurance lapses. presumably you wouldn't drive a car like this ("show and display") without insurance given its value? and presumably they don't put ****boxes on the "show and display" eligibility list? of course why you coudn't increase your insurance coverage after the fact is a fair question. and if you're willing to drive your 959 on the track it probably woudln't be covered by that policy anyway.

doody.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:46 PM
THIS JUST IN...

The EPA will official release my converted Vehicle to me on October 3rd... At which time it will be trucked to No. Cal for Cali emissions and title...

Keep your fingers crossed....

Old 09-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Great news Dean!!!!!