996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I FINALLY decided on which reflash!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
I went from stock K16 to EPL K16 flashand it had perfect drivability. The ONLY noticable difference was way more power...
Wow guys, thanks for those responses! Can't believe I found someone that went from stock k16 GIAC to epl. This forum is great!

Now if the body shop would just hurry up and tell me if I have unibody damage so I can determine whether I'll be getting my car back, or whether it will total (in which case I'll be getting that $65k gt2 for sale on the Dallas Craigslist!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by onelove
When we put the k16 Epl tune in our car Nero was extatic with the results and partial throttle response was much better than stock. Felt like a brand new car after 65k miles, he's driven other flashes as well and I don't recall him ever being so impressed. I personally think it's a win win in terms of value and performance.

-wes
Thanks Wes!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
jsanch21 is infamous around these parts
Dont forget Todd at Protomotive. Excellent customer service, love the way my TT drives!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:09 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
THANKS for all the feedback guys!
I'm just hoping it drives smooth like stock but has the power gains I'm expecting.

Has anyone raised their redlines or added launch control with the reflash?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
If you search for posts under my name, you can see my initial driving impressions. The power was and is fantastic, but what I was most surprised by was how great the car felt otherwise. The throttle response was a night and day difference. The car felt much more direct and it was very easy to modulate at part throttle. Also, right off idle, the car was responsive rather than a turd like stock. Tony said it had to do with playing with the throttle position sensor response and adding a few degrees of timing off idle. Frankly I don't care how he did it, the results were magic.

And aside from all that, the car goes like a raped ape.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I sent my ecu to Wes at Titan and he sent it to EPL for the same flash that the Titan porsche was running. I have 55K on the car and it drives great!! No problems here with the EPL flash. On stock diverter valves (I got new ones from titan not installed) I get about .9-1.1 bar throughout the rpm range. Drives like stock and you wouldn't know the difference except the power.

I didn't really notice the part throttle that much but it may be because before I got the flash, I was boost spiking with straight pipes on the stock ECU. It would go between .8 bar to 1.3 bar sometimes when I let off the throttle. With EPL's ECU flash it's now consistent in the .9-1.1 bar range with much more power. Very fun car.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:38 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
D@mmit! Now I want a flash This mod bug is a cruel mistress Question...if I go with the EPL flash, do I have to send my ECU in? How many days would I be without the car? I noticed on EPL's site that a stage 1 flash is good for +75hp and +95tq...that would make mine just around 500hp (16k turbos)--is that a realistic assumption? Seems like a REALLY good bang for the buck

Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by g8rdmd
D@mmit! Now I want a flash This mod bug is a cruel mistress Question...if I go with the EPL flash, do I have to send my ECU in? How many days would I be without the car? I noticed on EPL's site that a stage 1 flash is good for +75hp and +95tq...that would make mine just around 500hp (16k turbos)--is that a realistic assumption? Seems like a REALLY good bang for the buck
We normally overnigtht the ECU to EPL, and it gets overnighted back from EPL, less than 2 days downtime.

Tony has a Dealer flash loader setup now, a local EPL dealer in your area will be able to flash the car if you don't want the downtime. I believe he's working on a clientside loader as well but this is some time out.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I wanted a flash where I could take it back to stock, or up to a race file if I wanted....

Old 02-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by g8rdmd

it probably is true, but without an aftermarket exhaust I am not sure you can. You definitely should get an aftermarket exhaust, there are many good ones from the sponsors on this board for 2k or so and they will be much better than stock.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:23 AM
SXN
SXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to beholdSXN is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Prche951
it probably is true, but without an aftermarket exhaust I am not sure you can. You definitely should get an aftermarket exhaust, there are many good ones from the sponsors on this board for 2k or so and they will be much better than stock.

Didn't Tony post a dyno graph that showed a stock 996 Turbo making 80ish to the wheels with just a flash??

Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 AM
SXN
Originally Posted by MTheory
I'm in the same boat-figuring out which one to go with. Why did you decide on EPL other than good customer contact? (What about the program do you like?)

Also, was price a factor? How much? I've been told about the GIAC adjustable setup, any insight on why you didn't go with that one?

Thanks
From what I read, Tony's program apparently drives like stock.. and that's what I was aiming for. I want my car to drive smooth like it came from the factory. Some guys were saying the GIAC isn't as smooth.. it's kind of "jerky". The adjustable setup would be nice to have, but I'm assuming it costs twice as much as EPL's?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SXN
Didn't Tony post a dyno graph that showed a stock 996 Turbo making 80ish to the wheels with just a flash??
I'm pretty sure the K16 before and after flash graph you guys are referring to was my car. I can confirm that I never had an exhaust until a month after I installed my hybrid turbos. All dynos of my car with stock K16s (flashed or otherwise) were done with BONE stock hardware (stock DVs, stock exhaust, stock air filter, stock plugs, etc.).

Old 02-21-2009, 10:56 AM
SXN
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
I'm pretty sure the K16 before and after flash graph you guys are referring to was my car. I can confirm that I never had an exhaust until a month after I installed my hybrid turbos. All dynos of my car with stock K16s (flashed or otherwise) were done with BONE stock hardware (stock DVs, stock exhaust, stock air filter, stock plugs, etc.).
What gas were you running at the time of the dyno?

Old 02-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
80 whp with stock exhaust on a flash is excellent IMO. Definitely worth money if that is the only mod you do. Show how conservative the stock programming is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I FINALLY decided on which reflash!