996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ok, i've got the K24s, and all the hardware, now I need tuning..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Ok, i've got the K24s, and all the hardware, now I need tuning..

Alright,
K24s are going one first of next week, along with p/p headers, 5 bar fpr, straight pipes, DVs, and BMC air filter.

Right now i'm in a dilemma. The car currently has FVD tuning for my K16s, purchased by the previous owner, but FVD will be charging me for the new files unfortunately - previously I was just going to go with them for tuning, assuming it'd be free.

Alright,
I may still go with them, but i'm on the fence.

If i'm having to pay for new tuning, I might as well see what my other options are.

I need the nastiest, sweetest, most powerful (times/dyno proven) tuning for my setup..

Who do you guys suggest i look into?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
um.....PROTOMOTIVE , i would also get wastgate actuators , and later on when you get bored with your k24s, which you will quickly id do the oll 18G treatment.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Renegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of lightRenegades is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by unvmym3
um.....PROTOMOTIVE , i would also get wastgate actuators , and later on when you get bored with your k24s, which you will quickly id do the oll 18G treatment.
Yeah,
Here's the thing....

If I go FVD, and then decide I want to go with 18Gs, they don't do tuning for those - so all the money spent on the tuning will be down the drain.

If I go with Protomotive, EPL, etc., then I can always upgrade to their 18G tune - correct?

Just trying to see what my options are. FVD is still giving me a good deal though, since I already have their programing. But i'd hate to pay for FVD, then later have to pay for someone else's tuning for 18Gs, you know?

Also,
Do you guys think i'll be able to get a flash/tune for like $1200 or less?

Last edited by Renegades; 02-11-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
EPL...you'll get credit towards the 18G tune, which you'll be getting soon...

Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
EPL...you'll get credit towards the 18G tune, which you'll be getting soon...
Haha, are you psychic?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
correct i dont think fvd does 18 g and so on. i would do protomotive . i beleive is tuning is superior to epl .no one knows the dme like Todd k.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
No matter what make sure and get upgraded wastegates with any K24 flash. This consists of noting more than stiffer springs to help keep the wastegates closed and only open them as the ECU/Boost controller calls for it.

Makes a big difference.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by ari
No matter what make sure and get upgraded wastegates with any K24 flash. This consists of noting more than stiffer springs to help keep the wastegates closed and only open them as the ECU/Boost controller calls for it.

Makes a big difference.
Ari,
I worked this out when I got the turbos from Sam on here. He set the wastegate 'rods' to 34mm instead of their stock 30mm position. It puts more "pre-tension" on the springs if I and saying it correctly heh.

It's an easy alternative to buying stiffer wastegate springs, etc. He said it should suffice for my setup for now. Quicker spool, and it'll hold boost better.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
correct i dont think fvd does 18 g and so on. i would do protomotive . i beleive is tuning is superior to epl .no one knows the dme like Todd k.
That's a very bold statement that I will refrain from commenting fully on. Feel free to email me if you would like to discuss.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Renegades
Yeah,
Here's the thing....

If I go FVD, and then decide I want to go with 18Gs, they don't do tuning for those - so all the money spent on the tuning will be down the drain.

If I go with Protomotive, EPL, etc., then I can always upgrade to their 18G tune - correct?

Just trying to see what my options are. FVD is still giving me a good deal though, since I already have their programing. But i'd hate to pay for FVD, then later have to pay for someone else's tuning for 18Gs, you know?

Also,
Do you guys think i'll be able to get a flash/tune for like $1200 or less?
Give me a ring tomorrow if you would like to discuss tuning options!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Give me a ring tomorrow if you would like to discuss tuning options!
Tony,
I'll give you a shout! Sounds good, I need to do something soon, just weighing my options (price/best deal/ tuning yields, etc) - turbos are going on the car next Tuesday.

My name is Micah, i'll call you early afternoon.

Last edited by Renegades; 02-11-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I was fortunate enough to have ARD help me set up my wastegate upgrades...and he used a PSI gauge to set each side to open at 8.50 to 8.75 PSI....this was a lot more accurate than a mm setting for each side...especially when you consider that the wastegate rod on the passenger's side is a bit longer than the one on the driver's side. ARD did up a DIY write-up on it...I think it was on Rennlist....but you should take a look at it before you go arbitrarily setting your wastegates with metric settings. They may not open at the same time....or open too soon/too late.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
That's a very bold statement that I will refrain from commenting fully on. Feel free to email me if you would like to discuss.
indeed it is .. go ahead and comment on here , the board has the right to know on why you apparently think your tune is better ,,,,, hes tuned some of the fastest cars in the world ,some record holding 60- 130's . hes flown to germany to tune cars from big race teams ... where are your big numbers ? and im not tyring to be an *** here either...

Old 02-12-2009, 08:20 AM
luva966tt is infamous around these partsluva966tt is infamous around these parts
I went from an k24 with giac to an k24/18g protomotive----difference is night and day

Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor
indeed it is .. go ahead and comment on here , the board has the right to know on why you apparently think your tune is better ,,,,, hes tuned some of the fastest cars in the world ,some record holding 60- 130's . hes flown to germany to tune cars from big race teams ... where are your big numbers ? and im not tyring to be an *** here either...
We make all our own flashing/data logging in house and do not rely on 3rd party vendors to flash/log our products. Dissembling and writing your own tools is like building an engine. If you’ve never done it before, you don’t know exactly how things come apart and go back together….

We are the first tuner in the Porsche world to incorporating motorsports features such as launch control, flat shifting, gear dependent rev limits and soon to be released, gear dependent boost.. This is because we are not just "tuning maps" we are changing large sections of code in the DME.

We tune using as many of the factory PID loops and strategies as possible. Basically using all functions of the DME, and not just "shutting" things off that stand in our way.

We successfully tuned multiple external wastegate cars using factory boost control and not EBC's that other weren’t able to tune.

I believe we are the only tuner in the 996 world setting proper deadtime and voltage compensation specific for the injectors we use.... Many other tuners 60lb injector files only function at ~55lb because of this.

We understand what happens with the factory knock control at or around 6000 rpm. Im not going to explain this one further, but let’s just say most engine damage due to poor tuning on 996tt’s happens between 6000-7200.

Im fairly sure we have a few of the highest horsepower stock engine 996's in the world at this point....

Im not saying there aren’t other tuners in the market that do at great job. Im just saying it’s a very bold statement to say one is superior to another without knowing all the facts.

Last edited by Tony@epl; 02-12-2009 at 08:49 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ok, i've got the K24s, and all the hardware, now I need tuning..