996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ABS/PSM Issue (Not your normal problem...) Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
ABS/PSM Issue (Not your normal problem...) Please help!

So I've been doing a lot of searching in all the old threads about PSM/ABS issues and it's usually one of two things. First its the MAF, but it almost always has a CEL and the car runs bad. The other is the brake light switch which makes the brake lights not work. My problem is not either one... So I'm kinda left clueless and so is the dealer. They have a few ideas what can be wrong, but nothing definite.

It all started a few days ago after about 100-110miles after getting the car running again. Its about 55* outside and the car is warmed up. I roll into boost in 2nd gear and right as it gets to 1.0bar or so (I had it set at 1.1) the throttle body shuts and the PSM/ABS light comes on. There was no CEL, but I didn't even think about that part. So I was like damn my MAF blew up. I pull over about a mile down the road and hook up my Durametric to check to see whats up and possibly reset any codes if there was just a hiccup in the DME. I goto DME and then goto the Fault tab... Nothing is there, it has 0 Faults and you can reset it all you want and check again and there is nothing. I go to ABS/PSM and there is an error, but no code number. I don't remember exactly what it said but when I went to reset it I get an error that says cannot connect to DME. I kept trying that and that was the error I kept getting.

I spent a little while resetting the battery multiple times including doing a full drain on the electrical system. Within 5-10 seconds of it running the light comes back on. So I take it to the dealer and they come back and tell me that the DME is showing there are no errors, but the ABS/PSM system which works along side of the DME is detecting there are some errors in the DME. So they tell me it's either one of three things. The first is there is something wrong with the tune (but I've had it over a year without a problem like this). The second is that the DME was actually failing or had an error in it. The third is that the ABS/PSM unit was actually bad itself. The only thing about the third is that if you pull the fuse for the PSM/ABS it brings up the ASR light also so I think that helps eliminate that.

The funniest thing about it is that the car runs PERFECTLY fine, feels smooth as can be in boost, the air/fuels are perfect, the idle is perfect, etc.. So it really rules out the MAF in my opinion.

So basically I am at a loss. I am going to order a new DME and try that first I guess because the ABS/PSM system is not cheap. Has anyone ever seen this issue?? I need to get it fixed ASAP, because the car cannot pass state inspection and it went out last month

Thanks,
-Chris

Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 AM
justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !justinmm2 Is a GOD !
I know it sounds strange, but how long have you had the battery? Mine had ABS/PSM errors recently that were usually solved by a "reboot".. Didn't know what it was until the battery died one night. Ever since they replaced the battery, haven't seen them since.

A long shot, but just mentioning it in case you want to try it before something $$

Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Brand new battery, because my last one literly died and would not charge back. The only thing that lead me to believe it was the DME is because we actually blew a fuel pump due to something with electrical. It was either one of two ways either leaded fuel stayed in the pump to long and caused it to gum up and make it work overload to get fuel. The other is that it got to many jolts due to Engine Start startups on our battery charger. The problem is the pump was working overtime (drawing 15+amps) and it would get the ground so hot it'd almost melt the wire before we turned it off.

The battery I replaced it with was the stock replacement according to the computers at O'riellys. It has the same cold cranking amps, etc. as the stock one.

Plus everytime I reset the computer it comes back on instantly sadly I thought maybe it was just a DME hicup at first so that was my first thing to try.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
the fact the car is running perfect is strange ,hmm.. could it be option 3 ?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Maybe there is a poor connection somewhere in DME harness between DME and ABS/PSM unit...check both units for it...If the DME can not communicate with PSM...

Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Does anyone know were the abs/psm unit is located?
Thanks,
Matt

Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I have another DME on the way here. It should be here sometime next week. Thank you Red-9!

We'll see if this and the Mass Air fixes anything.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I've been having the same issue as well Chris. Now my brake distribution is on which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the ABS/PSM. Since I run the Hitachi MAF it can not be the MAF b/c it is good up to 1000HP. Well, I will also let you guys know what happens. How is that Box doing Chris? Anytimes yet?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by art4iza
I've been having the same issue as well Chris. Now my brake distribution is on which leads me to believe that it has something to do with the ABS/PSM. Since I run the Hitachi MAF it can not be the MAF b/c it is good up to 1000HP. Well, I will also let you guys know what happens. How is that Box doing Chris? Anytimes yet?
Art sadly not yet. I played around with it one afternoon, and that's it so far. Nothing impressive because I had a passenger and the boost turned down. I may take advantage of the cold weather we are finally getting tonight though.

Well we did test the 0-60 feature on my brothers SRT-8 Jeep. Ran a 4.6 LOL!

Thanks again man, and please let me know what helps fix your issues. I can't tell if the brake distribution is different, because it feels like it stops the same. It just bothers me that it just decided to shut the TB down and then those lights came on while I was WOT.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
I think you saw the video of me at the speedway with the SRT8, supercharged, and nitros shot. Damn that thing hooked so hard, then I talked to the guy he said 540awhp, holly sh....t This guy would have nailed a regular 997TT or 996TT for that fact. I will let you know what happens. Don't mean to deviate from the subject but watch this clip when you have a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBe6Wlmwsa0

Old 02-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Wow! That damn Jeep looks like it almost is trying to pull the wheels when it left!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:01 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
chris...my guess would be it is fuel related....replacing the DME might band-aid it, but....

Old 02-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
chris...my guess would be it is fuel related....replacing the DME might band-aid it, but....
Statman. I was hoping you'd post in here. It has only done the throttle body close one time. That's when the lights came on. I'm at a loss on this one, so anything you can think of would be SUPER helpful!! Thanks man!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:21 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Damn dude... after dealing with multiple ABS/PSM codes over recent months I feel your pain.... wish I could help.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by flash68
Damn dude... after dealing with multiple ABS/PSM codes over recent months I feel your pain.... wish I could help.
I read your thread also hoping to get some insight but it seems we both have some kind of mythical problem LOL!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ABS/PSM Issue (Not your normal problem...) Please help!