996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

16/24 horse power difference from stock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
wowgogs is infamous around these parts
16/24 horse power difference from stock

I have searched the boards and not really found a straight answer...

So I am wondering how much power and is it worth if for me to change my stock turbos to 16/24's.
I have the softronic flash so I can get it reprogrammed to match the new turbos. Other that that its stock.

Thanks

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
That would be a nice upgrade. I went from stock K16's with a flash and exhaust to the 16/24's and it was a nice jump. I think it will yield about a 100 HP increase.

The problem with it is that it will be the beginning of a never ending yearn for more power. A year later I was doing it all over again...bigger turbos, fuel injectors...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 PM
does the rear bumper need to come off to change the turbos? if I don't do exhaust right away will that make a big difference in power add?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
I don't think the rear bumper has to come off to do the turbos, but removing the rear bumper takes about 5 minutes. It's simple, quick and easy.

An exhaust is a major factor in achieving the max HP from your car. We are seeing 40 AWHP peak gains (that's about 50 peak flywheel HP) with an exhaust and a flash on mildly modified cars. That said, you can do it without the exhaust and you will still see great gains. The exhaust can always be done at any time down the road. The 16/24's are a nice upgrade.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
Ask Mikelly about his 16/24's.

2022 Cayenne White
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 AM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wowgogs
does the rear bumper need to come off to change the turbos? if I don't do exhaust right away will that make a big difference in power add?
I hear a lot claims about exhaust hp increases, but at the track I haven't seen that to be true as I have had 4 different exhaust sytems on my GT2 and the fastest MPH has been with the stock exhaust system. They make a lot of noise but I haven't seen the mph to back up the claim? The ones that I know of first hand are Europipe Quiet claiming 50hp, Agency exhaust, Proto Tech custom race muffler. They all claim hp on the dyno but when I got to the track my GT2 ran better MPH trap speeds with the stock exhaust system.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:11 AM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jamie furman
i hear a lot claims about exhaust hp increases, but at the track i haven't seen that to be true as i have had 4 different exhaust sytems on my gt2 and the fastest mph has been with the stock exhaust system. They make a lot of noise but i haven't seen the mph to back up the claim? The ones that i know of first hand are europipe quiet claiming 50hp, agency exhaust, proto tech custom race muffler. They all claim hp on the dyno but when i got to the track my gt2 ran better mph trap speeds with the stock exhaust system.
+1 ^^^^^

Old 02-10-2009, 07:42 AM
laurent965 is infamous around these parts
i have a set of K16/24 zero clearance from UMW , great turbos but you need to install a 5,0 BAR FPR to get all the power from them . Before installing the 5 BAR , my car was running 540 HP , after installing the 5 BAR and a new tuned (for free) i was able to get 571 HP ( euro gas 98 octane)

Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 AM
laurent965 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by laurent965
i have a set of K16/24 zero clearance from UMW , great turbos but you need to install a 5,0 BAR FPR to get all the power from them . Before installing the 5 BAR , my car was running 540 HP , after installing the 5 BAR and a new tuned (for free) i was able to get 571 HP ( euro gas 98 octane)

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 AM
EvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant futureEvoForever has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jamie furman
I hear a lot claims about exhaust hp increases, but at the track I haven't seen that to be true as I have had 4 different exhaust sytems on my GT2 and the fastest MPH has been with the stock exhaust system. They make a lot of noise but I haven't seen the mph to back up the claim? The ones that I know of first hand are Europipe Quiet claiming 50hp, Agency exhaust, Proto Tech custom race muffler. They all claim hp on the dyno but when I got to the track my GT2 ran better MPH trap speeds with the stock exhaust system.
The stock exhaust with stock turbos won't be much worse than aftermarket exhaust, but when you go to higher flow hybrids as noted above, the higher flow exhaust is necessary. So I can see how you did not notice anything, that would make sense. But someone with hybrids might need it. The larger the turbo the more necessary it would be. Still, a 50 bhp claim seems kinda high, I cannot imagine that being the case except in a car with huge turbos.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I notice better power with an exhaust via track times. The problem is time passed and I may have also improved. I do believe we "learn" to drive the car based on the stock torque curve. It may require you to shift at 500+ RPM different shift points to get the most of the new exhaust, etc....as you may have lost torque down low.....

JB

Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by laurent965

How hard is it to install a 5.0 bar FPR?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by wowgogs
How hard is it to install a 5.0 bar FPR?
I've heard it isn't too bad, but I could be wrong. I know on most other cars it can take like 10 minutes. If I had to guess on the 996 Turbo, probably less than an hour, I assume.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 PM
derm is infamous around these parts
Please forgive my ignorance.
Is 16/24 hybrid means keeping one stock K16 and change the other one to 24?? If so, why not 24/24 .
And what is FPR?
Thanks!
^______^

Old 02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by derm
Please forgive my ignorance.
Is 16/24 hybrid means keeping one stock K16 and change the other one to 24?? If so, why not 24/24 .
And what is FPR?
Thanks!
^______^
Haha, your ignorance is forgiven, simply because I had a great laugh at that one. It's all good

Heh, anyways, K16/24 means you take your stock K16 turbos and have K24 compressor wheels installed on them - somewhat known as "zero clearance" turbos. The compressor wheels cause even greater airflow.

So basically you change your two K16s into two K16/24 hybrids.... OR you can just buy two regular K24 turbos and be done with it (which would be the "K24 setup" (K24s come off 996TT X50s, 996 Turbo S's and 996 GT2s) - kind of what you meant in the last part about 24/24).

Make sense? heh

Last edited by Renegades; 02-10-2009 at 09:56 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 16/24 horse power difference from stock